Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Advice on Detector Purchase

Old 02-14-2017, 11:58 PM

Default XP Deus?

I'm looking to buy an XP Deus because it is very light weight. I have a couple of questions though.

Here are the options I see...

Coils: 9" or 11"
Headphones: WS4 or WS5
Display: WS4 or LCD Remote (I will probably get this one)

but then on another website I see stuff like

"Fully Telescopic S Handle Stem
XP Deus Waterproofing Kit
Wireless Remote Control Display Screen
Hip mount case for Wireless Remote Control Display Screen
USB Connection Cable With One Mini-B Plug
USB Connection Cable With Three Mini-B Plugs
110 Volt Power Supply Transformer - Charger
Connection Clamp For Recharging The Coil
Complete Coil Hardware & Spare Parts (2 Screws, 2 Wing Nuts, 1 Washer, 1 Spacing Washer)

QUESTIONS
1. For someone who already has an Etrac (stock coil), would you recommend the 9 inch coil on the XP Deus?

2. Has anyone used both the WS4 and WS5 headphones? What do you prefer? I assume the FX-02 headphones aren't very good.

3. I see some dealers are selling two poles. Why would you need TWO telescopic poles?

4. Version 4.0 is supposed to come out in March. Should I wait till then to buy it? or do these software updates work perfectly with older models? I am not used to detectors with software updates.

Thank you.

Last edited by Sinowzoa; 02-15-2017 at 02:02 AM.

Old 02-15-2017, 08:40 AM
Elite Member

I have the 11" and 9" but use the 9" most of the time, in testing I didn't see much difference in depth between the two , 11" covers a little more ground but to me the 9" performs better and is easier to navigate.

I prefer the WS4's to the 5's - I guess it's a preference thing...with the WS5's you're stuck with them if you don't like them, with the WS4's if you don't like them you can remove the puck and use aftermarket full size headphones such as Gray Ghost or Vance.

I have 2 lower rods ..just to make it easier if I want to swap coils..which I rarely do. Having two full rod assemblies, two coils and one pair of wireless phones and one remote you could technically have two Deus machines.

The software update will work on older models.

I have the WS4's and the remote. Having the remote gives you access to settings you will be unable to access if you only have the WS4/WS5 headphones.

Past Detectors: Vaquero/AT Pro/AT Gold/Quattro/F70/X-Terra 30/Delta 4000/Freedom 3 CDC/T2 LTD2/1265-X/1225-X/1212-X/1210-X/Amphibian/Gold Bug/MX Sport/Makro Racer/F75 LTD2

Old 02-15-2017, 03:55 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Dsm_mechva View post
I have the 11" and 9" but use the 9" most of the time, in testing I didn't see much difference in depth between the two , 11" covers a little more ground but to me the 9" performs better and is easier to navigate.

I prefer the WS4's to the 5's - I guess it's a preference thing...with the WS5's you're stuck with them if you don't like them, with the WS4's if you don't like them you can remove the puck and use aftermarket full size headphones such as Gray Ghost or Vance.

I have 2 lower rods ..just to make it easier if I want to swap coils..which I rarely do. Having two full rod assemblies, two coils and one pair of wireless phones and one remote you could technically have two Deus machines.

The software update will work on older models.

I have the WS4's and the remote. Having the remote gives you access to settings you will be unable to access if you only have the WS4/WS5 headphones.
Ditto on all of this! I prefer the 9" coil, and got the backphones so I could pop the puck off and plug my Killer B's in to it. I actually now have a modified set of Killer B's that allows me to hang the puck right to the headphone, eliminating the cable altogether.

Old 02-15-2017, 05:32 PM
Supporter

If you do buy an XP Deus save yourself ALOT of head aches and worry and make sure the dealer can provide you with a receipt that includes the serial number of the unit. Many are having an issue getting their Deus repaired under warranty because they cannot jump through all the hoops that XP requires.
A 5 year warranty is no good if they refuse to honor it.
I know I will not be buying any more XP products until they get this sorted out.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:05 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by choppadude View post
If you do buy an XP Deus save yourself ALOT of head aches and worry and make sure the dealer can provide you with a receipt that includes the serial number of the unit. Many are having an issue getting their Deus repaired under warranty because they cannot jump through all the hoops that XP requires.
I know I will not be buying any more XP products until they get this sorted out.
It's been a hot mess as of late, that's for sure. My advice would buy New for now from a reputable dealer. Only way I'm going with my new Deus. Good advice Chop

Old 02-15-2017, 06:15 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by AIRFORCEMIKE View post
It's been a hot mess as of late, that's for sure. My advice would buy New for now from a reputable dealer. Only way I'm going with my new Deus. Good advice Chop
Here is the problem Mike, most online dealers actually do not have any stock on hand these days. You order from them and pay they in turn order one from the distributor. The problem is the dealer has no idea what the serial number of the unit is going to be so they cannot put the serial number on your receipt. Some distributors include an invoice with the serial # and some do not. It is a HUGE mess The manufacture, distributor, dealer and repair center need to all get on the same page so a customer does not have to jump through hoops to get the 5 year warranty that the manufacture brags of.
When buying, a person needs to ask the dealer if they will provide a sales receipt with the serial number of the unit. If they will not then move on to the next dealer.
I know of one dealer right now who is in talks with deus to see what can be done to sort this out.
The Deus is a GREAT machine so they should try to make it easier to buy it with some peace of mind.

Old 02-15-2017, 06:10 PM
Elite Member

Hmmm hadn't thought of that.

Past Detectors: Vaquero/AT Pro/AT Gold/Quattro/F70/X-Terra 30/Delta 4000/Freedom 3 CDC/T2 LTD2/1265-X/1225-X/1212-X/1210-X/Amphibian/Gold Bug/MX Sport/Makro Racer/F75 LTD2

Old 02-15-2017, 08:08 PM
Elite Member

I can only attest to whites....their warranty is as advertised. ..top notch, no questions asked. ...I was hoping Deus would be the same...I have no receipt 😦

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Old 02-15-2017, 08:13 PM
Elite Member

I have my receipt with serial number. Good to go

Last edited by Dsm_mechva; 02-16-2017 at 07:23 AM.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:54 PM
Elite Member

Thumbs down i Like my F75se

5 year trouble free warranty, when i upgraded to DST, for 99 bucks, i got a 3 year transferable warranty upgrade, Fisher is great, sorry to see your over sea's holly grail relic- killer has BS warranty loop holes- which hinder the owner's

Excalibur Blue 1000, Excalibur Blue 800, Dual CTX3030's, Surf Pi DF, Sovereign GT, F -75 SE-Boost & DST , 1976 Coin Master ***** In The Past Detectors used -- Two- E-trac's , V3I, Omega 8000, 3- Euro Tek Pro's,2- F75 Standard, Cz70 Pro, Cz20 , Excalibur Sword built by Gary Storm, Two Excalibur 2's & my 1st - One Hot Blue Excalibur 10

Old 02-15-2017, 10:18 PM
Sponsor

I haven't heard of any warranty claim issues with XP and receipt. They definitely have the lowest failure rate of any brand I sell.

The distributor for XP in the US is also the service center. Its very easy for them to validate serials to receipt with their records sent to dealers or customers. I far as I know you just need receipt for proof of purchase.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

-
|
discount code A1466 |
-
-
-

Old 02-15-2017, 10:28 PM
Elite Member

Folks need to be receiving receipts with serial number info.
The units are expensive,,,they are deserving of this.
Besides,,,what about theft,,,and insurance claims.

I don't want to depend on Xp or any dealer to verify the serial number of my equipment. They could make an honest mistake in their records as well.
Having a receipt with serial number(s) will ensure accuracy here.

Serial number data,,,is for both the owner and the manufacturer,,,not just the manufacturer.

And this goes for other manufacturers too,,,especially for $1,000 plus units.

Maybe I should be asking,,just how long will a dealer and or manufacturer keep my serial number data??? Will they keep for 10 years or longer??? Where the actual data can be traced back to me??

Not to mention crashed servers,,,hack jobs, etc., which could destroy or alter this info at dealer or manufacturer or even both.

Last edited by tnsharpshooter; 02-15-2017 at 11:02 PM.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:06 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Surf Master View post
5 year trouble free warranty, when i upgraded to DST, for 99 bucks, i got a 3 year transferable warranty upgrade, Fisher is great, sorry to see your over sea's holly grail relic- killer has BS warranty loop holes- which hinder the owner's
Thats funny, considering how many Minelabs are in your sig. Just sayin.

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:38 PM
Elite Member

Default I could see a deus in my future.

There are a few features the deus would help in some of my hunts.

Old 02-16-2017, 01:05 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Sinowzoa View post
Coils: 9" or 11"
Started with the 9 then got the 11, tad deeper more coverage. Costly move though to get one then a 2nd. It's about where you hunt. Are you always in a small trashy yard? Or do you sometimes do large open areas?

Headphones: WS4 or WS5
WS4 are nice for hot summer days and you have the option of spending $150 on several brands of headphones that accept the puck for full-over-the-ear experience. WS5s fit a tad loose and the ear pads don't stay on as well as they should (taped mine on). But if you had the WS5 and wanted hot summer relief, you can plug earbuds into the Remote, put the remote in a pocket.

Display: WS4 or LCD Remote (I will probably get this one)
You'll want the Remote

1. For someone who already has an Etrac (stock coil), would you recommend the 9 inch coil on the XP Deus?
I don't have an Etrac.

2. Has anyone used both the WS4 and WS5 headphones? What do you prefer? I assume the FX-02 headphones aren't very good.
The WS4s do hurt my ears after a few hours because I wear glasses. But then I can just move them off my ears and have them press against and they stay on my head fine. WS5 I have a love/hate with see above.

3. I see some dealers are selling two poles. Why would you need TWO telescopic poles?
When own 2 coils you can take a 2nd shaft assembly and have a 2nd Deus. Like you plug earbuds into the remote with the 9" and a buddy uses the WS4 headphones and your 11" That what you meant?

4. Version 4.0 is supposed to come out in March. Should I wait till then to buy it? or do these software updates work perfectly with older models? I am not used to detectors with software updates.
No need to wait, software upgrades the past machines perfectly. Now that said, there are 2 new coils coming out that have higher frequencies for gold hunting. Will dealers package those new coils with a Deus? Probably. Do you gold hunt? This may be a package you would want.

Old 02-16-2017, 02:40 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Damianicus View post
Started with the 9 then got the 11, tad deeper more coverage. Costly move though to get one then a 2nd. It's about where you hunt. Are you always in a small trashy yard? Or do you sometimes do large open areas?

WS4 are nice for hot summer days and you have the option of spending $150 on several brands of headphones that accept the puck for full-over-the-ear experience. WS5s fit a tad loose and the ear pads don't stay on as well as they should (taped mine on). But if you had the WS5 and wanted hot summer relief, you can plug earbuds into the Remote, put the remote in a pocket.

You'll want the Remote

I don't have an Etrac.

The WS4s do hurt my ears after a few hours because I wear glasses. But then I can just move them off my ears and have them press against and they stay on my head fine. WS5 I have a love/hate with see above.

When own 2 coils you can take a 2nd shaft assembly and have a 2nd Deus. Like you plug earbuds into the remote with the 9" and a buddy uses the WS4 headphones and your 11" That what you meant?

No need to wait, software upgrades the past machines perfectly. Now that said, there are 2 new coils coming out that have higher frequencies for gold hunting. Will dealers package those new coils with a Deus? Probably. Do you gold hunt? This may be a package you would want.
At least one of us stayed on topic LOL!

Old 02-16-2017, 02:53 PM

One question about warranty...

If I buy that "XP Certified" Waterproofing kit and it leaks, will XP fix my dectector?

Old 02-16-2017, 03:04 PM
Supporter

One question about warranty...

If I buy that "XP Certified" Waterproofing kit and it leaks, will XP fix my dectector?
Good question! I would say that there may be some interpretation as to whether the kit was used or installed properly if a warranty issue comes up. I would email XP Americas and ask them that question. I am sure a lot of others would like to know also.

Old 02-16-2017, 03:27 PM

Good question! I would say that there may be some interpretation as to whether the kit was used or installed properly if a warranty issue comes up. I would email XP Americas and ask them that question. I am sure a lot of others would like to know also.

I called Bill from Detector Electronics Corp from the XP Americas Warranty Information website and he said that they will replace the Waterproof Bag if there are leaks. He said that we have to prove that the bag leaks and not that we didn't close the bag all the way (makes sense).

However, he said that they have NEVER heard of detectors getting ruined from leaking bag. He would not answer my question if they would replace the detector.

So all of you that take your Deus into the water, make sure your bag works. Who knows if they will replace your detector.

Old 02-16-2017, 06:10 PM
Elite Member

Default XP Deus?

I see some dealers are selling two poles. Why would you need TWO telescopic poles?

When I purchased an extra coil it came with a lower stem. There should be no need to purchase a separate lower stem unless you buy an extra coil without one.

The other stem you may be referring to is the extended upper stem. The extended upper stem was designed for really tall people to give the detector more length when fully extended. Again you don't need this unless you are a giant.