Anybody use a GPS while detecting?

Bama Man

Forum Supporter
Just curious if anyone uses a GPS for marking their sites or for getting to possible sites by using the topo mapping capabilities of some GPS? If so which GPS do you use and what do you use it for? I have been thinking about getting another handheld one to use. Thanks for any replies !!! Rick

I was wondering why in this day and age there are no MDs with built in GPS to map where you have been and where you have left to cover.

No...

I have a GPS thingy but it's just another distraction. Heck, I hardly even use my mobile phone. But, I do like the topo. map idea.
Marty

I have used it. I have some spots marked for the spring that I need to get permission for. That way I remember. I also marked the coordinate using a scale on an old map to locate an old farm that no longer exists. It was very easy to get to it when I knew the exact location.

I have placed several GPS Caches in local parks. A GPS unit put you in the area and you had to use your detector to find the item. I may do one more before the ground freezes.

You Bet!! I have been overlaying maps and adding the Lat & Longs on the things that may be a productive spot. I record the #'s, put into GPS and then go fishing for the spot that I have a interest in. I have a Garmin, You don't need to get all the Bells a Whistles GPS. They have gone down in price a lot since I got mine.

Just knowing the general direction's of what you seek on a Aerial map really requires a lot of walking/guessing just where the heck the spot is.

When you get the Lat/Long into the GPS you have just narrowed the search to one specific spot. You can grid out from that spot looking for any clues to what you may be looking for.

Also, when in a wooded area you have to have a clear shot of the satellites hanging in the sky that are providing the #'s for your GPS. The signal will not go around tree's or any other obstruction.
I see these TV shows etc. that the guy has a GPS in the deep Jungle and getting his GPS signal. Bull! Not unless he has tethered a wire up past the canopy.
Depending on where you live your satellites may be on your horizon and can't be picked up due to No Signal. You have to have different satellites giving you help with your #'s.

I'm no Engineer! I'm sure someone will read this and nit pick my thoughts, I'm telling you how it what works in my Area and know my Garmin. ;)
Good Luck!!

Just curious if anyone uses a GPS for marking their sites or for getting to possible sites by using the topo mapping capabilities of some GPS? If so which GPS do you use and what do you use it for? I have been thinking about getting another handheld one to use. Thanks for any replies !!! Rick

Thanks for the replies guys !!! I have an old Etrex but I am looking for one that will be more usable for our hobby. I like the idea of getting one that can be used to make map overlays on google earth and such. I would like to be able to enter coordinates into the GPS and then overlay it onto a topo or google earth so that I can see the coordinates on it and be able to see the place before going. So far I am leaning toward a garmin oregon 450T but I have never done a map overlay, so I may be looking at more than I need. :lol:

I have a Droid phone as well but haven't used the GPS capabilities on it. Can you enter Coordinates into it and do pretty much the same thing I am wanting to do? I appreciate all of you replying to my thread, I want to learn how to do this correctly. It is neat to hear what everybody else uses and the different things the GPS is used for. Thanks again for the replies and HH.

Just used my GPS on Tuesday to get me to a site where a house used to be about a hundred years ago. I didn't find any foundation or anything else except for some farm impements but it is fun to use the GPS and having it indicate you are right about where the house used to be. Mine is accurate to within about 20 feet and in pedestrian mode it counts off the feet to the destination as I am walking and directs me to go this way or that way. Ok, I admit it, I am a gadget junkie. But I did find a 12 gram gold ring earlier this summer by using the GPS to get me to a particular spot in a thousand acre field. Mostly pure luck but I wouldn't have been in that area had it not been for my GPS and using map overlays. At times I have GPS'ed myself really deep into the woods. I feel like Lewis and Clark with a magical compass.

I forgot to add that I love your idea of a built in GPS on metal detectors. GPS units are really cheap these days. It probably wouldn't add much to the price and it would definitely be a selling point for me with everything else being equal to an Etrac or F75. I hope the detector manufacturers are reading these forums.

I forgot to add that I love your idea of a built in GPS on metal detectors. GPS units are really cheap these days. It probably wouldn't add much to the price and it would definitely be a selling point for me with everything else being equal to an Etrac or F75. I hope the detector manufacturers are reading these forums.

There is a camera (forget the make), which gives you the option of logging
the location the picture was taken. Could be handy, if you take pictures of
your finds.

A built in GPS is a bad Idea !!!
At some point if your detector is sent in for Service the manufacture would have axcess to all your hot spots you have been to.

Speaking of these, can anyone recommend a handheld gps that's affordable and accurate/fast as far as real time location reading. Something I can just plug long/lat in and get to within 10-20 feet. Please pm me

I use a Garmin Etrex and love it. For the mapping portion, it is Google Earth. I do a lot of research before I get into the field. I use it to locate sites. I also use it to mark sites. I like the simplicity of the etrex.

Doug

Back
Top Bottom