11" DD vs 18"X15" SEF (Butterfly) Coil for Etrac

cibean

HI,
I am pretty much a newbie to detecting and got myself a E-Trac.. Just a basic question.. From what i read on this forum, the bigger the coil, better the target identification and better depth.

My question is, if bigger is better (forget about the weight), then why go for 11" standard coil or let's say 8" or 6" coils?

Will appreciate any input here

From what I've read that huge SEF coil is very, very heavy and it won't find smaller objects. So even though it'll may find a dollar from 15" it'll miss a quarter at 4".

It feels to me that the 'standard' coil is the one you can swing for several hours. Then use other coils if situation needs it..smaller for trashy areas..larger to find those deep targets or to cover large areas fast..like open fields.

Voriax

I bought the 15" inch blue max coil when I had my Whites XLT, I could hunt a good 5 hours with the stock coil, but that big thing wore me out in 30 minutes & it was extremely hard to pinpoint with..I did find a Indian head at around 5 inches, but it took me 10 minutes to pinpoint it..Never used the big coil again after that. Also I couldn't imagine the looks you'd get walking around a local park with a coil that size..

Last edited:
ok so anyone who has had an experience with a 18"X15" coil with etrac, what do you suggest? SHould i cancel my order for the big coil and rather go for 15X12 instead?

I purchased my detector with the 11" pro coil and the 15X18" SEF. Buy a Swingy Thingy to go with it. To put things in perspective, until a recent injury, I benched 430 pounds, so I'm not what you would call frail. The SEF wore me out quickly. So get the Swingy Thingy. On the plus side, the coil is so big, you can cover most of Texas in about three passes. I've only briefly tested it but it found a quarter at 12". Pinpointing was surprisingly accurate. I have Thursday and Friday set aside for detecting. I'll offer more feedback then.

Back
Top Bottom