Best weekend of detecting EVER! 1861 Double Eagle and lots of BIG silver!

Your story is what keeps us all in the hobby!!:wow::shock::shock::yes: We all dream of making a find like that! Congratz my man!!

Yup I gotta agree with Ron.......thats the dream that keeps me going. Amazing finds. Great job and hope it keeps going like that for you.

:workforgold:Holy Moly!!!! This is the most amazing thing I have ever seen. Holy Grail for metal detectorists. I have dreams that I find something like this but to think there are actually items like this still in the ground blows my mind!!
Huge Congrats

Thanks to everyone for all the comments and congrats! ^^ Time for a new avatar. :grin:

Middle of nowhere or near an old town or battle?
Pretty much the middle of nowhere as far as I can tell. No old houses around at all. I did find some square nails though, so something used to be there.

Any clue why these coins are where they are?
Wow man that is amazing! Do you think is was an old cache that maybe your grandfather hit with the tractor all those years ago?
The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that it was a small cache. I don't think that many high denomination coins were just dropped or lost individually. All I can figure is that maybe someone burried them there before the depression and the bulldozer hit whatever container they were in and spread them out.

Congratulations! Your days as a metal detectorist are now behind you! Continuing pursuit of this "silly hobby" will surely only lead to disappointment now that you have found what everyone is hoping for! Charge people 5 dollars to hold it and enjoy an early retirement!

Hehe.. You know, the night after finding the gold coin, it did cross my mind that I would most likely never top that find in my lifetime, and anything less just won't excite me like it used to. I almost felt sad for a minute.... almost. :D Then I realized how much I enjoy this hobby even when I don't find anything. Its just the thought of finding something nice that keeps me going. Besides, its always possible that I can find more of 'em.

:shock::jester::lalalala":cheer::crybaby: (that's me short circuiting) Why no pic of the gold coin in the dirt? :(

The second day it was really wet and muddy, so I didn't bother with any pics. But had I known that I was about to pull a gold coin out of the dirt, I definitely would have got a pic. By the time I realized what I had found, I was so excited that it didn't even cross my mind.

You're in shock, I'm in shock, the whole world is in shock after reading your post and viewing your finds. I'd take your grandfather's tractor and clear out a bigger area of brush, and continue detecting until I was satisfied I recovered everything I possible could find.

What year is the SLQ? You didn't mention finding that coin.

Major congrats on finding some amazing coins, especially your Double Eagle! :shock: Submit your story to Whites and Western/Eastern treasures. I think you will take top honors for 2012. Going to be really hard to top that!

Raphis

Unfortunately the dozer wasn't his. I think he just borrowed it or rented it for a little while. But I'm definitely searching all of the surrounding area. I'm starting at the hotspot and working my way outward. Thats actually where I've been for the past two days. :lol:

The SLQ is so worn that its hard to see the date. It looks like it might be 1877 but I can't say for sure. One of the seated dimes has some crud covering half of the date, but looks to be in really good condition. I just need to figure out how to clean it properly without doing any damage.

And you know there's probably a few more still hiding out there! I wish they could tell the tale of how they came to be there!!

One can only hope, and me too!

Thanks again for all the comments. :cheers:

Wow, that's quite amazing. I wouldn't be able to sleep for a week if I found that gold coin. How deep was the gold coin BTW? Congrats.

Get that Double Eagle appraised by an expert dealer. What I can find is your date is one of the more scarce dates.

I'd be peeing my pants for days, if that's not THE find of the next 10 years, I don't know what would be. CONGRATS!! :excited:

Thanks again guys.

25 acres is a large area to search... since no one has asked yet... Need any help!!?!?! :yes:;)
Hehe.. I actually have a list a mile long of my family, friends and co-workers begging me to use my spare detector and take them along. I'm taking my brother-in-law this weekend. I told him that he can keep whatever silver he finds, but if he finds any gold coins he has to split them with me! :laughing:

How deep was the gold coin BTW? Congrats.

The Spectra said 11" but after digging the hole it seemed a little deeper than that. I'd say at least 12 to 13". It was kind of strange, because some coins were right on top of the ground and others were deep.

Get that Double Eagle appraised by an expert dealer. What I can find is your date is one of the more scarce dates.

I glanced through my coin book and also looked at a few websites.. I don't know how to grade a coin, but using the online guides its appears to be in excellent condition. I do need to take it and have it professionally graded.

The Spectra said 11" but after digging the hole it seemed a little deeper than that. I'd say at least 12 to 13". It was kind of strange, because some coins were right on top of the ground and others were deep.

I would definately say that the bulldozer disturbed a small cache and spread these coins around. Burrying some deeper than others.

You know.... I'd bet there are more around there. Even for pre-depression / depression era...the amount of coins you found don't add up to a whole lot...certainly not enough to take the time to bury....

Keep looking and keep updating us.

Exciting!!

Cheers,

<D>

I have no words. I'm utterly speechless reading this post. The Best MD coin finds I have ever ever seen posted on here. I have nothing else to say but WOW

WOW. CONGRATS. I usually ignore those headline articles, but that is truly a very good story of some great finds!... Fantastic details...Thanks for sharing! holy Smoke! WOW.
:clapping::clapping::clapping:

How big was the radius the coins were found in?

I've looked back at the pics a buch of times...congrats again!

Back
Top Bottom