Is Garrett a good brand?

I believe it was on Reddit. Reddit sucks but I've been researching the most I can. I live in Michigan and plan on hitting up the beaches early spring before people get out. I also do a lot of detecting in the southern part of MI as well. And occasionally off the coast of NC. I think I will go with the AT gold since it's only $100 more anyways.

I would avoid things like reddit for reviews....you'll get mainly loudmouths who had a bad experience, making it sound like it's the norm.

Garrett, based upon virtually all posts on the subject here, is an excellent company. I have two garrets and a fisher (an ACE 250, an AT Pro, and an F2). So far I'm happy with all three of them. I recently (yesterday) emailed Garrett to see what it would cost to give my AT Pro a "once over" to make sure that all is well with it and make sure that I don't get it out and have issues (I bought it used from a trusted person here, but I want to have Garrett look at it, depending on the cost and update the firmware if applicable, etc). I haven't heard back, but based upon the feedback here, it will either be free or very reasonably priced (hopefully free ;) ) for such a check.

The AT Pro is waterproof to 10 feet, so unless you're scuba diving deeper than that, it should certainly suffice for your needs.

The metal detecting subredit is okay, except for that one guy that is always badmouthing Garrett and touting Minelab as the greatest thing ever. He's now polluting NASA-Tom's site with his nonsense. Very annoying fellow.

I find Reddit to be annoying in general. Kinda tired of seeing bs BuzzFeed posts on the front page alledging somebody of something.

Let me share my experience with the AtPro in Michigan waters...I hope you find this helpful.....

You want to hunt in Michigan lakes Huh? Well...Yes, Marge, you and anybody else considering must avoid the AtPro at all Costs! Everything you have heard about the Garrett Co and specifically about the AtPro is correct! Shyster Company, Texas I believe, (you know what that means)...ElCheapoChapo! Dumping massive dollars into ignorant gringo marketing for an inferior and basically worthless tinkertoy rig...Like Ford...

Shoulda been Obvious to me from first glance, but I bought into the hype!

Tiny little LCD TID screen, washes out in the sunlight and fogs up in the dark,...cheapo S shaft design, heavy and uncomfortable to swing, not ergonomically balanced at all, strenuous to the point of serious tennis elbow injury...cant hunt the dry sand and for sure dont want to take this rig into the water!

When used in Inland Michigan Lake water, the 'special Garrett camlocks' get jammed with silt so bad they are unusable, in about 4hrs....Stupid proprietary headphone and coil plugs makes you a slave to their components...Arm cuff will snap off even! ...Three tones? 'Iron Audio' on or off? Doesnt retain settings upon shut down? Rated to hunt in 10' depths? WTH?

I shoulda known better! FWIW, My stock Garrett blue headphones took a dump once..I called up Garrett and talked to somebody named 'Mary'...I dont know if she is from Bangalore or what, hard to understand what she was saying, possibly from Austin, Brownsville, or Nacogdoches? I Said: 'my phones took a !!!!'...All I know is I had a new set of headphones sitting on my porch in less than 72hrs!...so good job there UPS! America! Hell yeah!

You have heard rightly from your Facebook friends!....Avoid this machine and the Garrett Company in general!...You cant tell a dime from a penny audibly or visual Tiddly a zinc penny from a bottlecap! Pretty much a worthless rig unless you intend to hunt for pulltabs..yeah, it hits the hell outta pulltabs, if thats what you are after, but the AtPro is generally a worthless rig otherwise......

I'd go with a Minelab ExcalII if I were you, proven platform, pedigree, good to 250' depths...Or may I suggest a Tesoro SandShark?...looks good, sounds cool!..."I'm running a Sandshark!" " Good to 250' depths!" How cool is that?....:laughing:

I would just like to get as much input as possible to make an informed choice. Perhaps you enjoy buying things you later regret. But I plan on having this unit for years and would like to get recommendations from more than one person/website. I think I'm just gonna get the AT-MAX looks like it has all the features of both the gold and pro plus a backlight display

Last edited:
If you call a detector dealer tell him you just want the detector so you can get a lower price.
I got my At pro for $100. Less back in 2010.
At max should be a good choice.

Garrett metal detectors are a great company. I have seen them bend over backwards to go out of their way to help customers. They make great machines and are good people!

I think the people saying the ATPro is the most overrated detector might have a point, but you don't become the most overrated detector unless you are pretty good.

I have an Ace 250 and so far I think it's an ok detector. But I'm planning on getting a submersible detector so I can hit up some sand bars on a fresh water lake. I've heard people saying that Garrett company are crooks and there are much better detectors and the only reason Garrett is so popular is because they do tons of advertising. I was planning on buying an AT pro this spring but I figure I got plenty of time to do research. What's a good recommendation for a submersible detector around $600?

So many are selling their used AT Pros right now for about $300-$400, a best value for that price. I had several Ace 250 units and I couldn't gat a correct ID on a dime past 4". Then I got the AT Pro and almost immediately after ground balancing it I got a dime down 7" that IDed correctly on every pass in my moderately mineralized ground that was totally dry and hard.

Still, based on a prototype tester who is very smart and honest, and thorough, I suspect the Minelab Equinox detectors are better. The Equinox 600 is $649, lightweight, can be swept fast, separates coins next to trash. Minelab is offering more info on their site now. Huge numbers of people have theirs pre-ordered. Deliveries start late January. Waterproof to 10', operates on selectable 5, 10, or 15 kHz, or 5, 10, 15, 20, 40 kHz at once.

The Equinox 800 is $899, more features which may help find more. The 20 kHz and 40 kHz can be operated individually. These frequencies should be great for gold. Best wishes.

I can't speak for any other companies or machines, but when I was researching detectors this past year I landed on the AT Pro as my first. I did hours of research on several different machines. Watched tons of vids on YouTube and read just about every post on the forum. It seemed to me, MY OPINION ONLY, the ATP was the best choice for me. Waterproof and easy to learn. I don't necessarily hunt underwater, but there are a lot of streams and rivers in my area. I looked at the waterproofing as added insurance if dropped or caught in a downpour. I spoke to a couple of people that have the ATP, as well as other machines, and they both highly recommended the ATP.

I had to call Garrett a few days after receiving my detector for a well, we'll call user error issue. Of course it was on a weekend...I left my name and number. Honestly, didn't expect a call back, but first thing Monday they called. The lady on the phone was more than helpful. She helped me with my issues and then explained some helpful tips. Top Notch!!!! and very professional!!!

Like you. I look at this as an investment. I plan to keep my ATP as long as possible or at least until I retire...5 more years. I will upgrade, but only when I can have the time to justify the time and $$$.

Bottom line....capable machine, great customer service, and user friendly.

The Garrett Co is top notch, the AtPro is a proven infield performer...I was attempting a bit of humor in my previous post, so forgive my sarcasm attempt..

My AtPro is a gold killer...Hits gold like a freaking train...chains even....let alone rings...just these chains represent over 5k found with the Pro...chains is where the money is at, and a lot of rigs simply cant see them...Get the Pro...

Attachments

• oct 6-16-3.jpg
    oct 6-16-3.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 222
  • sept 8 13-1.jpg
    sept 8 13-1.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 218
  • May 5 chain ring.jpg
    May 5 chain ring.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 215
The Garrett Co is top notch, the AtPro is a proven infield performer...I was attempting a bit of humor in my previous post, so forgive my sarcasm attempt..

My AtPro is a gold killer...Hits gold like a freaking train...chains even....let alone rings...just these chains represent over 5k found with the Pro...chains is where the money is at, and a lot of rigs simply cant see them...Get the Pro...

Mud that chain is a beaut! Nice find!!

Yes, absolutely a good brand. I've used a couple of models years ago. I remember the GTAX550. Well made. Found stuff just as expected. Not as complex as others but simplicity of use is quite nice. You won't go wring with a Garrett. HH.

I would just like to get as much input as possible to make an informed choice. Perhaps you enjoy buying things you later regret. But I plan on having this unit for years and would like to get recommendations from more than one person/website. I think I'm just gonna get the AT-MAX looks like it has all the features of both the gold and pro plus a backlight display

He's new to the forum Mudd. I don't believe he's accustomed to your writing style...........yet.

Mud was having a little fun and Maybe worried about the Competition when the AT Max starts finding all his gold.

I was able to meet the higher ups at Garrett last week at a convention. A couple of things I noticed. Besides business men they are treasure hunters just like the rest of us. We set an talked for almost an hour and it was like talking to a friend of mine I have hunted with forever. We each had our cell phones out sharing pics of finds. I bet there are not too many other high dollar company owners who get excited about an Indian head penny.... Which tells me since they are out in the field using their products they know the quirks and issues that can be addressed.

I can also tell you the first AT Pro I bought was used. I got it cheap because the coil was cracked. I planned to buy a new coil and be up and running. I called Garrett to see if it was OK to use the cracked coil with slight moisture (dew etc.) knowing not to submerge it. The guy on the phone new I bought it used and knew the cracked coil was from the previous owner dropping it between to large rocks. Garrett shipped me a coil no charge under warranty and I had it in 2 days. Before I even shipped the old one back. At the time the AT pro had only been out for about 2 years so he said every one of them was under warranty. Top notch customer service.

Had my ATPro for about 4 years now and still love it. As far as Garrett customer service, I broke my coil, chunks had fallen out of the bottom of it. Sent them an email, new one in route at no charge, broke the battery holder, another email and 2 replacement on my doorstep a few days later. Even managed to ram a thorn through the screen on it. Another email and parts with installation instructions on my doorstep again within a few days. What all this should tell you is is A. Never let me borrow your machine, and B. Garrett customer service is top notch.

Also look at resale value, and the availability of used machines on the market. AT machines sell quickly for decent prices. By way of contrast (and no offence intended) some others like Nokta and Macro don't seem to hold their value as well. I see Racers and Impacts on classified pages for weeks. Seen an ATMax for sale for more than a day or two?

Back
Top Bottom