Competition Hunting?

wishooter

Elite Member
Has Anybody Tried this or Who Does this?
I was Told they Bury Some Nice Coins.
What's the Average Entry Fee?
What Type of Detector do they Use?
What are the Odds of Finding Something?

Competition Hunting

I have. I went in Nov. to the FMDAC Convention & Treasure Hunts in Myrtle Beach, SC. It was held on the beach right where our hotel was. The beach was seeded with mostly mercury dimes. You keep whatever you find. It's a timed competition...a half hour long. We had 3 of those, then the final and fourth hunt was not only dimes, but also tokens that were numbered. You turned in your token when it was time to award prizes. Those with tokens won the prizes.

Certain machines are not good for competition. My Prizm III is a great machine, and finds a lot of wonderful things. However, I did not know that it was lousy for quick recovery. It pinpoints excellently, just too slow for competition that is timed. Some other machines are lots faster. Some folks who have done this many times, came out with, say, 90+ coins at a hunt, while I came away with 18 or 30.

There was a banquet, seminars, displays, and great camaraderie.

It was a bit expensive. There was air fare from Indiana, hotel room, meals, and the entry fees for each treasure hunt. Also the banquet was $40.00. Entry fees were about 35 each, or something like that. I may be a tad bit low. But it was very interesting and fun.

Hope this helps.

Trudy

Scrltt641 You Just did it the one time?
How does Somebody get 90+ in thirty minutes...

Find/Dig/Retrive a Coin Every Two Minutes?
Sand could be Fast, Deep Turf Targets... that's going to take some Time.

What Kind of Detectors were they using?

Competition Hunts can be fun, but if there are too many people that show up or the hunt area is too small, it can be discouraging. Beach Hunts are fun, and some people have a special screen that they carry on their belt that sifts as they keep walking and scooping.

If there are alot of people, the Tesoro is the best detector to have because it runs on a different frequency then other detectors, so you don't get as much interference.

Usually tokens are buried, and sometimes keys that unlock a treasure chest.

Entry fees usually depend on how popular the event is and what the main prize is. If you haven't ever experienced a hunt you must go. Just meeting and talking treasure stories with other detectorists is worth it, no matter what the cost.

Back
Top Bottom