best setting for Tesoro compadre?

Never used one but check this older thread, it may help.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=106480

Good thread with pictures.
Pop tops should not be a problem.
Not only do they usually have a slightly different sound, something you won't learn or understand till you get more hours in with it, but on both my Vaquero with a concentric coil mounted and my Compadre most of the high tone varieties, (not all but most), will actually disc out near the very top end.
Turn the knob all the way to the right ad they will not be there, just a hair width turn to the left and they come back in.
Dimes, quarters, copper cents and the larger coins will not do this and won't disc out.
Neither will large silver rings, but not all silver rings are large and I have found many way below this even into the zinc area.

As far as all the other kind of pop tops and tabs all I can tell you is I can usually make an educated guess and avoid digging about 80-90% of them which is about the same as when I use my Fisher with screens.

I do this by going past the target with the knob till it fades out and slowly turn back down till it comes in and listen closely.
Targets that are scratchy and break up before the firm up solid are usually trash, targets that just come in solid have a good chance to be good ones you want to dig.
Not 100% either way, but I dug thousands of targets good and bad to realize this and I have been making digging decisions based on this for awhile, now.
I might miss something good now and then but I have confidence I am not missing much at all in my head and still find a ton of great targets doing it this way.

Mine usually sits somewhere around the r in Iron. But I'm interested in gold :)

I'm a sucker for pull tab sounds :no:

Alum caps will be impossible to not pick up, bottle caps, some ring up, some don't, and a guy with the smaller coil said they gave home a double beep, but I haven't figured that out yet.

Went out in the yard and goofed around with the compadre..this thing is very sensitive to my trashy yard..heck it was beeping every few inches! Dug on hard ground all kinds of trashy junk..fishing weights...pennys...chunks of metal...swing set chains...lug nuts...bolts...bb's...man it was Sanford and son...sometimes I think this thing falses too??

Went out in the yard and goofed around with the compadre..this thing is very sensitive to my trashy yard..heck it was beeping every few inches! Dug on hard ground all kinds of trashy junk..fishing weights...pennys...chunks of metal...swing set chains...lug nuts...bolts...bb's...man it was Sanford and son...sometimes I think this thing falses too??

Mine never falses.
The thing is just very sensitive...and you have a trashy yard.
This is why we learn it well.
We learn to use the disc knob to knock out levels of unwanted trash, and learn techniques like swinging the coil over targets, raising the coil while swinging, adjusting the knob while swinging over the target as I explained above and many more things to determine and make educated guesses about possible target types.
Above all listening to how the target sounds a while swinging over it and manipulating that knob will tell you much.
Over time you can learn to make VERY educated guesses.
You just don't know the language yet.

Ok I went back out with the setting between #2-3 via diggers advice..started to really listening to those round smooth tones...ran compadre in a small 10x10 ft grid in my backyard and he went to work pulling 20 cents in clad in 15 min....not bad..and he avoided trash...right on Compadre!

Ok I went back out with the setting between #2-3 via diggers advice..started to really listening to those round smooth tones...ran compadre in a small 10x10 ft grid in my backyard and he went to work pulling 20 cents in clad in 15 min....not bad..and he avoided trash...right on Compadre!

After hundreds of hours swinging my Vaquero, learned the Tesoro language pretty well and still had even more to learn when I started swinging my beloved Compadre.
The sensitivity is beyond belief, I swung an 8" coil model for a few weeks last summer and it seems the same on that one.
It took me months to get really comfortable with the slightly different sounds compared to the Vaq with the same lineage, and I still learn new things every time I go out with it.

The more you swing it the more you will learn that language bit by bit so never be impatient, all will become clear and understandable over time.

My first full hunt with it here...

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=84048

I mention that double beep thing in this long post, I have talked about this before using the Compadre.
As much as it is fantastic at coin hunting, the best jewelry hunter I have ever owned and other worldly when it comes to recognizing chains in the ground, the most important super power this thing possesses is the ability to double beep on targets near, next to or even leaning on big iron like tot lot equipment, bench legs and fence poles.
I believe this, anyway.
Nothing I own using any coils or settings I have tried can do this so effortlessly...if at all.

This is how you do it....

Back
Top Bottom