Cache help from a rat

Emwonk

Here's another unusual story from my hunting days.

A few years back they widened the road near me from 2 lanes to a divided 4 lane. The work was many miles long, and cut through many private properties and the old center of a suburban st. Louis town.

After the state bought the houses and the owners were gone I would move in and hunt. One time I found a full mason jar unter a tree with lid up and intact. Of course it was empty, but it had me hopeful.

Before one of the oldest houses was bought I asked the owner if I could hunt there. I was rejected. A few weeks later they were gone and the house was empty and marked for demolition.

I hunted the yard and then moved inside to look for a cache. I started with the dirt floor in the basement and worked my way upstairs, checking door tops, fireplace mantles, under stair risers.

When I got to the attic I found the floor was wooden slats with about 1/4 inch between each slat. So I pried up the boards and stuck my head down there to look along the underfloor, to look for coins or anything else that dropped through. Nothing but nails, etc.

At the top of the stairs was a board that was shorter than all the others. When I pried that one up I found....a rat nest. About 8 or 10 inches across.

But looking closer I saw this ball of various cloth and insulation bits was peppered with old matchbooks, an old metal aspirin canister with the sliding cover, and even a couple of old theater stubs. The aspirin container had several old stamps inside.

So I started poking through The rat nest and pulling out the bits, and began to find metal stuff like old hair clips, Bobbie pins, etc.

At the bottom of the nest, laying on the attic floor was a thick gold wedding band. The inscription inside said the date, initials and 1909.

Some day I may track down the descendants of this rings owners. If I can find them it would be interesting to give back a ring that was stolen decades ago by a treasure hunting rat.

WOW, cool story and a great opportunity to find some treasures. Thanks for sharing. Did you find anything of interest in any of the homes that were slated for demolition?

Not asking you to declare any caches, just what you wish to share.:yes:

I didn't find anything in the homes that were being demolished. Most of them were from the 1950s or later. The people who moved out took everything good. This house with the rat nest was from 1890, one of two homes considered historic by the state archeologist. The other one is still standing.

Some of the yards had a few coins that were recent silver. I also transplanted some irises that were left behind. They still are in my yard 12 years later. But the coin hunting was just average. Nothing spectacular.

Rats

I have heard of pack rats, didn't know a common rat was of that type.
Thanks for sharing the story.
My second wife told me a great story once. She lived in a old house and had looked down between some boards in the second floor when a stove pipe was out and found a gold ruby ring. She too it in and got like $50 or $75 for it. I looked the property over as she had lived there once and her parents were living in a different home owned by the same people. I don't think I found any coins but did find a toy truck and a spoon that was her brother's truck and her older sister's baby spoon in the drive of the place. The truck was like 10 inches long and cast. In trying to push the roof back up on it I cracked the metal. I wasn't going slow enough.
M6 Mike
I have found several old metal toys over the years back of 1993. Would love to find more again. They sure don't make em like they use to.

I just remembered I found a small piece of sterling from a bracelet or something in the dirt floor basement. Outside in the back yard I found an identical link.

Sometimes I wish I could see the circumstance in which the items were lost. What was going on that day back in the 1800s when a large cent hit the ground?

Who were the people who lost the coins and jewelry we find? In the story above, what happened when they realized that wedding band was gone? The guy probably just laid it on the dresser top one night and the next morning it was gone. Or did they blame it on a worker or a kid?

Here's another unusual story from my hunting days.

A few years back they widened the road near me from 2 lanes to a divided 4 lane. The work was many miles long, and cut through many private properties and the old center of a suburban st. Louis town.

After the state bought the houses and the owners were gone I would move in and hunt. One time I found a full mason jar unter a tree with lid up and intact. Of course it was empty, but it had me hopeful.

Before one of the oldest houses was bought I asked the owner if I could hunt there. I was rejected. A few weeks later they were gone and the house was empty and marked for demolition.

I hunted the yard and then moved inside to look for a cache. I started with the dirt floor in the basement and worked my way upstairs, checking door tops, fireplace mantles, under stair risers.

When I got to the attic I found the floor was wooden slats with about 1/4 inch between each slat. So I pried up the boards and stuck my head down there to look along the underfloor, to look for coins or anything else that dropped through. Nothing but nails, etc.

At the top of the stairs was a board that was shorter than all the others. When I pried that one up I found....a rat nest. About 8 or 10 inches across.

But looking closer I saw this ball of various cloth and insulation bits was peppered with old matchbooks, an old metal aspirin canister with the sliding cover, and even a couple of old theater stubs. The aspirin container had several old stamps inside.

So I started poking through The rat nest and pulling out the bits, and began to find metal stuff like old hair clips, Bobbie pins, etc.

At the bottom of the nest, laying on the attic floor was a thick gold wedding band. The inscription inside said the date, initials and 1909.

Some day I may track down the descendants of this rings owners. If I can find them it would be interesting to give back a ring that was stolen decades ago by a treasure hunting rat.

Why not try tracking down the rat and giving the ring back to him? Seems to me the little sucker must have worked pretty hard getting that ring into that nest. :D

Back
Top Bottom