Noob Q's

halgreene

Hi,

I've been lurking for a while and also watching YouTube metal detecting videos and I'm about ready to take the plunge and buy a couple of detectors for my fiancé and I to use on some of our many hikes (and just in fields and parks for fun, too). We'll almost completely be hunting fields and hiking trails, very little beach hunting (although if we love it we MAY take them on vacation, but they seem too bulky and fragile to take to, say, the Caribbean).

It looks like it's coming down to a showdown between the following machines:

1. White's MX5 and/or M6
2. Omega 8k
3. Garrett AT Pro

I've also heard good things about Bounty Hunter machines (and they seem to be ubiquitous).

It also looks like we'll need the following accessories:

1. Some kind of digging shovel (doesn't seem to matter which one)
2. Gloves
3. Pouch
4. Headphones (Grey Ghost?)
5. Pinpointer: Garrett Pro or White's TRX?

There seem to lots of decent headphones, but really, I don't think the specs tell you anything. Given that my fiancé and I will be doing a lot of prospecting during the hot summer months, we're not really looking forward to wearing a pair of sweatboxes on our heads all day. Is there such a thing as open-air metal detector headphones? Suggestions?

As far as the detectors go, are there any nuances I should know about? It appears that all the machines work quite well, but do any of them have better/clearer/more reliable discrimination? Some seem to have a meter that actually says "tab/coin/zinc/foil/etc." Are these worthwhile? Do they all make the same kinds of sounds, or are some easier to listen to? Are any sturdier/more comfortable to carry? Do some have a steeper learning curve? Built-in pinpointers? Better/easier ground balancing? Do Garrets need a special adapter to use third-party headphones?

For digging, it seems that it would be much more comfortable (but bulkier to carry) a longer t-handle shovel than a spade so that one is not being forced to kneel at every strike (it also seems that a shovel pulls up a bigger plug with less effort). Are there any differences here? Are some shovels better and/or lighter and and/or an easier carry? Again, I'm assuming we just need one between us.

Thanks for your help!

Hi,

I've been lurking for a while and also watching YouTube metal detecting videos and I'm about ready to take the plunge and buy a couple of detectors for my fiancé and I to use on some of our many hikes (and just in fields and parks for fun, too). We'll almost completely be hunting fields and hiking trails, very little beach hunting (although if we love it we MAY take them on vacation, but they seem too bulky and fragile to take to, say, the Caribbean).

1. White's MX5 and/or M6
2. Omega 8k
3. Garrett AT Pro

In my opinion, a detector purchase is almost fully personal. Tough to tell you which one. :)

I've also heard good things about Bounty Hunter machines (and they seem to be ubiquitous).

Bounty Hunter are good starter machines but any of the three you listed will run circles around them.

I use the Lesche, as do many others, and love it.
http://voices.yahoo.com/metal-detecting-lesche-digging-tool-12085483.html?cat=24
2. Gloves

Yes. Something flexible and well-fitting, like Mechanix gloves work great.

3. Pouch

I use the Bounty Hunter hip pouch and think it works awesome. there are several on the market that are great, though.

http://voices.yahoo.com/metal-detecting-bounty-hunter-treasure-bag-12091508.html?cat=24

I use regular headphones with a loooong cord. I don’t like the over the ears ones at all because I also like to be aware what’s around me when I’m out and about and engrossed in what I’m doing. Saves money and a lot of hassle for me.

Any pinpointer is better than none. I use the Fisher F-Point and couldn’t be happier but the Garrett is a real nice unit.

There seem to lots of decent headphones, but really, I don't think the specs tell you anything. Given that my fiancé and I will be doing a lot of prospecting during the hot summer months, we're not really looking forward to wearing a pair of sweatboxes on our heads all day. Is there such a thing as open-air metal detector headphones? Suggestions?

Any are better than none, trust me.

As far as the detectors go, are there any nuances I should know about? It appears that all the machines work quite well, but do any of them have better/clearer/more reliable discrimination? Some seem to have a meter that actually says "tab/coin/zinc/foil/etc." Are these worthwhile? Do they all make the same kinds of sounds, or are some easier to listen to? Are any sturdier/more comfortable to carry? Do some have a steeper learning curve? Built-in pinpointers? Better/easier ground balancing? Do Garrets need a special adapter to use third-party headphones?

Really, the less you pay, the easier it’ll be to learn. The higher end/more expensive detectors can get nice and complicated. YouTube is your friend; watch any and all videos on the detector of your choice. Twice.

For digging, it seems that it would be much more comfortable (but bulkier to carry) a longer t-handle shovel than a spade so that one is not being forced to kneel at every strike (it also seems that a shovel pulls up a bigger plug with less effort). Are there any differences here? Are some shovels better and/or lighter and and/or an easier carry? Again, I'm assuming we just need one between us.

Depends where you are digging. In a park, I’d stay away from huge digging devices because it angers people. I use the Lesche and nobody seems to mind——yet. if you are out in a remote area or a beach or what have you, you could use a jackhammer. Know what I mean?

Thanks for your help!

Hi,

1. White's MX5 and/or M6
2. Omega 8k
3. Garrett AT Pro

2. Gloves
3. Pouch

Thanks for your help!

Be glad to help you! Give us a ring! I be glad to explain it all.

Back
Top Bottom