Few unexpected finds in my own yard

ibenick

My house was built in 1920 so I figured there's bound to be something. Aside from some random relics from previous owners, I found a few wheat pennys and these:

20200531_151955.jpg
20200531_152102.jpg

Extremely happy and surprised. Any thoughts on how it the 1917 became so worn?

Some great looking coins! Congrats!

That 1917 is pretty worn. I suppose the only explanation would be if it were lost after a few decades in circulation.

Very nice congrats! Any of my own yards through the years have turned up maybe a wheat cent at best.

To me the 1917 just looks worn from years of circulation. Judging by the date of the other Merc, about 20 years worth.

I will say the house next to me was built in 1875 and probably owned the property at some point. Might explain it somewhat.

Nice coins! Amazing seated!

Did does Mexico have a coin shop in the center of town? Near the tracks and silos?

I am trying to remember... I took backroads once from Chicago to Warsaw and stopped in a few towns to detect. Thought it was fun to stop in Pittsburgh, IL, Louisiana, Mo and Mexico, Mo.

One of the little towns had a coin shop that sold me a 3 cent nickel and told me it was silver. I didn't know better back then but I think I only paid him $20.

My house was built in 2007, and i have an acre of woods. About 2 months ago i was wandering around randomly and started to find a few colonial buttons. Started going slower and ended up with 2 no date colonial coppers. A month passes with no new finds until i get a screaming hit. Turned out to be an 1926s commemorative half dollar. Then i started finding clad left and right nothing older than 1965. There was some evidence of fire damage. For the next 3 days i was still finding some clad in a 3 by 3 foot area that i dubbed the money pit. There was no evidence of any foundations an very few stonewalls. I have no idea how this stuff ended up there.Ya gotta like new England for detecting.

I have to admit I'm a bit envious. My house, or at least the foundation a tad north of my garage, shows up on an 1889 plat map. I have not found anything older than the 1970's around here. I even have a wagon trail going thru my pasture that shows up on the 1849 land survey. Still, nothing. Must have been a hard knock life back then...

The rest has been a few clad and a handful of wheat pennies. Along with some other random items and trash. Believe me, I have been going over the whole property over and over hoping for another silver.

My house was built in 1920 so I figured there's bound to be something. Aside from some random relics from previous owners, I found a few wheat pennys and these:

High pocket mileage.

View attachment 467885
View attachment 467886

Nice finds!

Coins get worn from handling, circulation.....

Don't think too deeply about it.....

Lots of silver and some wheat cents in your own yard... that's exciting! It appears that you have a great location right at your fingertips! :grin:

Back
Top Bottom