Whites Battery Holder

rcasi44

Elite Member
I'm looking for the post that added a 9th rechargeable battery to the Whites 8 battery holder. The 9th battery went across the top. I can't remember in which forum I read it. It had pictures and parts list. Rob

Brian

View Profile Email Personal Message (Offline)
Re: Whites Surfmaster
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 04:07:30 AM » Reply with quote
There's several Surfmaster models. Surfmaster II is VLF with discrimination aimed at the fresh water detectorist. The same control box/stem etc was used for the P.I. models introduced 1992 or 93.
The original model had the advantage of less cross re enforcement so if rechargables were used a ten cell battery holder could be used instead of the standard eight cell.
The next version could only take eight cells.
Bill Crabtree started to do a modified version with increased sensitivity and I suppose because so many were sending in their Surfmasters for upgrade that Whites finally responded and improved the sensitivity of the standard version. This became the PI Pro.
So you could buy an older Surfmaster cheap and have Bill upgrade it to the later spec.

Is this it?

Bri-

Nothing to do with a surf master. All the newer Whites MXT, DFX, etc. use a 8 battery holder. With 8 NIMH's you run 10v which is OK. With the mod you run 11+v with rechargeables. I could do it but the post gave the parts numbers which saves fooling around finding a holder that will fit. Rob

Ok I found the post. It was written by Vito. Use the link below. The extra battery should get just about 12v with the NIMH's. My MXT reads 11v to start and then reads 10v shortly. I ran my detector about 3 hrs today and each NIMH battery still reads 1.34 volts. The MXT meter reads 10v but the actual voltage for the pack was 10.6V.

Some guys think that higher voltage means more depth, it doesn't but the pack will last longer. But if they still want to believe it they can have the full 12v and still use  rechargeables. I wouldn't use 9 alkalines as this might be too much for the voltage regulator. Stay at 12v or less. My plan was to have the one for my NIMH's and one(8 alkaline batteries) for a backup if I ever need it. Rob

http://forum.treasurenet.com/whites/index.php/topic,1269.msg8433.html#msg8433

I, in the Discovery Treasure Baron, use ten AAA's rechargables instead of the eight AA's the manufacturer suggests. 8 Alkalines at 1.5 = 12 volts. Ten AAA rechargables at 1.2 volts = 12 volts.
So no problem or danger and it helps cut the weight down. The Baron is one heavy machine especially if a deep hunter module is added which needs a further set of batteries to power it.

Brian, I've checked the rechargeables (NIMH)and they measure higher then 1.2v. I'm not using the meter on the detector, I'm using an accurate meter. As I've said after 3 hrs they still read 1.34v. 10 of these would be 13.4v. When I first put them in it would be closer to 14v. In any case only 9 will fit in my holder. Just make sure the voltage regulator on your detector can handle the increased voltage.

I haven't looked to see how many mah 12 AAA's would have compared to the 8 AA's.
Rob

Ok Brian, I checked and you can get AA's up to 2700 mah, and AAA's up to 1000 mah. It is the mah rating that determines how long they last. It would seem the AA's would have twice the mah and last longer. Again if they last long enough for you and are lighter that's all that matters . Good luck, Rob

Regulator allows up to 14.6 so no worries and no harm in the last couple of years.
Whites designed the Surfmaster P.I. to take ten rechargables...its only that the supplier of the waterproof casing changed the design that led to the later models being restricted to eight cells.
Re AA's I have 'industrial' grade, whatever that means, that are rated 2700 but after a few recharges they go to 3100 mah. The AAA's we get are never charge much above 1.3 volt (700 mah)
I use a rather nice charger that seems to be able to bring batteries back from the dead. Charges any size/type individually so you can mix NiMi's and NiCads and has the option of a deep charge setting that does achieve the maximum out of a cell. Most of the chargers readily available don't seem to have kept up with the battery advances so most people never get the full benefit out of the more powerful cells.

Back
Top Bottom