Vinegar cleaning question

Aquanoggin

I have kept saltwater reef aquariums for the past decade and know that vinegar will wipe out calcium build up fast. Anyway, I dumped a few smoked wheats and a few old shot shells in a boiling bath of half and half water/vinegar and the copper came to life almost instantly. Is this a bad method for copper, will it oxidize corrode when I remove it from the solution? Thanks!

I have rinsed them thoroughly and have them soaking in DI water now. Any info would be great! As said, they were smoked anyway, but man the color came out.

Does ok job on copper junk.
I quit using any in my coin tumbler because it tended to cause leaks due to pressure build up.
Will also discolor any coins that are other than copper.

I have been tumbling a bunch of clad lately, and they come out looking good till they hit the air then they turn to rainbow colors. I put them back in the tumbler with fresh water and a little soap and they come out looking good. At least they are clean so the bank don't have a hissy fit.:p:lol: This is the first time I have tumbled my coins so I'm still learning.;)

I have used vineger but never boiled sounds like it works faster, have got to try it . Wouldn't take a chance on any thing good
HH

Anything other then soap water olive oil and electrolysis will damage a coin. And yes is done wrong or to long electrolysis will ruin it as well.

Vinegar will discolor brass or copper but you can control that to some extent by watering down the vinegar and only doing quick exposure. After that make sure you use something like baking soda ( a base ) to neutralize the acid right away or traces of the acid can still be working away on the metal. Just takes experimentation to get it right.

As others have mentioned once cleaned with vinegar you should immediately neutralize with baking soda/water mix to prevent further rusting, etc. This is how I have always cleaned iron, although have never tried with coins but should produce the same results.

Back
Top Bottom