Example of Bureaucracy at its finest :

Tom_in_CA

Elite Member
Here's an example of how Lawyers can dream up the silliest things, in our litigious society :

I own a small company with several employees. We work in road construction (street sweepers). As such, sometimes we do jobs that require a paperwork called "certified payrolls". It's a form that is filled out with the driver's payroll data, to ensure/prove that we paid him the correct state & union mandated rate of pay.

The reverse side of the form is the affidavit part, where we sign that "... the aforementioned data is true and correct", blah blah . The person who signs that can be ... simply ... whoever does payroll and paperwork for the company in question . Eg.: The payroll clerk, or secretary or, whomever.

Well at a recent job I was on, this level of certification wasn't good enough, I suppose, for some lawyer. So he came up with ANOTHER form, that showed that : Whomever it is, that signs the form, LIKEWISE has the company owner's permission, to be signing it , IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Makes sense, eh ? After all, what if an unscrupulous secretary or payroll clerk fabricated something w/o the company owner's knowledge ??

So we, along with an entire list of sub's on the job, was sent this supplemental form to sign. And the instructions made clear that: "If the company owner themselves, was ALSO the one that signs the certified payrolls, then there is no need to fill out the supplemental form". Since, of course, this would be redundant for someone to "authorize himself" to sign something, eh ? :roll:

A month went by. Just today I got word that ... no ... the upper management lawyer people decided that every vendor must sign the form. Even if they themselves are the one who signs the forms.

Yup, can you believe that ? So today, I signed the form, that authorizes me to sign the form. Gee, otherwise my signature would not hold up in court, if I hadn't signed a form that authorized me to sign a form ?

What's this crazy litigious world coming to ? I got a good laugh out of that.

haha thats a good one. I had the safety officer come in to work a few months ago and tell me I needed a hot work permit to weld of grind in my shop. Well my "shop" is one of the largest glass blowing and casting facilities in the country. Literally as he is talking to me; I'm standing next to two furnaces that are 2150F, and 3 blowing benches. Each Blowing station also has a glory hole that operates at 2100 a garage and pipe warmer that operate at 1000f and aroun 2000F, a propane torch(big fluffy kind), and a oxy propane torch. I looked around and asked what was any difference from blowing glass to grinding and welding(i have welding screens so that was not the issue). Then asked why this area wasn't a permanent hot work area? Turns out it is one, yet I still had to come up with separate fire safety procedures for welding and grinding for some reason..... the lack of common sense is crazy

Welcome to the department of redundancy department...

One of the big reasons I got out of commercial work was because of the idiocy that flies around in these contracts. No thanks! :D

I recently had a company lose a check. It was never presented to my bank. b
Before they would try to trace it I had to send them a picture of the check, front and back. How can you do that when they lost it?

Seems like every job i do down here that involves getting a permit is about the same. I even had to do one that required a copy of my birth certificate with an apostille from the secretary of the state I was born in, but have not lived in, for the past twenty years.
Originals and copies of everything, throw in a copy of the Constitution for good measure, but only if it was signed by the original signers :lol::lol::lol:

I sincerely wish that the bozos who make these regulations would get in an accident and be presented with a stack of forms the size of the Oxford English Dictionary to fill out before receiving treatment. And be asked for a reference from their great-great-great-great-grandparents.

-- Tom

Back
Top Bottom