Been hunting for gold

woodbutcher

Forum Supporter
But not very productive. I seem to find gold by chance when I do.. Haven’t been out in awhile.Got a hour at the local park, lots of nickels. Set the nox up so 10-13 and 25 and up are high tones, and I dig them all. Only digs not shown were 2 pulltabs. Managed a war nickel,junk ring,wheat penny and nickels.

Attachments

• 0BCD8DA3-40C7-4AE5-8F0E-E07F67C6E2B4.jpg
    0BCD8DA3-40C7-4AE5-8F0E-E07F67C6E2B4.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 475
  • 62DB499F-34BB-4042-B248-9C53AD52BF59.jpg
    62DB499F-34BB-4042-B248-9C53AD52BF59.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 462
Last edited:
Looks like you’re on the right track.
No gold for me yet for 10 years. Gazillions of pull tabs though.

Ott tt
But not very productive. I seem to find gold by chance when I do.. Haven’t been out in awhile.Got a hour at the local park, lots of nickels. Set the nox up so 10-13 and 25 and up are high tones, and I dig them all. Only digs not shown were 2 pulltabs. Managed a war nickel,junk ring,wheat penny and nickels.
X fr *4 free tuition Ferreira r out ofu t rut I polio oyrttouyttttttryyytttttttttt

Sent while sweeping and beeping using Tapatalk

I think a lot of detectorists pass on those nickel signals. I went to a park that I know had been hit before, and found 19 nickels in one day. I notch mine where I see 12-14, and 18 and up. I use to pass on a lot of the shallow penny signals, but I have found a few good things in the low 20's, so I started digging them. I found a big gold ring that came up an 18 earlier this year, and since then, I can't pass them up. :laughing:. Of course, everything else I have found that comes up an 18 or 19 is not very good, but I still dig the strong 18-23 signals. Good luck on finding your gold!

First off Woody good on ya, you got out. And second congrats on the War nickel and wheat. One more silver for the pile. Heck they are worth almost a buck & a half these days. I have been digging most mid-tones with 11 thru 13 set to hightone but find myself digging some lower #s and some higher if they sound deep and give a good repeatable. Thats since I found a gold ring in June. It was a solid 11. Good luck, Mark

Persistent pays off. At least that's what they keep telling me.. Good luck.

Ott ttX fr *4 free tuition Ferreira r out ofu t rut I polio oyrttouyttttttryyytttttttttt

SENT WHILE SWEEPING AND BEEPING usingTapatalk

:lol:

What about all those gold items between 13 and 25, or under 10? In my limited experience, one ring out of about 8 now(I think) would have been a high tone for your setup. You're doing a good job of finding nickels, and not digging zincolns, but you might be missing the most common zincoln/pulltab range gold.
Keep at it...GL & HH!

Here's my .02c : The trick to finding gold is not to lower your disc. , and be a hero in junky parks. Instead the trick is : Location Location Location.

Hunt swim beaches , for better odds and more conducive conditions for jewelry losses . Not to mention that digging in sand is easier. And if you MUST hunt turf in your quest for gold jewelry, then even then: Not all turf is the same. For example: Sports turf location (soccer, around the goal posts, for instance) is going to be less punishing that anything that involves picnicking. Because the moment you add picnicking, is the moment you introduce foil (for the food wraps) and tabs and can slaw, for the soda cans. And the moment you add BBQ pits, is the moment you add molten aluminum nuggets.

Other land locations are : sand volley ball courts, PT courses, hand-wrestle pits, mud wrestle pits (once they're dried out), etc....

Here's my .02c : The trick to finding gold is not to lower your disc. , and be a hero in junky parks. Instead the trick is : Location Location Location.

Hunt swim beaches , for better odds and more conducive conditions for jewelry losses . Not to mention that digging in sand is easier. And if you MUST hunt turf in your quest for gold jewelry, then even then: Not all turf is the same. For example: Sports turf location (soccer, around the goal posts, for instance) is going to be less punishing that anything that involves picnicking. Because the moment you add picnicking, is the moment you introduce foil (for the food wraps) and tabs and can slaw, for the soda cans. And the moment you add BBQ pits, is the moment you add molten aluminum nuggets.

Other land locations are : sand volley ball courts, PT courses, hand-wrestle pits, mud wrestle pits (once they're dried out), etc....

Listen to Tom he is absolutely correct, however I've never seen a mud wrestle pit?

.......... the trick is : Location Location Location.

Hunt swim beaches ........

This ^^^^ and I would add sports fields and very clean parks with undug beaver tails.

Lots of good info here. Not many sport fields around here that are open to digging. Been hitting the parks and play areas. Thanks for the feedback

Listen to Tom he is absolutely correct, however I've never seen a mud wrestle pit?

It's sometimes on the courses for iron-man triathlons . They take a bunch of hay-bails or whatever, and form a giant rectangle pit (or simply dig a big pit). Then fill it up with dirt and water to make knee deep mud. Then a bunch of people go in, in bathing suits, and wrestle each other in the mud.

Yes it's a rare thing, that you don't hear of too much. But when it happens, you can bet spectators are lined up to see the gals go in with bikinis to try their hand at the PT thing :laughing:

I've found every Gold ring or piece of Gold jewelry at a sports field.. It sucks but you have to dig those weird low tones..

Ok.lol. just wasn't sure what was going on
I suspect it's the forum equivalent of a but dial. I waa reading this thread before I tossed my phone in my pocket.

Sent while sweeping and beeping using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom