Bucket Lister: After thousands of clad quarters, I finally found a silver one!

Skippy SH13

Forum Supporter
I was totally floored today... While detecting a city park softball field, I hit a slightly higher than normal quarter signal (rang up at 89 instead of 87, but it was a wet field from some recent snow). I just chalked it up to possibly being a stack of quarters, and imagine my surprise when I found a beautiful white colored coin. I instantly grabbed my camera and started taking pictures, because I'd NEVER seen a quarter come out of the ground that white (they're usually solid brown at that depth). Hoping it was a silver coin...

And it was! My first silver quarter. 3 years into detecting, THOUSANDS of quarters later... I finally find one. Nice. :) I can see why they are so dang fun to find! They're just stunning in the ground.

The rest of the hunt was pretty standard, a bit of clad, a foreign coin (50 cent from Australia) and some tokens and a lawnmower nicked Susan B.

Thanks everyone for the peek! It's nothing special, just a 1964, but it was a fun one.

Cheers,

Skippy

Attachments

• IMG_3961.jpg
    IMG_3961.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_3962.jpg
    IMG_3962.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG_3963.jpg
    IMG_3963.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG_3958.jpg
    IMG_3958.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 350
  • IMG_3964.jpg
    IMG_3964.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 352
  • GW Q.jpg
    GW Q.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 341
  • GW Q 2.jpg
    GW Q 2.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 308
Isn't it crazy how elusive these dumb GW's can be? Congrats on yours. Still looking for mine. :mad:

I'd actually chalked up the fact I probably would never find one. I've found over $2000 in clad, but I've only ever found 4 silver coins. A 1964 dime, a 20 peso sterling centered Mexican silver from 1993, a Walking Liberty Half Dollar that was a surface find (albeit covered with grass) at an elementary school (clearly someone lost show-n-tell), and now this one.

At the depth it was sitting, this may actually be a legitimate "it's been there since it was lost" item. Possibly coming in with fill dirt.

While not worth much, it was fun to find. After 3 years of Mding, though, I don't think I had the excitement level I would have if I'd found it in year one. LOL

Skippy

OK, well good for you! Lets not get carried away here though...You dont want to fall under its spell and become just another Silver bug at your young age...!:laughing: What a wasted Life that would be! For a guy with your clad/gold jewelry finding talent? Tragic!:laughing:

But yeah..it is a strange feeling when a claddie trips across a silver every once in a while..I doubt the Silverbugs think good thoughts when they pull a clad Q at depth!!

NICE SCORE ! Ain't that a great feeling to see shiny staring back at you. Next up- a shiny half. Good luck and HH Mark

Big CONGRATS! Four years in and I'm still looking for a silver GW. Closest I've got was a 1956 Canadian quarter. I'm sure that first silver GW feels great. Enjoy.

Congrats on your first silver Q! Three years is a long wait - I'm only a year into the hobby and still looking for big silver. I've come close with several '65 and '66 quarters - I should probably just stop looking at the dates when they come out all brownish-black and save myself the anguish of missing by a year! :lol:

Missing By A Year

Congrats on your first silver Q! Three years is a long wait - I'm only a year into the hobby and still looking for big silver. I've come close with several '65 and '66 quarters - I should probably just stop looking at the dates when they come out all brownish-black and save myself the anguish of missing by a year! :lol:

Missing by a year. A 1965 is missing by a lot more than a year. It's missing by 52 years. I was 20 years old in 1965, when they took the silver out of our coinage, and I was working in a parking lot. I dealt with coins all day long, and when the new 1965 coins came out, it took only about one week for all the silver coins to disappear. People started hording them and all of a sudden, all the silver coins were gone, and that was in 1965, 52 years ago. So if you want to find silver coins now, you have to start hunting in places that were around over 52 years ago.
HH everyone

Missing by a year. A 1965 is missing by a lot more than a year. It's missing by 52 years. I was 20 years old in 1965, when they took the silver out of our coinage, and I was working in a parking lot. I dealt with coins all day long, and when the new 1965 coins came out, it took only about one week for all the silver coins to disappear. People started hording them and all of a sudden, all the silver coins were gone, and that was in 1965, 52 years ago. So if you want to find silver coins now, you have to start hunting in places that were around over 52 years ago.
HH everyone

Great story and good point!

Nice going on your 1st silver quarter! Silver dimes are relatively easy to find, but silver quarters don't show their heads too often. Apparently you're not detecting in the right location to find lots of silver coins. On the other hand, you're detecting in the right location for jewelry and clad coins.

beephead

Back
Top Bottom