Stealth scoops

Aquanoggin

Looking for first hand experience on the 720 and the new 920. I have my mind made up on this brand and have looked through this site and several videos. Love them both but am concerned about the size and weight of the 920. I don't want to be dragging an anchor around all day. Im 37 and in good physical shape but i also know that humping extra weight all day can wear on you. I know the 920 is relatively new but would love some input from any members who use one. I also like the hybrid option with the small vertical slits in the lower basket for earrings and small targets. Would you recommend this feature? I will be mostly wadding in the surf and occasionally digging pull tabs on the beach haha.Thanks all!

Quality Build

with a lifetime warranty is hard to beat, the Stealth's are the Top gun of scoop's, as far as weight is concerned, I can hold, dig all day, and weight is NO concern, with a right ripped bicep, also remember this, the lighter the weight = less Quality, having 6 scoops & had over 8, I found out this, unless it is titanium, in which you will pay over 4 times the price of a regular scoop, Chuck has invented the King of scoop's this time around, the 920ix, mine is ordered :yes: , that means I get mine before you :yes::D, mass production starts next month, wait in line bro, happy hunting, Earl PS if you have sugarsand you need a scoop like this, like I have for sale un-used, good luck.

Attachments

• 20111005_1.JPG
    20111005_1.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 743
Or get a grab handle

That's how I carry mine, installed low down by the head ;) The handle sits in the front of my shoulder blade, holding the grab like a motorcycle grip, target, drop, plant, dig, easy enough, enjoy, both the 720i, and 920ix , Sugarsand, or ,classic, great scoops, happy hunting , Earl PS these scoops are modified 90 degree scoops with a bolt on 3/8 aluminum larger foot pad added !!! , and have a 20 degree angle, -only with the hybrid handles, which have the bend on the handle, otherwise with the stock wood strait handle , they are 90 degrees, Earl

Attachments

• scoop foot pad mod 001.JPG
    scoop foot pad mod 001.JPG
    155.2 KB · Views: 461
  • Sunspot foot plate MOD 001.JPG
    Sunspot foot plate MOD 001.JPG
    154.7 KB · Views: 455
Last edited:
I have the 720i and it's a great scoop! I will tell you that it's a beast though. When you are pulling full scoops of heavy wet sand it's going to be a workout. It's all a tradeoff, big buckets can be faster recoveries (very important in surf) but much heavier.

I love my 720!!

It has a little bit of weight to it, but that is because it is so well built.

I am a sheet metal worker for a living and I can fabricate most anything that I want to. But I decided to buy a Stealth after seeing a friends because it was very impressive in terms of how it was made. I could justify the cost by looking at the craftsmanship of the product.

It only gets really heavy when you dig it into the ground and fill it up completely with sand and try to shake it. I only fill it up about half way and it is not bad at all.

And once you find some gold it aint heavy at all!!!:laughing:

As Jason mentioned I wouldn't be so concerned with the weight of the empty 920 as I would with the weight of a full one. That's one heck of a bucket of sand! :wow:

As Jason mentioned I wouldn't be so concerned with the weight of the empty 920 as I would with the weight of a full one. That's one heck of a bucket of sand! :wow:

If you have a full scoop of sand by the time the scoop is more than 4 to 6 inches off the bottom (IN the water) then you're doing something wrong.

When I hunt IN the water, I shove the scoop in as far as I can and rock back (that's the beauty of the 720) to set the scooped sand in the scoop as I lift. The handle comes straight up and down and I can lift straight up WITH MY KNEES and not my back. As I come out of the hole I swing to the side and start a gentle up and down motion to start draining sand out of the scoop. The water and gravity do all the work. By the time I have the scoop coming up with my arm, all I have is water and target in the scoop.

In the dry sand, I only take about HALF of a scoop full of sand at a time, but there's no rush in the dry because your hole isn't going to fill back in on you like out in the water. A lot of hunters seem to think that you HAVE to fill the scoop all the way up in the dry sand. Also, with the 720 you can use your legs to lift. Just set you scoop, grab low on the handle while in a small squat and then lift with your legs. It's a lot less awkward than it sounds.

I'm the same age and owned several RTG and Stealth scoops, as well as had an opportunity to test out the popular Stavr (Russian-style) scoops. Weight was marginally different and found the beach (type/location) is what determines which scoop is better. Sugar sand is ideal for small holes, but most beaches have tons of shells, coquina, or rocks.....which often diminish the scoops ability to sift out the sand.

Yes, you may come across an ear ring but the 500 scoops you dig, cussing and swearing over before you find that earing, will probably make you wish you had larger holes. I suppose a temp solution is if you are in sugar sand, you can rig a piece of wire mesh inside your scoop for the one-time hunt. Just my $0.02 :D

on the dry sand only hunts, I use an RTG,,,,for water hunting, I love my 720i,,,,,,I don't like the smaller holes on the newer ones,,,,,,a tiny target that keeps going through is easily known if it is possible tiny gold to chase,,,,,,the larger holes drain the sand faster,,,,,,weight is no issue cause I am dragging it in the water,,,,,in the water it is buoyant,,,,,,lifetime warranty, Chuck is a great guy to deal with and stands behind his word,,,,nuff said,,,,,GL HH

for a handle on my stealth, I use a yellow fiberglass handle from tractor supply, cost is 15 bucks,,,they come on a hoe,,,,has a nice grip at the top,,,,I cut the hoe part off at 54", glue a full length 1" dowel inside,,,,been using it for over two years now and still has not broke,,,,GL HH

Thanks for all the great info guys!! So y'all would not recommend the hybrid vertical slits as an option? What about the toe grip/ strut on the rear he offers?

If you have a full scoop of sand by the time the scoop is more than 4 to 6 inches off the bottom (IN the water) then you're doing something wrong.

When I hunt IN the water, I shove the scoop in as far as I can and rock back (that's the beauty of the 720) to set the scooped sand in the scoop as I lift. The handle comes straight up and down and I can lift straight up WITH MY KNEES and not my back. As I come out of the hole I swing to the side and start a gentle up and down motion to start draining sand out of the scoop. The water and gravity do all the work. By the time I have the scoop coming up with my arm, all I have is water and target in the scoop.

In the dry sand, I only take about HALF of a scoop full of sand at a time, but there's no rush in the dry because your hole isn't going to fill back in on you like out in the water. A lot of hunters seem to think that you HAVE to fill the scoop all the way up in the dry sand. Also, with the 720 you can use your legs to lift. Just set you scoop, grab low on the handle while in a small squat and then lift with your legs. It's a lot less awkward than it sounds.

If you had the chance, would you upgrade to the 920 or would you go back with your 720? You hunt in basically the same beach/surf conditions as I will and you have been a GREAT help to me since I joined. Thanks!! HH

Also for Roby, Please read my post above the last and give me your opinion on the hybrid option and the toe kick/rear strut brace on his site. Thanks!

Weight of scoops

Looking for first hand experience on the 720 and the new 920. I have my mind made up on this brand and have looked through this site and several videos. Love them both but am concerned about the size and weight of the 920. I don't want to be dragging an anchor around all day. Im 37 and in good physical shape but i also know that humping extra weight all day can wear on you. I know the 920 is relatively new but would love some input from any members who use one. I also like the hybrid option with the small vertical slits in the lower basket for earrings and small targets. Would you recommend this feature? I will be mostly wadding in the surf and occasionally digging pull tabs on the beach haha.Thanks all!

Hello Aqua,

We have worked hard to keep the Stealths strong and light weight.
The weights without a handle:

720i 2.85 pounds
920iX 2.9 pounds

:D

I usually recommend the 720i for those in the hobby for under a year.

Thanks for considering a Stealth.

Chuck

with a lifetime warranty is hard to beat, the Stealth's are the Top gun of scoop's, as far as weight is concerned, I can hold, dig all day, and weight is NO concern, with a right ripped bicep, also remember this, the lighter the weight = less Quality, having 6 scoops & had over 8, I found out this, unless it is titanium, in which you will pay over 4 times the price of a regular scoop, Chuck has invented the King of scoop's this time around, the 920ix, mine is ordered :yes: , that means I get mine before you :yes::D, mass production starts next month, wait in line bro, happy hunting, Earl PS if you have sugarsand you need a scoop like this, like I have for sale un-used, good luck.

Details PLEASE. PM if you want to or post here to help your sell. I would like first shot though lol. Thanks a ton!

That's how I carry mine, installed low down by the head ;) The handle sits in the front of my shoulder blade, holding the grab like a motorcycle grip, target, drop, plant, dig, easy enough, enjoy, both the 720i, and 920ix , Sugarsand, or ,classic, great scoops, happy hunting , Earl

What exactly are the plates for? Extra leverage or a type of shoulder rest? Nice setups! Thanks

Back
Top Bottom