County Parks????

tjr35

Elite Member
Are county parks typically fair game or do I need to ask permission?

I scoped out a park close to where I live today and it looks very promising. Tot lot galore and a softball complex surrounded by wood chips. I found .35 cents just walking around it. I really want to hunt it. I will be heartbroken if I ask permission and they say no.

Check and see if their ordinances are online. One township in my area doesn't have it posted at the park that metal detecting isn't allowed, but online by their park ordinance, it's illegal to metal detect with fines of 100.00 to 1000.00.
If not online, call the parks and recreation dept. and ask. I email them and then print it out for use as a permission verification in case someone questions it.
Better to check.

It may be helpful if you can be flexible, too. MD'ing is prohibited in our county parks. I talked to one of the supervisers, though, and asked if I could try it in the off season. I told him how much trash and debris one typically pulls out. He said that he wasn't against it, and asked me to come back in the fall so we can talk further. If I get permission, I'm expecting some kind of legal exchange (liability clause for him, written permission for me). Good luck! Curt

It may be helpful if you can be flexible, too. MD'ing is prohibited in our county parks. I talked to one of the supervisers, though, and asked if I could try it in the off season. I told him how much trash and debris one typically pulls out. He said that he wasn't against it, and asked me to come back in the fall so we can talk further. If I get permission, I'm expecting some kind of legal exchange (liability clause for him, written permission for me). Good luck! Curt

Thanks.

From my googling I have seen where people have said you can MD but you cant dig holes. I don't know if this is my counties policy or not. This leads me to another question...would digging in tot lot mulch be considered the same as digging holes?? Not in my eyes.

I guess I will bite the bullet and make a phone call and see what they say. It just seems like most will just say no because they have a vision of someone tearing up their grounds. We will see I guess.

Good luck with that. Honestly if you call you're no better than getting caught doing it....whether against the rules or not.

Good luck with that. Honestly if you call you're no better than getting caught doing it....whether against the rules or not.

That is what I am afraid of. I just don't know the worst thing that could happen if I just do it. I certainly don't need a fine or ticket. If I figured they would politely just tell me to leave I would chance it.

That is what I am afraid of. I just don't know the worst thing that could happen if I just do it. I certainly don't need a fine or ticket. If I figured they would politely just tell me to leave I would chance it.

If you act normal then 95% of the time the police will act as if you're a normal Joe just detecting and ignore you.

If they don't ignore you that doesn't mean they're going to tell you to leave. They maybe just as clueless as you! If they inquire just act more knowledgeable than them, and in a confident way let them know that everything is going good and you're glad the weather is cooperating for once. Really, most towns don't have regulations and we have to make them!

My advice is that when you call them ask if there are any restrictions on MD county parks, not whether it is allowed or not. Also get the name of the person that you talked to and record the date and time so if you get stopped and bothered you have information to back you up. Good luck.

My county parks have signs posted with the park rules - check to see if the signs prohibit MDing. If not, check the county website also for rules. Then I would go ahead and detect when the parks are not busy (early morning, etc.). Personally I would not detect on any sports field, but stick to the spectator areas, and picnic areas.

As indicated above, this is very 'area dependent'. Some have rules, some don't. If not posted, it 'may' be OK...not always though. I ask the local police department, they usually have the information. Just remember who you ask in case a park employee approaches you later. RickO

My county parks have signs posted with the park rules - check to see if the signs prohibit MDing. If not, check the county website also for rules. Then I would go ahead and detect when the parks are not busy (early morning, etc.). Personally I would not detect on any sports field, but stick to the spectator areas, and picnic areas.

Yeah they have signs posted around the park and on the website but nothing on metal detecting. I did see they have rules about geocaching which says you can not dig holes and bury anything, so I would assume they don't want anyone digging on the grounds. However, digging in tot lot mulch should be viewed a little different. I also have hesitation on hunting the softball fields, but I would only do the infield dirt if at all.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

All the county parks in the counties close to me allow detecting but you can't dig. All you can do is probe and they have restrictions on the probe too!! The hole can't be larger than a certain size and the probe 1/4" dia and certain length. Last time I went, the maintenance crew was there and I was using a screwdriver as a probe and no-one bothered me. Got a bunch of pull tabs lol
Probe=Pain in arse in my opinion. I just dug with it :D
Yes Ricko, one grounds guy I asked if it was ok and he said I couldn't. Then I told him the regulations.......he had no clue

My advice is that when you call them ask if there are any restrictions on MD county parks, not whether it is allowed or not. Also get the name of the person that you talked to and record the date and time so if you get stopped and bothered you have information to back you up. Good luck.

+1 to what Dan said...

Give them an open-ended question - "Are there any restrictions on metal detecting county parks?"

If you ask a simple "Yes" or "No" question, chances are - they're going to fire back with a resounding NO immediately. It'll be their knee jerk response as a state / city employee.

For me, personally, I know for a fact that in Wisconsin - State Parks are off-limits. With the couple of counties I've visited thus far while metal detecting, there's no mention of MD'ing on their websites. So I'm playing dumb and ignorant because as far as the research I've done, there's been no mention of it. And there aren't any signs up at any of the parks that read "METAL DETECTING IS FORBIDDEN!" I've also not been bothered by any employees or anyone else.

So I'm playing dumb and ignorant because as far as the research I've done, there's been no mention of it. And there aren't any signs up at any of the parks that read "METAL DETECTING IS FORBIDDEN!" I've also not been bothered by any employees or anyone else.

Thanks, this is the route I was thinking of taking. I am just a big non-confrontational chicken. :D

city parks, state parks

The state parks in indiana are mostly closed for metal detecting that is because the land is owned or operated by DNR. If DNR owns or operates the land, DO NOT DIG! If DNR does not own nor is responsible for then you would have to find the owner of the land and ask persmission. The best way to get the info is on a website for the county assessors office, they have maps and landowner names. You simply look for the name, open a phone book or internet and then contact them. I had called the Parks Dept. for a few of the surrounding counties and have permission to hunt the city parks. Most of all city parks in indiana are open for detecting but just try to contact the supervisor of the city parks dept and get permission for each park. Ask your local fair grounds property manager, most likely you are not the first to ask and get permission.

I think most land owners just don't want the liability for a person to be on thier property, if they only knew me, i would'nt hold them accountalbe if i were to get hurt, its my own stupid fault. I take and assume all risk involved but trying to get them to believe that is hard. Even if you have a document to waive the rights for responsibility they are going to look at you as if you were a lawyer and who likes lawyers. Just give it time and ask everyone you know, even the elder guy that is eating the early morning breakfast at the local diner could help you, just be nice and honest.

Are county parks typically fair game or do I need to ask permission?

I scoped out a park close to where I live today and it looks very promising. Tot lot galore and a softball complex surrounded by wood chips. I found .35 cents just walking around it. I really want to hunt it. I will be heartbroken if I ask permission and they say no.

I sent an email about a County park from thier web page and got the O.K. ,I'll carry a copy of it with me just in case I get questioned. Just give it a try. County and State parks probably have different rules, also look and see if certain townships have park rules and regs. posted. good luck...

Back
Top Bottom