Salt water beach newbee

History Junkie

Old HJ and the family are headed out for our yearly visit to the Jersey shore, my first one as a detecting hobbyist. Junior and I have polished our machines, done alot of discussing bought our feed scoops and drilled our holes.

My question is can I expect different dynamics from the ocean sand than I experience at home? Will I penetrate deeper, or will the salt complicate things? Maybe there is no difference at all.

I need any advice regarding any aspect of beach hunting that I can get before the weekend.

Thanks all,
HJ

My limited experience has taught me that on my other detector, an old BH 505, whenever I got anywhere near wet sand it would reek havoc and I would have to lower my sensitivity. Not so much on the dry sand though. I haven't taken my detector to the beach but most people in the forum will tell you the same about the wet vs. dry sand difference.

Ok HJ... The Ace 250 does not like wet sand . Its not a machine for wet sand. You're better off doing dry stuff and hit volley ball courts if they are on the beach. For finding jewelry with a land detector in the wet sand is asking a lot of unless you are talking about a detector like a DFX or ExplorerII your detector just doesn't have the depth to find the deep stuff. When I detect most of my finds are well over a foot down. Another thing going against you in NJ is the high iron content in the sand add to that salt deposits.

My opinion stick to the dry with your Ace.

I'm sorry I just naturally assumed that you would know that beach sand , next to an ocean, would be "salty".  The water facillitates the salt, a mineral, in spreading false signals.  Lightening, i.e. electricity, is by far more conducive in salt than in fresh water.  That's just basic chemistry!  :yes:

You need to stay in the DRY and be prepared to dig alot of garbage if looking for gold. People just don't know what a trash can is anymore ;)

History Junkie,
Which of the New Jersey beach communities are you visiting?
Some of them have different "layouts" as to getting onto the beach.

If there is a boardwalk, hunt under it.

I have hunted both the dry and the wet sand in N.J. for several years when on my annual vacation in September.
I have found mostly clad on the dry sand.
I have found some but not valuable jewelry in the wet sand.

The most productive places were areas of the beach or just off the beach where people congregated (snack stands,etc), or foot traffic was "funneled", such as beach access walkways. Be careful as there are fines up to $500 for setting foot on the dunes in some beach communities, depending on how anal the local aristocracy has become.

WThesing,

I have rented a house in Cape May for a week. If you have ever been there you probably know that the "funneling" of people by the Beach Tag Police makes those areas of significant interest. I'm just looking for some R&R, not taking it too seriously. Maybe I'll concentrate there and above the high tide mark.

I have been in Cape May many times, but not as a detectorist. I had to conduct training and seminars at the Coast Guard Base. A lot has changed there since then, so I can't be of much help. Enjoy the R & R !!!!

Back
Top Bottom