Lunch time Treasures! **UPDATE!**

ollievon

Elite Member
Decided to head out at lunch and hit an old house I have permission from the owners, the house is probably 1880's and I had never hit it before, so I figured with all the old oak trees in the side yard why not go at lunch for an hour! Within 10 minutes I started digging Wheaties and then a solid sharp 3-26 from all directions on the SE Explorer Pro at about 5" deep - it turned out to be a 1942 Merc, sweet!

I went about 5 feet away from that and BAM! hit another 3-26 and it's a Merc 1935-S, for the next 20 minutes I think I dug another 6-7 Wheaties but no clad and no junk...just silence...I decided to head back to my truck and swing and then BAM! 00-28 on the Explorer SE...a silver quarter most likely I thought, but it was more than 6" down...I was careful digging and then to my surprise it's a 1943 Walking Half! No way!!!????

Needless to say I think I have my summer lunchtime honey hole for the immediate future, will update any new finds I get in the coming days, weeks...months, etc.

Attachments

• MERC_2.JPG
    MERC_2.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 287
  • WALKER_HALF.jpg
    WALKER_HALF.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 293
Last edited:
Great finds!! I wish I could find stuff like that at lunch.... but unless my daughter or her husband are off work for the day, the wife and I are stuck here watching the little ones.

Dang, those are awesome and I'm a bit jealous. Best thing I can find at lunch are a pile of fire ants, lol.

What ? A post from New York east coast THAT DIDN'T have a colonial, a LC, a bust, or a reale ? haha, you can't argue with silver !

@Tom in CA: I know, I know...but I'm working on finding those after clear out all that annoying silver (LOL!); I'll post pictures soon on my update from going back last night after work - I nailed an 1895 V, 2 1908 IH, 1935-D Quarter, and some unique buttons - all this over the course of two days and about 2.5 hours swinging...which ain't nothin', so I'll be working this until I get those deep coppers for you ha-ha!

Great finds!! I wish I could find stuff like that at lunch.... but unless my daughter or her husband are off work for the day, the wife and I are stuck here watching the little ones.

Sounds like you need to find a nice shady park, bring the kiddos and have them dig what beeps! I've convinced my 10-year old that MD'ing is a lot like Pokémon Go...you walk around randomly hoping to get a really good target, pray for it to be a rare or special one, but usually it's ones you already have (Zincoln's), and then fight like heck to get it out of the ground into your collection...so far he's quasi hooked, but likes his game better...but we're getting there.

WOW! That place is going to be a silver mine for you!

Yeah, it's one of those truly rare virgin sites that has not been hit, lucky me for sure. Finding them today is hard, but you need to patient since clearly there is proof old silver is still plentiful if you get the right permissions.

You're in South Central Georgia? Have you detected down in a small town called Alma? My grandmother was from there (she's long passed) but I recall my great-uncle taking me down in his truck to go fishing in the woods and there were tons of cellar holes...I'm sure that place has to have some un-hit spots.

Yeah, it's one of those truly rare virgin sites that has not been hit, lucky me for sure. Finding them today is hard, but you need to patient since clearly there is proof old silver is still plentiful if you get the right permissions.

You're in South Central Georgia? Have you detected down in a small town called Alma? My grandmother was from there (she's long passed) but I recall my great-uncle taking me down in his truck to go fishing in the woods and there were tons of cellar holes...I'm sure that place has to have some un-hit spots.

Yes sir! I am fairly new to the area, so I've spent most of my time researching the history and hitting the (most likely) pounded spots and occasional permission. I appreciate the lead...I will definitely look into Alma!

Just wanted to give you all an updated about the house I've been visiting during my lunch break and some help I need identifying a military button.

Here is the 1935-D quarter I found at 2" deep...yes, only 2", crazy. The one unique button is ED HITCHCOCK'S HOSE CO. and the only information I can find is for a HITCHCOCK HOSE CO. in Cortland, NY, but I'm not sure if it's the same one...it's got to be at least 1880's and still has the shank on the back.

The military button is a curious one, I'm not sure the era due to the back, it's not a shank...anyone help ID history-wise?

Attachments

• IMG_3086.JPG
    IMG_3086.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_3087.JPG
    IMG_3087.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_3088.JPG
    IMG_3088.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_3089.JPG
    IMG_3089.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_3090.JPG
    IMG_3090.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_3091.JPG
    IMG_3091.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 138
Big congrats on the site and the great digs! I'm not a button expert, but the military one looks to me like a staff officers button. Post it on the Civil War section and someone will be able to ID it. Strange back to it, though

Back
Top Bottom