Modify Centech pinpointer with circuit change

wingryder

I like my 18.00 Harbor Freight Pinpointer so I bought a second one. I am sure the Garrett is better but 127.00 better? So with that said. I am looking for a electronic smart guy to see what could be done with the simple circuit of the Centech to increase its range. I know about the ring or coin trick but I want a better solution. Not afraid to buy parts and modify and if it takes a couple of failures.. well they are dirt cheap.

Come on you retired electronics sharpies... put that brain back in gear for a day or so.:?:

thanks

Wingryder

. I am sure the Garrett is better but 127.00 better? Wingryder

Yes it is and the Pistol Probe is also
Just like the high end detectors
theres not that much more money involved in building them at the plant
but you wont get the same performance out of the lower end stuff
as you will for the higher $$$$ stuff
not even close
is the high end stuff overpriced ?
yes without a doubt !!

i adjusted the sensitivity pot on mine and gained an inch or two, open the unit and there is a screw on the pot(my screwdriver is pointing to it) that can be turned. only about a 1/4 turn is needed, also make sure the external sensitivity knob isn't turned all the way up or you won't be able to stop the unit from goin off.
i also dissconnected the speaker and did the micro vibrating motor mod to mine while i was messin with it and also replaced the power button with a better sealed button.

Attachments

• Picture 019.jpg
    Picture 019.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 4,437
If your pinpointer is so sensitive that it goes off as soon as it enters the hole, what good is it?Remember, the idea of a pinpointer is to do just that...pinpoint:yes:An inch or so is plenty of range ,otherwise just use your MD to scan the hole and the plug like you did before the pinpointers came along.I have both a Centech and a Teknetics/Bounty Hunter pinpointer and they do exactly what they were designed to do; keep me from getting up and using the MD as a pinpointer:lol:I wouldn't hunt without one now.

Not a "which is best " thread

Hold on guys.
I just want to modify a Centech to make it reach further.
My style of hunting grass makes this desirable.
So again.. IF you are electronics smart or know someone that is.. show them this circuit and lets come up with a way to make this little baby work
even better.

I should have left out the 127.00 comment. That is what pulled this away from topic.

wingryder

I get what you're saying about the grass. Many times I find I have a surface target and the grass ends up being really thick. My centech sometimes has a hard time finding those unless I start spreading the grass around. Crabgrass is the toughest.

Hold on guys.
I just want to modify a Centech to make it reach further.
My style of hunting grass makes this desirable.
So again.. IF you are electronics smart or know someone that is.. show them this circuit and lets come up with a way to make this little baby work
even better.

I should have left out the 127.00 comment. That is what pulled this away from topic.

wingryder

Again, like I said before , an inch or so is plenty of sensitivity for a pinpointer. I did the blue box adjustment and my Centech is good for a little over an inch of detection. What are you trying to accomplish:?:
Step 1. Metal Detector to find a target
Step 2. Pinpointer to help in retrieval of target.

I think an inch or so detection from a pinpointer that costs very little is excellent:yes:

Have to agree, Usually have the target narrowed down to a 4 inch hole. An inch or two is about right. After I find a target, I re-check the hole, plug, and any dirt I removed with the detector, just to make sure, before refilling the hole. Never know, and easier than re-digging the hole later...

I'm sure the ProPointer is a fine piece of equipment, maybe I'll get a chance to play with one sometime. The price and what it does, doesn't work for me right now. The cheap one works well enough, that I can't see $127 worth of improvement. I find the target, with minimal effort, pretty much where my detector told me to dig. The soil is sandy here, and don't always need the pinpointer, the target is already exposed from digging. I can see getting a different detector, before going for a ProPointer. May be in the type of soil people hunt in, mine has to be the easiest. Kind of been thinking about a scoop or sifter, it's little different than beach sand.

i adjusted the sensitivity pot on mine and gained an inch or two, open the unit and there is a screw on the pot(my screwdriver is pointing to it) that can be turned. only about a 1/4 turn is needed, also make sure the external sensitivity knob isn't turned all the way up or you won't be able to stop the unit from goin off.
i also dissconnected the speaker and did the micro vibrating motor mod to mine while i was messin with it and also replaced the power button with a better sealed button.

THANK YOU!!!! :D Mine came way too sensitive, it would beep without anything around at the lowest setting, now it has been adjusted. Thank you for the info!

-nelbmahs

Check out some of the videos on YouTube. Theres a bunch of stuff you can do to them. I have a pro pointer and I love it. Its really worth the money. But I plan on buying a centech pin pointer and modifying it to make it waterproof and for someone to use when there using my spare detector.

I saw a YouTube video guy bought a cheap plastic makeup bag and melted a hole thru it with a soldering iron then put the shaft of the Cen-Tech thru the hole and zipped the bag up. Looked like a great idea and I plan to try it out.

I used a cen-tec pinpointer for about the first yr. Went through two of them, did all the MODS. (Which is fun in its self) Also thought it was great pinpointer! Until I was finally fortunate to get the PROPOINTER! Took them both out hunting, PP'er shootout if you will. :yes: The Garrett was: (SO MUCH BETTER, YOU REALLY JUST HAVE TO TAKE THE CHANCE! I'll never go with a low budget pp again. I kept the HARBOR FRIGHT one as a back up/loner cause it's better than NOTHING!

Back
Top Bottom