Hello Susie B....been awhile.

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
I ran across a very small, tight, solid quarter signal with the Nox and sniper coil today.
Opened a small plug and when I flipped it over this coin flew out.
Can't say for sure but I think it was probably straight up on edge hiding in an area I have hunted before but missed.
I thought I had a quarter and it was super, crusty dirty but when I cleaned it off I saw Miss Susan instead of George.
In my career I have been lucky enough to find a Peace dollar, two Eisenhower dollars, a couple of presidential dollars and several Sacagawea dollars but like the presidential ones not many of these at all.
I looked back over all my posts and I mentioned I had found my second one way back in December 2012...but I can't recall digging up another one since that till now.
Not sure where those dollars are now, I might still have them or I might have spent them.

Interesting history on this coin, the mint was sure they had a winner when they discontinued the Ike dollar for this one and minted over 759 million in 1979 but everyone hated them because they were about the size and exact color of quarters.
The mint had to sit on hundreds of millions of them because destroying them wasn't an option and it took almost 20 years for them to get used up.
The vending industry loved them and spent 100 million retrofitting their machines take them, the transportation industry embraced them for their turnstiles, eventually, and lots got used up when post office stamp machines were installed in the early 90's that were designed to take them.
Eventually they were depleted and the mint actually had to make some more in 1999 because the new Sacagawea dollar was not released yet to take its place.

I like it, I am going to scrub it clean so it looks like the color it was meant to be and just keep it around...maybe carry it in my pocket as my lucky coin.
I like it better than the gold dollar coins they make now for sure.

Attachments

• Susie B.jpg
    Susie B.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 194
Interesting info on the Susan B. coin. I've only found just one also. But I've found 4 Sacajawea's and three presidential dollar coins. Never found and Eisenhower or any silver dollars.

Interesting info on the Susan B. coin. I've only found just one also. But I've found 4 Sacajawea's and three presidential dollar coins. Never found and Eisenhower or any silver dollars.

Nice find Digger!

I’ve never found a SBA dollar yet. 1 Ike and 13 Presidential/Sacs all I’ve found so far

Thanks, and thanks!
The one thing about this coin is because of the nickel in it these things come up out of the ground really dirty just like regular nickels.
It took a ton of scrubbing with a green scrubby just to see the silvery color.
I forgot these things were not the gold color so I was a bit surprised but pleasantly so.

I have always liked the Susan B's, much more than the Gold Dollars that followed her mintage. Not a common dig at all. I compare these coins to the Ike Dollar's as to there scarceness. congrats Dave on a very fine recovery. Trapper

Not a common find because no one ever carried them around in their pocket! I've found two in over 5 years of metal detecting. Never found an Ike or silver dollar, but I have found a couple of Sacagawea dollars and one presidential dollar.

Back
Top Bottom