• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Prayers Poll

Poll: Should prayers wished to others be allowed on the forum?

• Yes, I think we should be able to.

Votes: 134 81.2%
  • No, I'm totally against it.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • It doesn't matter to me.

Votes: 29 17.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Carol K

Co-owner
Admin
Poll: Should prayers wished to others be allowed on the forum?

After the recent breakout of tornadoes, there were several threads started to wish safety, well wishes, and prayers sent to the ones affected.

Since the members here generally set the tone of the forum, I'd like to address this since we do have a rule about religious discussions.

In my opinion, telling someone that you send your prayers to them, whether an illness in the family, or emergency, or a disaster, is not a religious discussion as we meant in the rules.

Please vote so we can get this matter resolved.

Thanks, Carol K

We all could use a prayer or a blessing at some time or another in our lives. :D

wishing prayers is fine

quoting bible verses/typing out prayers, etc is not ok

I agree as well. Some people such as myself just like knowing someone else is thinking positive for/with them. However I do not feel like people should quote religious material or try to actually push a religion on anyone.

Prayers and best wishes are a positive thing, whether you believe or practice. I want to type a more, but think it would violate forum rules...

Exactly. Asking for, wishing for, prayers or best wishes as they really are, is not a religious discussion, and doesn't bother me in the least. We've periodically had prayer wish threads d/t to extreme weather events worldwide, or even because of personal issues. A prayer is non-denominational... even us atheists could probably use one from time to time :waytogo:

On another metal detecting forum I'm on they have separate area for prayer for our friends who enjoy our hobby. I see no reason why we could not have a forum for others to ask for or wish some Divine intervention on our Brethren of our little community here. Just some food for thought Carol.

On another metal detecting forum I'm on they have separate area for prayer for our friends who enjoy our hobby. I see no reason why we could not have a forum for others to ask for or wish some Divine intervention on our Brethren of our little community here. Just some food for thought Carol.

We do too, it's called "Everything Else" :yes:

I am in favor of it 100%.
Prayers and best wishes do not have to be affiliated with any type of religion. I have asked for prayers recently on this forum on behalf of my wife, and am so grateful to all those who responded. I hope we can continue to be allowed to do this Carol.:my2cents:

I think it is really cool that you are asking us for input. I have always appreciated the fact that you care what the rest of us think about issues involving the forum. I vote yes. I see nothing at all wrong with prayers and wishes. And, I agree with most that this is not a place to witness on behalf of any particular faith.

Sonny b.

We do too, it's called "Everything Else" :yes:

I was just saying the other forum has a separate area for prayer and scripture for those who need it and not be judged because of it, and they also have another area for political discussion for those who enjoy a debate. Our everything else forum does state no political or religion discussion which some could view prayer as religious. I was just suggesting another idea for an addtion for the forum. :yes:

Yes of course because it helps people in need.
As has been stated, using text or key words to identify a particular religion does more harm than good.

I was just saying the other forum has a separate area for prayer and scripture for those who need it and not be judged because of it, and they also have another area for political discussion for those who enjoy a debate. Our everything else forum does state no political or religion discussion which some could view prayer as religious. I was just suggesting another idea for an addtion for the forum. :yes:

This is a metal detecting forum, not a religious one.
I have no problem with sending prayers to someone out of concern, as stated above, I have done it myself and that seems fine, but I believe it crosses the line when you get into quoting verses, discussions, or any of that sort of thing.

There are plenty of other sites and areas on the web for that, and even though I could just avoid that particular sub-forum it would still somehow make me feel uncomfortable.

I come here for the camaraderie and fellowship of metal detecting, maybe some info on other subjects from time to time for myself and anything I can pass on from my life experience if somebody asks...almost anything and everything...but not religion, or politics, either.
These are two subjects that are usually sure to start fights and end up with hard feelings for somebody.
These subjects are just too passionate for some not to.

If this more than just sending prayers thing should ever come to pass, I am afraid I would be out of here.

I agree with digger, knowing that some people were spending time here prosthelytizing would make me uncomfortable.
As if my participation on the board is endorsing whichever religion dominates that forum.

Just knowing that the prayers of others are with those in need is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom