Etrac vs VX3

daddyflea

A while back I realized I had two Etracs and I missed that great screen on the V3i. Now I sold the V3I because I spent more time adjusting than hunting. Really got tired of that. I sold one of my Etracs and bought a VX3. It did not take long to get back into the adjustments and I was glad the VX3 had less adjustments.

To start off I hunted in Coins mode and the ID was darned near flawless. I did notice that in Coins, Zincs would not hit so I added that VDI. It did not take long to realize that I was getting poor depth on Nickles. I emailed Whites and was told not to use Coins but use Coin & Jewelry. I got this reply from Whites.

Regarding the VX3.
The Coin mode is designed to be the most user friendly, thus, it is not typically as sensitive as the Coin & Jewelry settings. There are (behind the scenes) selections made differently between the different search modes. We do not believe there is an issue with your VX3. For experienced users, we do recommend the Coin & Jewelry mode over the Coin mode.

Sincerely
Steve Howard
White’s USA

I switched programs and saw a large difference. At least 4" deeper on Nickles in Coins & Jewelry.

I hunted an old House site at least three times and this place was loaded with Coins. I dug at least 50 on every trip. I found 8 Wheats and one Silver Dime. All with the VX3. The VX3 ID in Coins & Jewelry is uncanny good. My trash take dropped significantly. The Pinpoint on the VX3 is great and I used the 6X10 Coil. I felt like I was still not getting great depth. I found quite a few Nickles but all were Jeffersons. I finished the site using the VX3.

I went back today with my Etrac using my Favorite Sunray 8" Coil. I was really scared I would find a bunch of Coins that were just a little deep for the VX3. As it turns out, even though this place was loaded with Coins, I found none due to inadequate depth. I found a War Nickle that was not much more than 2". I remember this signal with the VX3 but did not dig it because it was a little high for a Nickle and I was tired. But after a couple years swinging the Etrac I knew this sounded good and the Etrac had this signal above a normal Nickle as well. It turned out to be a 1943 War Nickle. I also found another Wheat but it was not much deeper than 1" and close to some concrete. The Sunray 8" separates very good and gets great depth here using the Etrac.

In short an unofficial comparison finds them almost equal. I can argue for either Detector. I feel that I am a little more confident with the Etrac because I have been swinging it for a couple years. I find very little trash with the VX3 but for now I am comfortable with which ever Detector has charged batteries.

Oooohh boy, this might turn into a fanboy beat down here!

So I've got 3 years use of the V3i and 2 yeas on the Etrac, while I'm certainly not a expert on either, I'm also a novice with these machines. I have U13`s on both and feel my V will give a more reassuring signal on an 8inch silver than my Etrac will. Would I dig both.? Yes! But the Etrac is a bit scratchy and the V is a resounding yes. No I don't have seasoned iron in my test gardens so that might make a difference.

I will tell you you have to go through more programming steps to get the V to hit that deep thought!

I went from a V3i to the Etrac. Never looked back. Not that the Spectra was a bad detector, but the Minelab just suited me better. Picking out deep silver is child’s play with the Etrac. The V3i can hit those same deep coins but it requires more tweaking and still doesn’t give the rock solid “dig me” tone and ID of the Etrac IMHO. I feel like I could still pick up another V3i and do well with it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always wanted to try a v3i but whenever I do I re read all the negative threads on how hard it is to setup,site specific.I like to just hunt,not mess around for 20minutes trying to get the settings right..I still would and might get one this year,they seem cheap enough second handed that I probably wouldn’t lose much on it.That screen just puts everything else to shame,like a high definition television.

I never owned the ETRAC, but I have had the CTX and a V3i, for me I would choose the V3i with the 950 concentric coil over the CTX and it's stock 11inch coil. Woodbutcher with the V3i just put it in coin and jewelry mode and almost nothing else needs adjusted to make good depth finds. I had a slightly modified version of C&J that hit 8 inch plus coins regularly.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I always wanted to try a v3i but whenever I do I re read all the negative threads on how hard it is to setup,site specific.I like to just hunt,not mess around for 20minutes trying to get the settings right..I still would and might get one this year,they seem cheap enough second handed that I probably wouldn’t lose much on it.That screen just puts everything else to shame,like a high definition television.

It certainly can be a turn on and go machine. I choose to build the program based on what I want to hear and hunt that program. Now you may want to hear different programs at different sites, so those would be additional programs.

Since you can program the hot keys for certain things any adjustments you may want to try while in the field(Again if you want to) are at the tip of your finger.

Just like any other machine once your running it, really the only thing I mess with in the field is the RX gain and Disc sensitivity.

Question for you guys that have had both. Etrac is a very tempting detector for someone after old silver from everything out there to read. But it's reputation for not handling iron covered sites scares me,...is the v3i any better in the iron ??

Question for you guys that have had both. Etrac is a very tempting detector for someone after old silver from everything out there to read. But it's reputation for not handling iron covered sites scares me,...is the v3i any better in the iron ??

In my opinion No

I've actually found a lot of good targets mixed with iron behind the V3i with my Etrac. IMHO the Minelab does alright in iron as long as you keep your swing speed slow and don't over-do it with the FE DISC.

I've actually found a lot of good targets mixed with iron behind the V3i with my Etrac. IMHO the Minelab does alright in iron as long as you keep your swing speed slow and don't over-do it with the FE DISC.

After using both I am going to put a 4X6 Coil on the VX3 and use it to hunt real trashy spots while the Etrac will be used to get depth and cover more ground. VX3 has to be swung really slow.

Had

A V3i, two E-trac's, now 2 CTX3030s, i loved the Etrac over the V3i, the V3i had more tinker adjustments to play with, but the ID was not as accurate as the Etrac, new to the CTX3030s hoping this year will be better, will be land hunting , and beach hunting, with them, happy hunting , Earl

I went from a V3i to the Etrac. Never looked back. Not that the Spectra was a bad detector, but the Minelab just suited me better. Picking out deep silver is child’s play with the Etrac. The V3i can hit those same deep coins but it requires more tweaking and still doesn’t give the rock solid “dig me” tone and ID of the Etrac IMHO. I feel like I could still pick up another V3i and do well with it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good post! The E-Trac is a known "silver sucker". I have found more silver with it than any other. That silver tone will stop you dead in your tracks once you can recognize it!

Just picked up a used VX3 for a song, $545 shipped. I believe that it has the right amount of options versus the V3i I used to own. I will be getting out tomorrow with it to tinker since the weather is going to be nice.

I have owned both I sold Etrac

Both are AWESOME machines. The spectra machines are built like a tank. That screen is awesome. It can run deep and pull out good targets from trashy areas. It is little heavy.

The Etrac was sleek and simple to set up and run. I think is was better balanced. It would null out at few trashy hunts. My buddy hunting same location ( v3i) was sweeping normal and pulling out good targets. I had to SLOW it down to point I became frustrated, and pulled out my vx3.

Now on cleaner location I pulled out killer deep silver seated dime with the Etrac! But in the End I liked more of the VX3 than the Etrac. But your mileage may vary.

I did just get an AT MAX lol :shock::shock:

Back
Top Bottom