XLT Display

1grnknee

Hello,

My XLT Display has become increasingly hard to view with numerous horzonal pixilated lines across display.  Backlight and View Angle has been adjusted to no avail.

Anyone have similar issue and resolution? 

Yes.
Two answers...a new display and they are expensive or
open up the control box as a first repair attempt. Remove the ribbon connector and clean the contacts both ribbon and on the circuit board. Your local Tandy/Radio Shack or whatever you have will have a spray cleaner. Clean and re-assemble.
See if it now works properly. If so re-assemble the control box. If not a slight tap on the connector block with a small piece of wood may solve the fault.
Still no good then go to the display end and repeat the cleaning operation. With luck you should be up and running again.

I agree with Brian that contact cleaner might just rid you of your problem. But be advised! Some electro contact cleaners can, and will attack plastic and melt it. Make sure the one you get is plastic friendly. Another thing you can try is take the ribbon cable off and GENTLY rub a rubber pencil eraser across the contact points. This is very effective in cleaning corrosion off plated contacts without damaging them.

Brian,

I have a friend who is a White's dealer. He has told me that there are a three weak spots in the design of this detector that result in common failure modes.

One is the LCD display electronics, the second is the pinpoint trigger switch and the third is the voltage regulator chip. The XLT is a very reliable system, but when it fails, it is usually one of these three things.

If your XLT is still under warranty, let White's fix it. If not under warranty, I would call the White's service number and ask them for an estimate to repair the display. It should be a reasonable amount, plus White's will give it a thorough check and tuning (if necessary).

Two main faults are the trigger switch but only through wear and the LCD backlight. Plus you need to re boot on occasion and if the batteries are allowed to drop into position then the contact springs bend and either break contact or start to arc slightly.
There's no cheap repair on the display unit. If a detector is under warranty then you would let the manufacturer deal with it. If not it can mean big bills especially when you return a machine for one job like a meter or backlight fault and they decide a replacement coil is needed which has become a common suggestion in the last few years.
Manufacturers are not our friends (have a look at the Fisher repair bills posts re the CZ20 in the last few weeks) and I say that even though Whites have repaired my machines for free though well out of warranty.

Back
Top Bottom