commander compass a helpful tool

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
I use a free apple app called Commander Compass on my iPhone. When I researching some areas that looks promising, I use google maps to get a detailed look and then historic aerial to look back in time to see aerial photos or old topo maps to locate old home sites that have been demolished. On historic aerials you can use the "create a new measurement" feature to place a mark on the home site and it will give you the gps co-ordinates in normal form and digital form. Also use the dissolve feature to give you a split screen between modern and old maps. the top slider bar will over lay the two maps and fade one in or out over the other one. helpful to get an idea of the modern location.

You then can speak into your iphone the digital co-ordinates and store those on commander compass. For instance in you find an old home site or feature you wish to hunt in the woods or a large field. Commander compass will take you withing 15 feet of this location. it points the big arrow in the proper direction and you just follow the direction of that arrow and it will count down the distance to the target point in feet. Real simple after you get used to using it. Really cuts down on the time you need to locate old home sites.

I also print out a screen shot of the historic aerial if it is clear enough to show the main building and general locations of driveways and outbuildings.

https://www.historicaerials.com/viewer
HH

Last edited:
Where did you find historic aerials ? I just did a search and could not find it.

I am working on a area that I think there is more to it.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom