Viking Treasure Found!!!

Don't know what kind of metal detector they used, but the article did say it was over a foot deep.

Not sure this is a bad thing that it all ends up in a museum after it stays in the country it was found and allows others to see it. Must be damn hard to keep your mouth shut though if you was skint! Watch this link and this guys says he aint reporting them but sticking them on ebay http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-cHOkcnOTE&NR=1

If the Musuems paid out more realistic " rewards " and faster, people would not resort to selling them. That hoard mentioned earlier was found way back in february, and they probably wont see a penny for it till next year or longer ( if there very lucky!! ) Dont get me wrong, its the normal thing to do ( report hoards )and there are guidelines as to age and quantity.
That hoard is worth much more...

While I believe that finds of this nature, so rich in history, belong in a museum for all to enjoy, I also believe that the finders should be fairly compensated. Without them the treasure would still be in the ground for no one to enjoy. Also, by not fairly compensating the finder, the government aids in encouraging those finds to be sold to private collectors who have no motivation to share the finds with the world (IMHO, simply their own egos to bolster). I feel the historic returns alone justify fair (a subjective word I know) compensation and would hope that the governments of the world could recognize this. I realize this is probably just a pipe dream, but one can hope, can't he?

Question I have is, does this belong to the father and son who found it? or the person who owned the farm? Did they have permission from the owners to dig in the farm?

The principle is right as to keep it in the country but as Chops has pointed out somewhat unfair for the finder. Something i have no experience of and if i was lucky enough to find something of historical importance then i would have to declare it by law. Maybe finding ring pulls aint so bad after all!

Back
Top Bottom