ID Help: Attention button people

aka Scratch

Found this at the Pass Christian beach near Gulfport, Mississippi.

It was 6 inches deep in the sand. It’s a man made beach and sand is brought in from offsite to maintain it. I was finding beer cans and modern things closer to a foot or more. Nearly out of detector range and certainly below good signal range. So My guess is that this was transplanted from wherever it was originally dropped.

It’s about the size of a penny. Maybe a little larger.

It’s flat. The “A” is about as thick as a dime raised off the main disk and the disk itself is a little thicker in the penny range.

Behind the A on the disk there are lines that resemble a sunlight burst or something.

Research I’ve done suggests it could be a Confederate Artillery button however looking across the Internet, there are hundreds of button variations but I couldn’t find one that looks like this.

I did look at a few “date your button” charts that list common characteristics and that suggested this is older than Civil War timeframe.

Couldn’t find anything older that resembles this either.

Thanks for any help, comments, thoughts or suggestions.

Attachments

• 0E324403-AAC7-45DA-B1EB-82356F0B4A9A.jpg
    0E324403-AAC7-45DA-B1EB-82356F0B4A9A.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 169
You might be on the right track for an artillery button. The thing is, sooooo many people made buttons around the time of the war. I look through records to id some of mine and there could be 100 different examples, and mine will be obscure from those. I'll dig around some more to see what I can find for you.

You might be on the right track for an artillery button. The thing is, sooooo many people made buttons around the time of the war. I look through records to id some of mine and there could be 100 different examples, and mine will be obscure from those. I'll dig around some more to see what I can find for you.

Appreciate that. I am and continue to look as well. It’s pretty unique and where I found it is no help given the circumstances of the man made beach. Lots of history and I don’t think it was transplanted from very far away.

I was looking for modern jewelry or anything just trying to learn to metal detect. On day 1 I got to see how addictive it is to try and ID something. Already stumped lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom