Garrett Pro Pointer Sensitivity

Tarot

I recently purchased a Garrett Pro Pointer and have found that the sensitivity of the scraping blade is not uniform along its length.

If I move a small metallic item along the length of the blade from top to bottom, I find there is a small area about 1" from the tip where the sensitivity is less.

Could someone test their pro pointer and tell me if this is normal, or a problem with my unit.

Regards Tarot (Bob)

I tried it and mine is less sensitive on the tip. Don't know if that helps. :confused:

The tip should be the most sensitive part.I'd be right back to shop for a refund.
(what legth of guarantee is given with these?)
These gizmos aint cheap and well over priced for what they really are.

Every so often a new "super probe" hits the market, theres no rocket science involved in making these,so why the silly prices? People will say its development costs..but its all been done before!! So development costs is a feeble excuse.
As a lot of these probes are made my detector manufacturers (Garrett,Whites etc) you would think they could make something as simple as a probe and "get it right" first time,and sell them at a fair price.But that would not be very good
for buisness.

So take it back,and say that its not up to the job.

I have had four probes. TinyTech Deluxe, HF, VibraQuatic and now the Garrett. I can say I agreed with you up until I actually owned the Garrett. It has very well thought out features, and just feels like quality. To me its the difference between a cheap wrench and something from someone like Snapon. Yes they can do the same job, but one makes you get better at what you do, one just gets the job done.

As to the original post, if I read it correctly its sensitivity near the tip when side scanning. If that is the case I think that is a good thing. I think as long as you get full sens when you are using the tip you want the pointer tip to point, not detect a big bulb around the end.

It has very well thought out features, and just feels like quality. To me its the difference between a cheap wrench and something from someone like Snapon.

Dont Snap-On have a liftime warranty?
I cant see the folks at Garrett replacing probes if they become faulty after the 2 year "limited" parts/labour warranty expires. (only 2 years limited!!!)
Lots of folk are having problems with them already in the the US and over here in England.

I get a free new pinpointer almost everytime I buy a detector from Kellyco. I have two Automax V4's left now, I tossed one this past summer. I should be good for another season or two.

Dusty

The tip should be the most sensitive part.I'd be right back to shop for a refund.
(what legth of guarantee is given with these?)
These gizmos aint cheap and well over priced for what they really are.

Every so often a new "super probe" hits the market, theres no rocket science involved in making these,so why the silly prices? People will say its development costs..but its all been done before!! So development costs is a feeble excuse.
As a lot of these probes are made my detector manufacturers (Garrett,Whites etc) you would think they could make something as simple as a probe and "get it right" first time,and sell them at a fair price.But that would not be very good
for buisness.

So take it back,and say that its not up to the job.

I tested it with some type of O ring from a necklace that was very small. It picked it up on the sides but not to well on the tip. Tried a little bit bigger metal object and it worked fine. Just wasn't sure how small of a metal object Tarot was talking about, So I went with the smallest. :lol: I think the Pro-Pointer has a two year warranty. I've had it for almost two years now and its still working fine but not like when it was brand new.

Hi Everyone

The thread seems to have gone a little off track. I only noticed the reduced sensitivity while I was testing the pro pointer at home.

I was using a hair grip (I think you call them bobby pins), and kept it about 0.5" away from the blade. If you hold any size item just close enough to get a signal, then keeping the same distance, move it down the length of the blade.

I notice a much less responsive area about 1" from the tip of the pin pointer. This is just in one small area, and the rest of the blade is OK.

I have checked further, and this occurs at the same position on any side of the PP, not just the scraping bade.

I have posted the same question on another forum, and one of the members confirmed that hid PP acts the same. So I am more confident that it is a feature by design and not an isolated fault.

Try it, and you will see what I am referring to.

Regards Tarot (Bob)

Hi Everyone

The thread seems to have gone a little off track. I only noticed the reduced sensitivity while I was testing the pro pointer at home.

I was using a hair grip (I think you call them bobby pins), and kept it about 0.5" away from the blade. If you hold any size item just close enough to get a signal, then keeping the same distance, move it down the length of the blade.

I notice a much less responsive area about 1" from the tip of the pin pointer. This is just in one small area, and the rest of the blade is OK.

I have checked further, and this occurs at the same position on any side of the PP, not just the scraping bade.

I have posted the same question on another forum, and one of the members confirmed that hid PP acts the same. So I am more confident that it is a feature by design and not an isolated fault.

Try it, and you will see what I am referring to.

Regards Tarot (Bob)

I see what your talking about. I tried it and got the same exact results. :yes:

I believe my Garrett Propointer is the same way. The propointer is awesome! I have had a problem with one before and it malfunctioned. Garrett replaced it with a brand new one, no questions asked, eight months after I bought it.

I just got a propointer AT and so far my old PP is louder, maybe a defect but it is supposed to have 6 settings that you can change. 3 silent and 3 audio. It's supposed to beep 1,2,3 times for audio and it beeps 1,1,1. It has to be an inch from the target and my old one has a 3" range. I sent a msg to my ebay seller for a replacement. I may have got a bad one and its only a day old.

I just got a propointer AT and so far my old PP is louder, maybe a defect but it is supposed to have 6 settings that you can change. 3 silent and 3 audio. It's supposed to beep 1,2,3 times for audio and it beeps 1,1,1. It has to be an inch from the target and my old one has a 3" range. I sent a msg to my ebay seller for a replacement. I may have got a bad one and its only a day old.

E bay sells a lot of fakes, are you sure you got an authentic Carrot?

Metal detecting equipment suffers from a rather limited customer base compared to other items. R&D is expensive. If the cost of research and development along with the cost of equipment to manufacture can be spread across millions of items then the cost of each item an be lower. Since the cost associated with pin pointers for example may only be spread across a few hundred thousand of items then the cost of each item is going to be higher.

Back
Top Bottom