• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

New to metal detecting; first nice find

condensermike

Hello everyone my name is Mike and I just recently purchased an entry level Bounty Hunter Tracker IV. I live on 2 and half acres of rural land in central Virginia and have been hunting around my property. I have mostly found junk, old rusty bucket, metal rods, nails, etc, but yesterday I had a really cool find. See attached images. I found a Tootsietoy Howitzer toy made in the USA.

Does anyone have any info on this? I did an internet search and looks like they are out of business and made toys from the 20s until the 90s.

Take care,
Mike

Attachments

• tootsietoy-howitzer-2-70252020.JPG
    tootsietoy-howitzer-2-70252020.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 470
  • tootsietoy-howitzer-1-70252020.JPG
    tootsietoy-howitzer-1-70252020.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 467
Welcome from Winnsboro, South Carolina !!!!

Neat find ! :thumbsup: if I can find any info later about it I'll post it.

As far as finding trash, don't feel bad, I think many of us find our share of trash, especially when first starting out, my first few test hunts were just trash like pull-tabs and old nails :lol:

The BH Tracker IV is a really good budget level detector, a great deal for the low price, I found a good video someone made to help those who are new to the Tracker IV -

Bounty Hunter Tracker IV Review Demonstration and How To Operate

:mder:_____:mder: _____:mder:_____:mder:

Welcome and cool first find! BH Tracker was my first detector, too. I managed to find so much change in the first month with it that I moved over to the Nokta Simplex. That machine will find you a lot of nice stuff...have fun!

Welcome to the Forum from West Michigan! I have a 1996 2nd Edition TOOTSIETOYS Collection Guide and found one that closely resembles the one you found except for the tires, I'm thinking that it's just the way they took the pic.

Attachments

• IMG_20200726_163514.jpg
    IMG_20200726_163514.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 379
Big thanks to everyone’s reply and helpful links/info. I can already tell this is going to make a great supplement hobby to my amateur astronomy interests.

Anyone else into astronomy?

Big thanks to everyone’s reply and helpful links/info. I can already tell this is going to make a great supplement hobby to my amateur astronomy interests.

I have had an interest in astronomy since I was a kid, still do but need to try to get my telescopes/binoculars out more than I have been for some time. I do usually glance up and check out any planets/stars when I take our dog out to potty after dark though. Jupiter and Saturn are easily seen in the evening right now.

Nothing high tech, but I do have an original verson of the Edmund Astroscan wide field telescope as well as a humble 60mm refractor, also have several sets of binoculars including a Bushnell 10x50 model.

Thank God we live where the total solar eclipse in 2017 was visible from our own front yard, it was a really special treat for my wife and I to see !

Here is a link to a thread I made back then:

Eclipse videos and pics (from our own front yard)

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=251088&highlight=eclipse

:lookclose:

Last edited:
Cool videos! My wife and I traveled to Smith Rock State Park in Oregon and camped with some friends. It was without a doubt the most amazing natural phenomenon I have ever seen. April 2024 is the next one!

I have Heavens Above app on my phone and like to track ISS and satellites.

Wish I had a telescope though.....

(and Tracker IV was my first MD and I love it)

Cool videos! My wife and I traveled to Smith Rock State Park in Oregon and camped with some friends. It was without a doubt the most amazing natural phenomenon I have ever seen. April 2024 is the next one!

Thanks, a neat effect the eclipse videos don't show was a noticeable drop in temperature during the eclipse, after seeing a total solar eclipse first hand you wish it would happen more often :lol:

Also Gary, that little Astroscan is a gem of a telescope. Great for camping trips.

My 60mm refractor is better for higher magnification like looking at some planets, but the wide field of view Astroscan is great for good views of things like the Pleiades star cluster. I also have Mylar film solar filters for safely looking at the sun for sunspot activity.

The Pleiades star cluster can look like a handful of diamonds with a wide field telescope or binoculars.

I think the Andromeda galaxy is the only galaxy you can actually see with the naked eye without any binoculars or telescope, of course with the naked eye it looks like a smudge of light and the sky needs to be very clear and dark.

We live in a semi-rural area on the edge of a small town so the light pollution is not as bad as near big cities and the sky gets reasonably dark.

I remember a long time ago we had to drive thru the West Virginia mountains at night and made a stop and was amazed at how dark the sky was where you could see our Milky Way galaxy, it almost felt like you were in outer space :shock:

(For those without a telescope even binoculars can be good for looking at wide field views of the night sky)

Here's pics I found of the original Astroscan telescope, the Pleiades star cluster, the Andromeda galaxy, and our own Milky Way galaxy -
astroscan_400.jpg

Pleades.jpg

Andromeda_galaxy.jpg

milky_way2.jpg

Cool find! I had the set when I was a kid. From the ‘70’s.
The set also included a truck looking like a deuce-and-a-half, a trailer, and a open door Jeep.
As far as I know, it was just those pieces. I played with those for years.
I had two of the cannons. Nice ride down memory lane.

Back
Top Bottom