Threshold

Morton'sBattery

My detector doesnt have a threshold knob but I am wondering what this usually controls on a MD and how crucial of a control it is.
Can anyone fill me in a little?
Thanks

Threshold is a constant sound in all metal mode. A person sets the threshold to where you can just barely hear it, then if you run your coil over a objest (coin/jewelry/etc.) the threshold sound will increase. It helps a great deal when searching for small items and gives you more depth. Once you get used to a detector with a threshold based all metal mode it is hard going back to a detector without one. Steve.

Some MDs, the MXT for example, run all-metal and disc at the same time. The technique Ski outlined above lets the user hear those famous "whispers" that may be too weak to give an ID in disc mode.

Actually as far as Whites detectors are concerned the threshold is independent of what mode you are detecting in. A steady threshold is a sign of proper ground balance and ground tracking. When discriminating out targets the threshold will null or go quiet momentarily. Having the threshold present works like the squelch control on a CB radio. It will help sound off faint deep targets by allowing the tone to break through easier. Unstable threshold is a warning sign that adjustments should be made to the detector. If the threshold gets louder it is telling you that your ground balance is off. Hope this helps

Keep Swing'in
Jack

Some MDs, the MXT for example, run all-metal and disc at the same time. The technique Ski outlined above lets the user hear those famous "whispers" that may be too weak to give an ID in disc mode.
Sorry to cut in on your post Morton but if you could Lowjiber explain how a detector (MXT) can run in all metal and disc. at the same time. I am not arguing what you say I just never heard of it. Is it like runnig in all metal mode with notching??? And you are right - lets the user hear those famous "whispers" that may be too weak to give an ID in disc mode. That is what I was trying to say thanks for helping me out with the explanation. Steve.

Ski,

It is referred to as "Mixed Mode" and is a standard feature of the DFX and XLT. The MXT is it's own animal, It runs in a mixed mode of sorts in all three hunting formats it is capable of. It is what makes the MXT the the great Relic machine that it is. On the DFX and XLT you can actually have Tone ID enabled as well. However this gets a bit noisy.

Keep Swing'in
Jack

Ski,

It is referred to as "Mixed Mode" and is a standard feature of the DFX and XLT. The MXT is it's own animal, It runs in a mixed mode of sorts in all three hunting formats it is capable of. It is what makes the MXT the the great Relic machine that it is. On the DFX and XLT you can actually have Tone ID enabled as well. However this gets a bit noisy.

Keep Swing'in
Jack
Thanks Jack. I will have to read up on the mixed mode feature always nice to learn something new about the hobby. Steve.

I use Minelabs and the threshold is a great tool for hearing the whispers

Silent search runs just below the point at which you can hear the detectors threshold setting. Makes the detector seem nice and smooth.
Problem is the target then has to provide more audio to lift the target to the point where you can hear it.
So threshold at minus one would need a target audio of two so you have a chance of hearing it. Run a threshold (say plus one) and you can hear an audio rise of one (or less).

Run a threshold a little on the high side and you make yours ears less sensitive to "whisper" signals.

There are some detectors (were a lot) that have a threshold in discrimination mode

Thanks for the info guys.
Seems mostly used for those deep quiet signals.
Now I know why my detector doesnt have one...it doesnt go deep. :)

Silent search runs just below the point at which you can hear the detectors threshold setting. Makes the detector seem nice and smooth.
Problem is the target then has to provide more audio to lift the target to the point where you can hear it.
So threshold at minus one would need a target audio of two so you have a chance of hearing it. Run a threshold (say plus one) and you can hear an audio rise of one (or less).

Run a threshold a little on the high side and you make yours ears less sensitive to "whisper" signals.

There are some detectors (were a lot) that have a threshold in discrimination mode

Well said, Brian.

Please let me add, if you're listening to a threshold (just the hum is right audible), you'll not only hear those whispers. You also can listen to the disappearing tone, which can be a helpful hint if you're after relics.

Back
Top Bottom