metal detecting VS Tinnitus

Tryggve76

I would like to know if there are any other Tinnitus sufferers who are MDs
and which model detector you use because almost every model I have searched all seem to have the same sound when an object has been detected. [like a beep.beep compared to the smooth flow of the sovereign].

Except the SOVEREIGN GT which has a completely different sound which in my opinion would suit a person with bad Tinnitus perfectly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9l5Xm9wt7Lg

Below is a brief explanation of Tinnitus..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinnitus

Tinnitus is the perception of sound when no corresponding external sound is present.[1] While often described as a ringing, it may also sound like a clicking, buzzing, hiss, or roaring.[2] Rarely, unclear voices or music are heard.[3] The sound may be soft or loud, low or high pitched, and appear to be coming from one or both ears.[2] Most of the time, it comes on gradually.[3] In some people, the sound may interfere with concentration or cause anxiety or depression.[2] Tinnitus may be associated with some degree of hearing loss.[2] :shock:

I was diagnosed with hearing loss when I had ringing in my ears. Seems anything over 3000 hrz I'm not able to hear. Loud music, the artillery and running construction equipment has taken its toll. It comes and goes. I use 5 tones on the Equinox and am able to hear well enough I guess. I have wondered if I am missing some tones. To combat this I will run a slight threshold, or use all metal mode when I suspect I am missing signals. Also I have my volume set to max on the 800 and control that with the headphones. Good luck, Mark

I would like to know if there are any other Tinnitus sufferers who are MDs
and which model detector you use because almost every model I have searched all seem to have the same sound when an object has been detected. [like a beep.beep compared to the smooth flow of the sovereign].

Except the SOVEREIGN GT which has a completely different sound which in my opinion would suit a person with bad Tinnitus perfectly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9l5Xm9wt7Lg

Below is a brief explanation of Tinnitus..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinnitus

Tinnitus is the perception of sound when no corresponding external sound is present.[1] While often described as a ringing, it may also sound like a clicking, buzzing, hiss, or roaring.[2] Rarely, unclear voices or music are heard.[3] The sound may be soft or loud, low or high pitched, and appear to be coming from one or both ears.[2] Most of the time, it comes on gradually.[3] In some people, the sound may interfere with concentration or cause anxiety or depression.[2] Tinnitus may be associated with some degree of hearing loss.[2] :shock:

I have tinitus. Mine is a constant low ringing/humming mixed with the sound of the ocean you hear in a conk shell. That Sovereign humming would drive me completely nuts, I think. I actually hear things a whole note hire in my left ear than my right...theres a name for that too...but I can't remember it. Anyways, I've been using an AT Pro on the beach (dry sand mostly) and I haven't had any issues with it. I like the bell tone you get for coin sized objects the best...but even the flat higher and lower range tones are fine...and the iron tone is good too. I also have some hearing loss but I don't feel that I am missing any sounds. If I do miss sounds, there's always the display that reacts but it very seldom reacts without me hearing the tone and upon closer inspection, the signal was false anyway. So...it works well for me.

I have meniere's disease the ringing, the hearing loss in affected ear, the vertigo ear feeling like its plugged...

The ringing shouldn't be an issue for you...

They make supplements you can try... I don't bother because my ringing or whatever you want to call it is there 24/7...

I take a antivert each day and a water pill to keep the fluid levels in my ears stable..

I've had tinnitus in both ears for about three years now. The sound I get is a hissing sound and for some reason only seems to bother me in the evening.
Could it be caused by 38 years of detecting? Possibly....

I also have Tinnitus, maybe for the last 9-10 years. Have suffered loss of hearing at the higher frequency end of the sound spectrum.

I wonder if it may have been caused by years of listening to a detector's target responses with headphones so close to the eardrums.

My Tinnitus is an ever-present annoyance, but is more noticeable at times than at other times.

I also have Tinnitus and some hearing loss. I just use woreless headphones and turn the volume up ! It works for me, but maybe not so much for others.

I have some hearing loss so I went to an audiologist to have it tested. I got fitted with a pair of hearing aids. I don't need them with my wireless Z-Lynk phones, although I haven't tried them with the earphones. The audiologist said it is normal to lose some hearing acuity with seniority. Even with seniority I don't get any respect. I could use some good luck with the MD, too!

VA service connected tinnitus here. I use the ACE400 so I hear the iron audio and the beep. Those are the only sounds. So for me it is not an issue. I understand other detectors have different sounds/tones

Mine sounds like constant buzzing of a million cicadas. As long as I turn up volume of any device louder than the ringing, its not an issue. The ringing is really loud when its totally quiet outside at night or in a quiet room. Its annoying.
Detectors with tone, volume and iron volume controls, make life easier.

I'm like Sven, except mine sound like Crickets all the time [and I haven't heard real one's for years] but no problem detectors, or if I do, I wouldn't know LOL...

Mine sounds like constant buzzing of a million cicadas. As long as I turn up volume of any device louder than the ringing, its not an issue. The ringing is really loud when its totally quiet outside at night or in a quiet room. Its annoying.
Detectors with tone, volume and iron volume controls, make life easier.

That sounds very similar to my dad's. I've been wanting to buy him a detector for a while now but I am concerned that the noise will ruin the experience for him.

I have Tinnitus and have used my Nox 800's tones and bins to make the sounds for different ranges suit my hearing needs. I have been happy with the results. I bought a Simplex but the different pitches of the same tone did not work for me, so sold the Simplex.

SCREAMING!!!!!! all day every day......and total hearing loss in some tones... the NOX sounds/tones are adaptable so just adjust them to your liking....

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I have tinnitus as well, due to constant swimmer's ear as a kid and playing my electric guitar and music too loud. Now I pay the piper with constant ringing in my right ear, quite high pitched. I've become accustomed to it and block it out on most days (except today when you brought it up).

I guess that why I like Sovs, the varying pitch is clear and I never miss it a hit. That being said I also jumper out the background hum (yeah I know, I'll miss deep stuff. But it drives me nuts).

yeah, i have it, but i've never experienced trouble with my fishers... the ringing is constant in my left haha.

I have the hearing loss and the high pitched ringing in my ears (both). Too many years of big booms, rock music, and construction. BUT it doesn't affect my MD'ing, so I have no complaints....the earphones on my AT Max ARE a Godsend!

I have tinnitus and avoid using headphones as much as possible. They will make it worse. Just having the volume set a little too high will do damage to your hearing.

I also take it easy on the aspirin. It will definitely make your hearing problems worse if you take it on a regular basis.

Back
Top Bottom