Wanting to upgrade detectors

holedigger

Forum Supporter
Hello I have had my current detector a 10 year old whites dfx. I would like to get a minelab am trying to decide between the equinox 800 and the etrac. I like the idea of a lighter detector the 800 but I hear the etrac is a coin slayer a little heavier and more expensive. I have also been looking at the Xp deus. I have nowhere locally to check the out. Just wanting to what people who have ran these machines think. I mostly coin shoot and like in the Midwest. Thanks.

Etrac: heavier, better TID, killer on deep silver, superior coin shooting machine IMHO.
Nox: Lightweight, faster recovery, waterproof, better choice if you hunt a mixture of coins, jewelry and relics IMHO.

For a 'do it all' detector I'd pick the Nox. For strictly coin shooting I'd probably go with the Etrac if you can handle the weight. Deus is a great relic hunting detector and shares some of the same strengths and weaknesses as the Nox. Again, just my opinion. I've owned all of the above.

In the iron the Nox flat out kicks the !!!! out of the old E Trac.

I can't even figure out how Minelab can charge what they do for the E Trac and actually sell any.

Etrac: heavier, better TID, killer on deep silver, superior coin shooting machine IMHO.
Nox: Lightweight, faster recovery, waterproof, better choice if you hunt a mixture of coins, jewelry and relics IMHO.

For a 'do it all' detector I'd pick the Nox. For strictly coin shooting I'd probably go with the Etrac if you can handle the weight. Deus is a great relic hunting detector and shares some of the same strengths and weaknesses as the Nox. Again, just my opinion. I've owned all of the above.

This^^^^^

... Just wanting to what people who have ran these machines think. I mostly coin shoot and like in the Midwest. Thanks.

Yes, the NOX is waterproof and it has a faster processor. It is also lighter. But the Etrac is still an upgrade from your DFX. Nice thing about the etrac is there are plenty of aftermarket coils available. Also, it can use a rechargeable or alkaline battery pack, whereas the NOX requires a charge or battery tender.

If looking at used machines, sure, I'd buy one in good condition that is listed for $400'ish with an extra coil. Any more costly and you are getting in the range of a used NOX.

Both models will have a learning curve. Unless you are a MD guru, you're going to need some serious hours to really understand what both machines are telling you...perhaps moreso if hunting in heavy trash areas.

I'm loving the Nox more and more every time I hunt with it! The battery died on my Nox last time I hunted so I switched to my Etrac to finish the hunt. The target ID is WAY better on the Etrac but it's slow as molasses compared to the Nox when it comes to picking out targets amongst the trash. Don't get me wrong, the Etrac with the 8x6 SEF and the right settings will find the same targets as the Nox will in the trash...you just have to slow your sweep WAY down. Get a Nox 800...you won't regret it.

Back
Top Bottom