• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

First seated and fake gold

BoTown

Hit a part of a large old park today where most of the silver is long gone. A tot lot was nearby, so I figured there was a decent chance at some jewelry. Swung around some old trees and hit a scratchy 16-17 on the Nox that didn’t sound like a pull tab. Popped out a copper ring with a pretty cool rose design, but when I looked closer, I noticed it said “14k” on it with no indication that it was gold plated.
15fe38fc5f52ea58ebb7bbeeecd5a846.jpg

3a60529a0a143667278fa3606bd3d8a0.jpg

Looks like somebody didn’t get what they paid for.

Also found pieces in that same area of what looks like it would have been a nice old brooch or pin if it was all in one piece.
6920e358a7c8264d3f1921d67266e35a.jpg

Then I swung around and in the sandy area of playground and turned up a few bits and bobs and some clad, not expecting to find anything else old. I hit a solid 29-30 and figured I might have hit another clad quarter that was sounding a bit off or possibly a piece of old pipe, which there was plenty of around the sandbox. Once I got the pinpointer in the hole I realized it was smaller than I thought, and when I dug down, I saw the white flash of silver. It was reverse up, and I thought at first it was a barber, but once I got it in hand I realized I was looking at my first seated dime! 1891-S.
bf33bb3d243ac6ad338d7204962be625.jpg

01f5728943ace0b4c392c597c50ccfc3.jpg

a465b81a998605cbd1118988451ee460.jpg

Gotta love the unexpected!

12a7e647be7e05a6b1612a3fe6f9069d.jpg

Happy hunting!

Last edited:
Great to see you shared some photos of the non-coin finds along with the goods, an actual look at your hunt. A high nickle to clad ratio, matching the clad dime count even. Nickles around here tend to be the least found clad by a big margin.

Congrats on your seated dime! In or near a tot lot is even more impressive.

A die-cast car and hood too, a tot lot hunt for sure. One year I found my first die-cast and almost every hunt after that for the rest of that summer. Perhaps in your case it will happen with the seated dimes. HH

Great to see you shared some photos of the non-coin finds along with the goods, an actual look at your hunt. A high nickle to clad ratio, matching the clad dime count even. Nickles around here tend to be the least found clad by a big margin.

Congrats on your seated dime! In or near a tot lot is even more impressive.

A die-cast car and hood too, a tot lot hunt for sure. One year I found my first die-cast and almost every hunt after that for the rest of that summer. Perhaps in your case it will happen with the seated dimes. HH

Thanks! I was aiming at jewelry for the most part, so that's why I hit so many nickels. When I'm coin shooting, I get a lot fewer nickels than other clad too. I was hoping the car was an oldie, but it's not. It's got a 2008 date on the bottom. Now I'll expect a seated every time I go near a tot lot! :laughing:

Hit a part of a large old park today where most of the silver is long gone. A tot lot was nearby, so I figured there was a decent chance at some jewelry. Swung around some old trees and hit a scratchy 16-17 on the Nox that didn’t sound like a pull tab. Popped out a copper ring with a pretty cool rose design, but when I looked closer, I noticed it said “14k” on it with no indication that it was gold plated.

Last year, I bought a book of Silver Walking Liberty halves for just about spot... during the sale, the guy who sold them had a bunch of other coins and jewelry he'd picked up in a storage unit auction (where he got the coins).

Two of the rings were stamped 14K. Neither was gold. One of them was GREY and literally felt like plastic. He kept trying to tell me it was real gold, because it was stamped, and when I pointed out it was GREY, he told me, "no no, that's white gold, it's different stuff." Then I proceeded to school him on precious metals. By the end, he was asking me about all of his jewelry, and I helped him ID that which was real and that which was not. LOL

Poor folks genuine will believe anything if it has a stamp on it! :laughing::laughing:

Skippy

Last year, I bought a book of Silver Walking Liberty halves for just about spot... during the sale, the guy who sold them had a bunch of other coins and jewelry he'd picked up in a storage unit auction (where he got the coins).

Two of the rings were stamped 14K. Neither was gold. One of them was GREY and literally felt like plastic. He kept trying to tell me it was real gold, because it was stamped, and when I pointed out it was GREY, he told me, "no no, that's white gold, it's different stuff." Then I proceeded to school him on precious metals. By the end, he was asking me about all of his jewelry, and I helped him ID that which was real and that which was not. LOL

Poor folks genuine will believe anything if it has a stamp on it! :laughing::laughing:

Skippy

Haha, that’s a great story. When I pulled the ring out, I was excited because it’s a pretty cool ring. When I saw the 14K stamp though, it took a couple extra minutes to convince myself it wasn’t somehow actually gold! I know where that guy was coming from.

Thanks! I was aiming at jewelry for the most part, so that's why I hit so many nickels. When I'm coin shooting, I get a lot fewer nickels than other clad too. I was hoping the car was an oldie, but it's not. It's got a 2008 date on the bottom. Now I'll expect a seated every time I go near a tot lot! :laughing:

I do that myself and why I dig so many pull tabs. That setting just above iron lets me find more good finds than the others I have detected with that are only looking for coins. Still though those nickles are elusive around here, 6.077% of my coins have been nickles my spreadsheet log says.

2008 is not old in the hobby, but for the kid that was playing with the car they are now 12 years older and likely in high school or college. I find thinking about the era when something was lost, and then now a very interesting aspect of the hobby that occurs.

It seems the older the die-casts I find the more likely they are just pieces for some reason without the stamped bottom around. I do like finding them though I think they are rather unique. Too bad we can't find one of these Hot Wheels mint.

Dare to dream, we all have hope that the next hunt will be great, and who knows your next or several very well could be. :yes:

Nice hunting, Bo! A seated is my goal this year.....or a shield nickel. Both would be the proverbial needle in the haystack in my parts.

Haha, that’s a great story. When I pulled the ring out, I was excited because it’s a pretty cool ring. When I saw the 14K stamp though, it took a couple extra minutes to convince myself it wasn’t somehow actually gold! I know where that guy was coming from.

Oh yeah..> I totally get it. I've had my fair share of stamped goodies, that I just hope that my "wishing" will turn into gold. I'll even go so far as to tell myself, "maybe it's just verdigris" ... yeah. that's what that rust is. LOL

Skippy

Back
Top Bottom