Dogs at the park

Detectingman

Don't know what is going on, but the past few times hunting a local park I have dogs run up on me. Today 2 German shepherds were running at me full force and the owner called them back just in time. Before that had 2 mutts run at me and come up to me. The owner asks me if I found anything. I told them when I take my dogs out I always keep them on a leash. She was totally oblivious that I was referring to her dogs...Why can't people keep their dogs on a leash in public? Maybe it takes actually responsibility. You may think your dog is cute and cuddly but I don't want to take a chance of being mauled. Just don't get people sometimes. I've always said there are no stupid dogs, just stupid owners.

yo D

Indeed. Some folks just laugh and say they are harmless....after you dropped a load in your drawers or stepped in their dew! And they complain about us digaholics! have a great year a field me bouy!

Don't know what is going on, but the past few times hunting a local park I have dogs run up on me. Today 2 German shepherds were running at me full force and the owner called them back just in time. Before that had 2 mutts run at me and come up to me. The owner asks me if I found anything. I told them when I take my dogs out I always keep them on a leash. She was totally oblivious that I was referring to her dogs...Why can't people keep their dogs on a leash in public? Maybe it takes actually responsibility. You may think your dog is cute and cuddly but I don't want to take a chance of being mauled. Just don't get people sometimes.

I've always said there are no stupid dogs, just stupid owners.

It's sad that some dogs are put at risk because of a lack of proper responsibility by their owners, thanks for understanding it's not the dog's fault, but the owners.

I like to have my dog on a leash even when I take her potty in our own yard since the perimeter of our property is not fenced in. While I'd like to trust her to not get in trouble, she is a dog and could get distracted and not listen to me when unleashed.

Remember those that have doge ware rings and pet them and loose them.
I understand not wanting dogs running free.
I go to fenced in dog walking areas where the let their dog run free and those places are rarely hit by detectors.
But you will need to clean your shoes and stuff afterwards and need to wear gloves.
In those areas dogs do run free.

Doug

Don't know what is going on, but the past few times hunting a local park I have dogs run up on me. Today 2 German shepherds were running at me full force and the owner called them back just in time. Before that had 2 mutts run at me and come up to me. The owner asks me if I found anything. I told them when I take my dogs out I always keep them on a leash. She was totally oblivious that I was referring to her dogs...Why can't people keep their dogs on a leash in public? Maybe it takes actually responsibility. You may think your dog is cute and cuddly but I don't want to take a chance of being mauled. Just don't get people sometimes. I've always said there are no stupid dogs, just stupid owners.

Yep. Scares me to death, when they just show up with the rushing sound of dog feet.

Personally, I think dogs are in two categories:
1) Curious, because they're trying to figure out what you are... they'll often run up trying to catch a sniff, and then circle downwind then bolt off. They're trying to ID you is all... but that doesn't help when they're running full bore.

2) Convinced you have a vacuum cleaner. These dogs are absolutely freaked out by the fact you've got that long thing in your hand. They start barking long before they get to you, which frankly, is helpful.

I've never personally been attacked by any dog in a park off leash, but I've just about crapped myself on several occasions (from dogs... once I did !!!! myself, but that was from a bad taco).

Skippy

It's funny someone just wrote about this. I went to my favorite park Saturday and hit paths in and out of the woods. As I pulled up to the far area near soccer fields a guy looking guilty is clapping hands and calling his TWO dogs. They came to him as I was getting ready. They were then put on leashes and went off another way. I'm ready now and head for a path with my 705 and 6" coil. I thought I stepped in ice as my foot slipped n skid about a foot long. My Under Armour hiking boot is now full of a huge poop pile! !! How nice. Next, A nice lady her daughter and their large mix breed was on a leash but we met on a path through woods. The dog didn't like a big human waving a strange thing on the ground carrying sharp lesche spade and pouches and things hanging off it I guess. Dog froze and growled as she tried to pull it but it didn't budge. I walked in to woods giving them plenty of space. She apologized and I said no problem hes on a leash it's his park too. After digging one zinc I quit that path and tried the sidelines of the soccer field. Wasn't 5 mins and a nice but curious little beagle comes by and not much happend other than that's another one NO leash. Lady came up and got him. She was talkative but friendly. Finally I did get some quiet time snd got a little clad 4 quarters and 6-7 zincers which was strange, No coppers, dimes or nickels? I dug modern tabs and a cheap metal hair burett and other junk checking to be sure I don't pass a ring. Doing 100 feet or so two grid lines on the side of a soccer field, the sidelines, one side. And topping this off I get buzzed by a drone and thats another thread! It was hovering me everytime I bent over and dug.
Took me 15 minutes rubbing my $155.00 boots in a leftover snow plow bank to clean the poop off.
Dog day afternoon.

I've got a 10 year old deaf pitbull on an 8 foot lead sitting beside me while I dig. People keep their dogs under control. Little do they know he's a sweetheart. I move he moves, I stop he sits and waits. Only people I've ever had him pay any mind to are those I'm watching as well. Don't always take him, but more often than not. Some areas it's good to have a set of eyes just watching the surroundings. I'm amazed at how the central valley parks have changed in 20 years. Waiting for the first time my target turns out to be a hypodermic needle.

I've had dogs running up toward me and I go for my digger just in case. Just about every time, the owner says that they won't hurt you or bite. My response to them is yeah, that's what they all say. I trust no dogs and some less than others.

I've always said there are no stupid dogs,

Might I suggest you reconsider this statement? While I'm not currently a dog owner, I have seen my share of really stupid dogs.

just stupid owners.

And we can agree on this, as well. There's far too many stupid people out there, and not only dog owners.

My opines being stated, what I don't understand is those owners that have no concept of pet laws in most municipalities.
Here in my town, owners of "domesticated animals" are required to have a city license for it, and to get that license, one must have a document from a vet for vaccinations. (Rabies, distemper, etc.) There's a discount for spaying or neutering. Additionally, one must keep it fenced in, or on a chain/cable, while on their property. Optionally, they may have it off a restraint, but the critter must be within sight of the owner, and respond to verbal commands.

Dog owners aren't so bad, but cat owners around here are terrible. They allow their "pet" to run loose at all hours, have zero collars, much less the city tag, and one would be hard pressed to reasonable call them anyone's "pet". :mad:

When I did have a dog, I followed the rules, even to the point of fencing in a portion of my backyard, as I don't care for the concept of tieing a dog down that ultimately limits it's ability to attempt to escape another dog that might find it's way into the yard.

Rant mode off, I remain.....Roger

Might I suggest you reconsider this statement? While I'm not currently a dog owner, I have seen my share of really stupid dogs.

And we can agree on this, as well. There's far too many stupid people out there, and not only dog owners.

My opines being stated, what I don't understand is those owners that have no concept of pet laws in most municipalities.
Here in my town, owners of "domesticated animals" are required to have a city license for it, and to get that license, one must have a document from a vet for vaccinations. (Rabies, distemper, etc.) There's a discount for spaying or neutering. Additionally, one must keep it fenced in, or on a chain/cable, while on their property. Optionally, they may have it off a restraint, but the critter must be within sight of the owner, and respond to verbal commands.

Dog owners aren't so bad, but cat owners around here are terrible. They allow their "pet" to run loose at all hours, have zero collars, much less the city tag, and one would be hard pressed to reasonable call them anyone's "pet". :mad:

When I did have a dog, I followed the rules,
even to the point of fencing in a portion of my backyard, as I don't care for the concept of tieing a dog down that ultimately limits it's ability to attempt to escape another dog that might find it's way into the yard.

Rant mode off, I remain.....Roger

Very good point !!!!

While our entire 1 1/2 acres property is not fenced in, I do have a large roughly 15 feet wide by 76 feet long fenced in area for times when our dog is outside for a while getting exercise, I even have part of it covered to provide for shade so our dog is not in the sun constantly. Our dog is an inside dog and does not prefer to be outside unless I am outside too :lol:

For the short trips when I take her outside just to go potty I put her on a leash which is connected to a body harness so it is not hard on her neck.

There is either a current law or one they are ready to pass that makes it against the law to tie down a dog outside. There have been some very sad cases where uncaring owners have left their dog tied up outside for hours or even days and weeks or longer and not even bother to ensure they had fresh water and food regularly.

It is beyond my understanding how anyone can get a dog and just leave them outside constantly with very little human interaction, dogs need companionship and love and I'm sure they feel sad and neglected when they get neither and are left alone most of the time. Our dogs have always been inside dogs and considered part of the family.

Someday we'll see them on Judge Judy :laughing::laughing:

I've had dogs running up toward me and I go for my digger just in case. Just about every time, the owner says that they won't hurt you or bite. My response to them is yeah, that's what they all say. I trust no dogs and some less than others.

Same here. I cannot count how many times when I go walking/hiking in the Federal lands around me that I've had dogs run up on me before their owners were anywhere nearby. I *always* hike with my bottle probe in one hand (as a walking stick) and when the owner finally shows he sees the probe and calls the dog back very quickly. I remind them that it's illegal to have their dog off-leash in the park and they could be fined. I have turned a few of these ignoramuses in through the years when they gave me static about it. This almost always happens in the offseason when they think nobody else is around. If I have to obey laws so should they.

There's a reason a dog will only mess with a skunk once.
There's a reason a dog will only mess with a mailman once- mace.

Don't even get me started on irresponsible dog owners...as the owner of a 4-year-old German Shepherd, I have always been concerned that others' perceptions and ignorance were most likely to determine the outcome of an interaction with her. At the risk of sounding like "one of those crazy dog people" she truly is a lover, has been extensively socialized to people, and is a giant sucky butt.

This being said, I have little doubt that if anyone ever threatened myself or my wife, my pupper would not hesitate to put the smack down on someone. Thus, I am hyper-conscious of my ability to control her in public as I feel it is more likely that the ignorance of others is the biggest threat (especially as my pup is considered a "bully breed"). Sometimes I feel like I have to protect her from ignorant people just walking up and getting in her face. I just wish that more people would take their responsibility to control their four-legged family member seriously. Regarding the leash thing, I don't always have her on a leash (like when I take her to the vacant fairgrounds for a run), but she will then at a minimum be wearing her long-range shock collar on for "remote control".

As far as (many) cat owners are concerned....I have given up worrying about peoples' cats straying into my yard. If they can't be bothered to keep them in their own yard/house, then have no right to be ticked off when they become kitty nuggets after straying into the wrong yard.

Attachments

• 20191207_111144.jpg
    20191207_111144.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 271
I have been bit more than once by those dogs who "They don't bite". If one comes running towards me at the beach where the law says they must be on a leash my heavy SCOOP Is immediately brought to bear. I like dogs but I do not like getting bit.

As far as (many) cat owners are concerned....I have given up worrying about peoples' cats straying into my yard. If they can't be bothered to keep them in their own yard/house, then have no right to be ticked off when they become kitty nuggets after straying into the wrong yard.

If your dog is killing neighborhood cats, then he needs to be tied up at all times. The next visitor in your yard could be a little kid retrieving his ball.

I've seen way too many videos of dogs being shot by cops because they got past their fence and attacked a person or a tiny dog. Don't complain when this happens to your dog because you want him to run free in your yard.

Back
Top Bottom