found on my Civil War permission property

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
ok, what is it.

it was found on property with a verified Union constructed Civil War wagon road along the side of a creek.

There is also a rail road near by. and there also was a Civil War era bridge site (only the stone embankment supports for the bridge survived) about 300 feet from where I found this heavy iron item.

So it could be part of a wagon, cannon, caisson?
Or railroad track part?
or a backing plate for heavy timber bolts?

It is about 1" thick and heavy about 15 - 20 lbs. hard to carry with one hand any distance over 20-50 feet.

I am clueless. Any ideas anyone?

Attachments

• heavysquareironpiecesmall.jpg
    heavysquareironpiecesmall.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 387
My first thought seeing it was a bolt plate like I'd see on the side of a wood bridge. I've been around a few rail road areas, it always seems like no matter how heavy the parts are stuff migrates a little ways from it over time.

One of my thoughts also. About 1/4 mile up the creek is a high RR trestle. I will go up their next time and see if they are using any of those.

Closer by 100 feet was the old Civil War bridge foundation. Don't really know if they used these type of plates on CW bridges.

I do know something about railroad construction. The workers leave a whole lot of unused iron laying around. What is it too heavy to pick up when construction is finished? not valuable?

Back
Top Bottom