• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

What I would like to see changed in the 31" sampson shovel

I use the 18" Sampson and it doesn't interfere with walking and doesn't bang your leg. I made a simple hanger for it and carry it with the handle down but it will work either way. I have talked with park workers and they have never said anything about it. I can carry my 31" the same way.

View attachment 423675
View attachment 423676

OMG that scares me to think of carrying like that. I'm the guy who would fall and impale myself with the blade. :lol:

I have been carrying a Sampson for many years. The ONLY thing I've ever had said to me about digging is "wow, I've been watching you and I cant even tell where you have dug"

I think the July newsletter message from the FMDAC bears reposting in this thread

Hello All.
I hope everyone is getting out swinging their detectors more them I have. Half way through the year already and I can count on one hand with some fingers left over the number of times I have been out detecting. Too many projects going on.
One of those projects is the upcoming Treasure Week at Fox Den Acres Campground in New Stanton, PA. This is where we will hold our inaugural target recovery course. We have seen a lot of interest. Once we have completed the initial course we will evaluate it and make any necessary changes. We already have 2 requests for the program. When set we will announce those. In addition we hope to get some videos on YouTube covering the material in the course.
This course is for recovering targets in lawn areas such as parks and schools. One tool you will not find in this course is a shovel. It is the wrong tool for a park. I cannot figure out where the mentality came from that it is ok to use one in a park. It has become rampant in videos with people defending their use. THERE IS NO DEFENSE. I don’t care if you claim to do a
good job. I have yet to see a good job done on the internet. Bottom line is it looks really bad in appearance.
We will be discussing making an addition to our code of ethics to add that shovels are not to be used in any public lawn area. When most codes were created many years ago it was not put in. Why? It was not even remotely on the radar. No one would think of doing such a thing. It was so far out of the realm of reality that it was not thought of. Well times they are a
changing. We ask that FMDAC clubs, and any club, add it to their code of ethics. Make it known to club members that shovels in parks is not acceptable.
The FMDAC has spent over 30 years working to protect the hobby. I myself have about 20 years of doing so. Now we see that the biggest threat may be coming from within. If this cancer is not stopped it will severely hurt the hobby. Some of the videos online are so bad that I cannot even remotely call them target recovery. They have even surpassed property damage
and went right to vandalism. Newcomers are watching this and think it is proper. I saw a comment recently on facebook that said “How do you dig without a shovel?” I did not make that up.
There is at least one person who has posted a video teaching people to use a shovel in a park. Attempting to claim that it is different then a shovel. It’s not a garden spade he says. Just because the tool did not come from a hardware store does not mean that it is not a shovel. I don’t care if it is a “specialized” tool made for the metal detecting hobby. If it looks like a shovel then it IS a shovel.
If you care about this hobby then start acting to protect it. Do not praise those shovel videos. I don’t care what they dig. Tell them to use a proper tool and learn how to properly recover a target. If enough people do it and stop watching them maybe they will get the message. If I sound a little gruff, well I am. I am tired and fed up with people within this hobby who just
don’t get it. Who are insistent on making up their own code that is far out of line with the long time accepted practices of the hobby. Having to fight forces from the outside is hard enough without having to fight people in the very hobby we are working to protect. I can tell you this just speaking for myself. I have NOT spent a lot of my own time and money protecting this hobby so that someone can dig in a park with a shovel.
Lets us all work together to put a stop to these actions. The hobby you save will be your own.
Mark Schuessler, FMDAC President's Message

Hello All.
...blah blah blah too much typing....

Ha! No defense for using a sampson in a park! You crack me up. A sampson isnt a shovel. Its a hand digger with a long handle.

I dont really care if you like their use or not, they do an excellent job. The only thing that matters is what the ground looks like when we walk away.

Ha! No defense for using a sampson in a park! You crack me up. A sampson isnt a shovel. Its a hand digger with a long handle.

I dont really care if you like their use or not, they do an excellent job. The only thing that matters is what the ground looks like when we walk away.

I agree, digger, not a shovel..

<°)))>{

OMG that scares me to think of carrying like that. I'm the guy who would fall and impale myself with the blade. :lol:

I have been carrying a Sampson for many years. The ONLY thing I've ever had said to me about digging is "wow, I've been watching you and I cant even tell where you have dug"

I have been carrying it that way for years without any problems. It doesn't swing and doesn't throw you off balance. On the rare times I have tripped it hasn't even jabbed me.

Hello All.
I hope everyone is getting out swinging their detectors more them I have. Half way through the year already and I can count on one hand with some fingers left over the number of times I have been out detecting. Too many projects going on.
One of those projects is the upcoming Treasure Week at Fox Den Acres Campground in New Stanton, PA. This is where we will hold our inaugural target recovery course. We have seen a lot of interest. Once we have completed the initial course we will evaluate it and make any necessary changes. We already have 2 requests for the program. When set we will announce those. In addition we hope to get some videos on YouTube covering the material in the course.
This course is for recovering targets in lawn areas such as parks and schools. One tool you will not find in this course is a shovel. It is the wrong tool for a park. I cannot figure out where the mentality came from that it is ok to use one in a park. It has become rampant in videos with people defending their use. THERE IS NO DEFENSE. I don’t care if you claim to do a
good job. I have yet to see a good job done on the internet. Bottom line is it looks really bad in appearance.
We will be discussing making an addition to our code of ethics to add that shovels are not to be used in any public lawn area. When most codes were created many years ago it was not put in. Why? It was not even remotely on the radar. No one would think of doing such a thing. It was so far out of the realm of reality that it was not thought of. Well times they are a
changing. We ask that FMDAC clubs, and any club, add it to their code of ethics. Make it known to club members that shovels in parks is not acceptable.
The FMDAC has spent over 30 years working to protect the hobby. I myself have about 20 years of doing so. Now we see that the biggest threat may be coming from within. If this cancer is not stopped it will severely hurt the hobby. Some of the videos online are so bad that I cannot even remotely call them target recovery. They have even surpassed property damage
and went right to vandalism. Newcomers are watching this and think it is proper. I saw a comment recently on facebook that said “How do you dig without a shovel?” I did not make that up.
There is at least one person who has posted a video teaching people to use a shovel in a park. Attempting to claim that it is different then a shovel. It’s not a garden spade he says. Just because the tool did not come from a hardware store does not mean that it is not a shovel. I don’t care if it is a “specialized” tool made for the metal detecting hobby. If it looks like a shovel then it IS a shovel.
If you care about this hobby then start acting to protect it. Do not praise those shovel videos. I don’t care what they dig. Tell them to use a proper tool and learn how to properly recover a target. If enough people do it and stop watching them maybe they will get the message. If I sound a little gruff, well I am. I am tired and fed up with people within this hobby who just
don’t get it. Who are insistent on making up their own code that is far out of line with the long time accepted practices of the hobby. Having to fight forces from the outside is hard enough without having to fight people in the very hobby we are working to protect. I can tell you this just speaking for myself. I have NOT spent a lot of my own time and money protecting this hobby so that someone can dig in a park with a shovel.
Lets us all work together to put a stop to these actions. The hobby you save will be your own.

As Mudpuppy would say...digger please. You old timers were the ones hunting graveyards, digging battlefields at night and so on, out gang raping the parks in group hunts for silver...this is why there's so many limits and outright bans on detecting these days. Matters not what you think either...you got yours but we're gonna get ours too...with shovels:yes:

I see two clubs in the FMDAC list that not one single person I've detected with from each club has used a hand digger in the park. All the people I've detected with from both clubs have all used Sampson's and various forms of Predator Tools long handled.

:lol:

Wow, 2 from that MASSIVE list of clubs? :p

When was the last time that list was scrubbed? Most listed clubs dont list a club website and of the few who do, 3 are dead links. How many of those others with only an email contact are still current?

I know what the FMDAC was created for, but please list the accomplishments. What closed sites have been re-opened by fmdac actions?

The shovels sold for metal detecting are shovels in name only, the width ranges from 3 - 5 inches and a hight of 7 inches, with an overall length of approximately 35 and shorter, (at least the ones I would consider) not a whole lot bigger then hand digging tools, (blade). I have been in the hobby off and on for a short time, (10 years maybe longer) and am no expert, but I wouldn't condemn their use in public spaces. Common sense goes a long way in any endeavor.

The shovels sold for metal detecting are shovels in name only, the width ranges from 3 - 5 inches and a hight of 7 inches, with an overall length of approximately 35 and shorter, (at least the ones I would consider) not a whole lot bigger then hand digging tools, (blade). I have been in the hobby off and on for a short time, (10 years maybe longer) and am no expert, but I wouldn't condemn their use in public spaces. Common sense goes a long way in any endeavor.

I agree.

Back
Top Bottom