What do you use to dig up your finds?

Badgertown

I'm really new to MD'ing and I just use a small garden shovel (not sure if anyone else uses something different?) but I've been doing some backyard hunting and I feel like I've been digging my holes too big. I try to be as neat as possible when digging but after I pull the item out I almost always leave a patch of dirt behind me.

Just wondering if I should use anything specific before I go out hunting in public areas because I don't want to leave multiple dirt patches in those kind of areas.

Thanks and HH :digginahole:

I started out with a Garrett digging tool but punched out the handle end and just recently bought a Lesche and let me tell you it digs so much easier than the Garrett. Cuts great plugs that are super easy to replace.
One bit of advise take a old hand towel or shop rag with you and after you cut out the plug put all the dirt you dig out on the towel and then dump it all back in and the replace the plug and tamp it all down. Nice clean and easy.

Chris W.

One bit of advise take a old hand towel or shop rag with you and after you cut out the plug put all the dirt you dig out on the towel and then dump it all back in and the replace the plug and tamp it all down. Nice clean and easy.

Chris W.

great post! :yes:

and i use a stainless hori-hori for digging. cuts a nice clean plug and easily saws through small roots when need be.

and i use a stainless hori-hori for digging. cuts a nice clean plug and easily saws through small roots when need be.
Good post indeed but even better is not to completely remove the plug, just cut 3 sides and fold the plug over, remove your target and fold the plug back over where it was. This way it keeps the grass from dying.

I've used the both the lesche & gator diggers. But found that they make mothers alittle uneasy in the parks. I always end up with the Fiskars anyway!
Great tool for 10.00 but it's not a pry bar. I also sharpened the teeth, cuts a great plug and it's light to carry.

I use an old hand towel, as well. It keeps the area clean and shows that you care. Sometimes, the dirt doesn't all fit back into the hole to make the plug fit. The towel makes a good transport to get rid of excess dirt.

You have much cleaner digs if you use a drop cloth. I cut one from an old pair of jeans.

Once you pinpoint a target, cut a "U" shaped flap around it and lift the sod back back. Everything else that comes out of the hole goes onto the cloth. Once you recover the target, you dump all the loose dirt back in then fold the flap back over the dirt and stomp it all down flat. If you had to dig a deep hole then you may need to pack some of the dirt down before covering with the sod flap.

+1 for the stainless Hori Hori- best digger out there for neat holes-- hands down. I have the Predator Raptor and Little Eagle and a folding Ames Entrenching tool that I use in places where neatness and perception are not as critical. Had a Lesche and sold it (didn't like at all) it sucks at bringing loose dirt out of the hole and the offset blade and exaggerated hand guard make it awkward as heck to try to hold loose dirt onto the blade with your hand to bring it out of the hole. It's a very well made tool but very poorly designed IMO. Can't say enough good about the stainless Hori Hori. I'd still buy it if it was $100 and a Lesche was half that.

I use depending on the area.. a small dirt shovel... a military shovel or a small hand shovel....

As for digging techniques with a small dirt shovel i cut about 1 inch down on 3 sides than under the 3 slides to make a flap of grass so to speak then i can dig my hole if the target is deep.

Back
Top Bottom