Need help with a Compass Magnum 420

Dubay420

Hello all! I'm new to these forums and after reading for a couple hours i decided to make an account as this seems to be a good community. Anyway i am just getting into the hobby after i have found my dad's old Metal detector a Compass magnum 420 VLF/TR Discriminator. I've been doing some reading and gathered that it was a a pretty good Detector in its Hay day. i have also read about some of the techniques used to get passed missing deeper targets and targets of similar frequencies such as reverse discrimination.However i'm curious as to tuning the Magnum 420 ( if the threshold even can be tuned) where the confusion comes in for me here, is the Knob is Simply labeled ''Tuning'' with Power off being All the way to the left..now is this the Threshold tuning..or the Volume tuning? im not sure how much technology has changed since the release of this detector, but any pointers or Feedback on using these slightly older detectors would be Greatly appreciated. :D

Well Vethrax my problem is that i don't know if the ''tuning'' knob is for Threshold, or for volume. i have read that to correctly adjust the threshold you slowly turn the knob until you can barely hear an Audible tone/fuzzy noise, however i do not know if this knob simply labeled ''tuning'' on my Magnum 420 is actually the Threshold Knob or if its just a volume knob that just happens to be the power switch like a radio..i could be Reading into it too far hoping its a better metal detector than it is? haha :lol: i appreciate the Speedy Feedback and the informational links!

Compass best for it's time

I had almost every type of Compass MD made back then they were by far the best MD made. I do beleive the Magnum was a non motion MD as for the tuning that is the knob keep it just above the ground and tune till you hear a very low tone.

Give it a try and good luck

awesome man! i appreciate it, i wanted to ask mainly because i didn't just want to crank the Tuning knob and possibly Blow out my ears, or have my dogs attack it. :lol: they REALLY hate the tone it puts off.

Back
Top Bottom