Protecting the Garrett Pro pointer

goodmore

Forum Supporter
First a little history. I have tried almost all of the pin pointers out there. In my opinion the best for the buck is the Garrett Pro Pointer. There is only one thing wrong with it. Mine and many of yours continue to break or act erratic. I take care of my equipment. I clean it. I don't throw it around, and I never leave it exposed to heat or cold. But this is my third Garrett Pro pointer. The only thing I can think of is that water is getting inside the unit. They go off when I push on them. They continue to beep when I turn it on. So here is my new trial. My Pro pointer inside a 26" bike tube with waterproof silicone tape at each end. The on/off button is real easy to feel and activate. The vibration is still very strong. This thing will clean in seconds. The tape I got at Home Depot. Stay tuned. I'll let you know if I have extended the life of my Pro Pointer.

Attachments

• IMG_1337.JPG
    IMG_1337.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 3,958
  • IMG_1338.JPG
    IMG_1338.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 3,289
  • IMG_1340.JPG
    IMG_1340.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 3,133
I was looking at this thread and my gf walked in and wanted to know what the heck I was looking at! I told her it's her next present. Needless to say she didn't know it was a pinpointer. :lol:

I was looking at this thread and my gf walked in and wanted to know what the heck I was looking at! I told her it's her next present. Needless to say she didn't know it was a pinpointer. :lol:

Haha I was thinking the same thing..:laughing:

In my experience its quality control. I epoxied my first ProPointer and used it nearly a year hand a half and it never ever falsed. It was awesome. I ended up losing it in a park like an idiot, and my replacement ProPointer stopped vibrating after 2 months. I got another brand new backup I haven't used yet, I hope it's as good as the 1st one. Some are awesome and some suck.

ProPointer condoms? Geez... Garrett will fix them, when they go bad. Maybe when they get tired of repairing and replacing, they will actually fix the problem.

Still believe that for $16, the Centech is the best value for the buck. The ProPointer is great, just not 8 times better...

i think i seen something like that a an adult book store once :lol:

let us know how that holds up for ya. i still have my 3 yr old garret and it does work decent (i use it as my backup since my profind purchase). what i did was silicone the LED area, around the button, and also seal the speaker hole, i basically made mine submersible now.

All my Pro Pointers start out OK. So I don't think it is a good one bad one thing. Mine degrade through time. Wet Grass? Mud? Rinsing in my sink? I saw a video once where the guy held it under a faucet. All he did was cover the speaker hole with his thumb. And number two is on it's way back to Garrett this week. I should have number four as a backup soon.

I think I'll patent my Pro Pointer condom. Besides people might leave me the hell alone when they see it on my side. :lol:

Symptoms you described seem to be common. Garrett is repairing and often replacing them. I need to send mine in. They might need to tweak the design, maybe upgrade some components.

ProPointer condoms? Geez... Garrett will fix them, when they go bad. Maybe when they get tired of repairing and replacing, they will actually fix the problem.

Still believe that for $16, the Centech is the best value for the buck. The ProPointer is great, just not 8 times better...

I've used both and think the pro pointer is 100x better personally. My centech went in the trash. Waste of $16.00.

I've used both and think the pro pointer is 100x better personally. My centech went in the trash. Waste of $16.00.

I've got both. One of my other hobbies is electronics, so had the Centech apart, and customized to better suit my needs, the first week. Still wasn't all that bad, it did the job is was made to do very well, out of the box, just plenty of room to improve. A couple of inches for range, is fine. Don't dig really big holes, soil is sandy, and I'm pretty confident about the location of the target before I set my machine down to dig. Really not a race for me, take my time, have fun. Just me, and how I look at things. Kept reading all the hype, so picked up a Propointer, and is pretty much as expected. It's nice, but just is the magic wand you'd expect for the premium price. It's great that Garrett will fix or replace it, with minimal hassles, where the Centech would need to be bought again, and re-modified.

Goodmore,
I found that fine dirt/dust works its way into the electronics. Along with moisture it bridges the solder traces on the circuit board and makes a conductive pathway causing the problem you describe.

I have a tendency to toss mine on the ground after I sweep the hole. It took a whole year of doing that before I had to send it in. Think I dislodged the coil, couldn't get more than 1/2 inch on a quarter and 4-6 inches on large iron. Two weeks turn around (over the holiday) Garrett sent my PP back, repaired under warranty.

Mine is starting to act funny too, just a little pressure on the tip and it starts beeping. What's involved in getting it repaired by Garrett? Do I need my reciept ? Do you need to call them before sending it in?

I have been putting mine in a freezer bag and using rubber bands for muddy hunts.

I actually have 2 in case one has to go in for service!!

Mine is starting to act funny too, just a little pressure on the tip and it starts beeping. What's involved in getting it repaired by Garrett? Do I need my reciept ? Do you need to call them before sending it in?

Very simple. Just give them a call and they will probably tell you to send it in. I sent mine in because it wouldn't stop beeping. They called me when they received it and said it had a bad coil. They just sent me a brand new one, no charge.

just got my second pp. love them but there is a flaw in the design. with 2 you can use one and send the other in for repairs. hope they fix the problem, its unhandy to have to send them in for repair. HH blev

Update on Pro Pointer "Protector"

In the original post that is a Pro Pointer inside the bike tube. I had previously used this Pro Pointer on ONE other hunt. Today I took my Pro Pointer out for it's second hunt all safe and secure. I swear the thing is acting up already. As soon as stuck it in the hole and applied pressure the Pro Pointer started to false. I have one that I sent to Garrett last week for replacement or repair. I will be selling it the day I get it. I am officially out of the Pro Pointer ownership club. Smearing the product or the Garrett name is not the purpose of this post. I will continue my quest to find a model that fits my needs.

In the original post that is a Pro Pointer inside the bike tube. I had previously used this Pro Pointer on ONE other hunt. Today I took my Pro Pointer out for it's second hunt all safe and secure. I swear the thing is acting up already. As soon as stuck it in the hole and applied pressure the Pro Pointer started to false. I have one that I sent to Garrett last week for replacement or repair. I will be selling it the day I get it. I am officially out of the Pro Pointer ownership club. Smearing the product or the Garrett name is not the purpose of this post. I will continue my quest to find a model that fits my needs.

switch back over to the dark side........minelab :lol: i haven't used my propointer since getting my profinder and love it, at first i wasn't a big fan and liked my garrett better but now after using it for a few months i won't go back to my garrett unless i have to.

Why would they fix a flaw, the encourages people to buy two or more backup Propointers? Think the major production cost, is the company logo on it, so it's a very profitable flaw. Not to mention, every time they make customers happy, with fantastic customer service, it encourages others to purchase more of their other products as well. It's an accessary, not the end of the world if it fails on a hunt, just a little annoying.

I am on my 2nd one and need to order the third one.. the second one I water proofed it and it still false same as yours.. I think there is a problem with falsing on them all if you press on the back putting pressure on the battery compartment.. At least the ones I have had and seen.. I try to avoid pressing on the end of it now but it is still falsing.. They are great but I am not having very good luck with them..
Sonny

switch back over to the dark side........minelab :lol: i haven't used my propointer since getting my profinder and love it, at first i wasn't a big fan and liked my garrett better but now after using it for a few months i won't go back to my garrett unless i have to.

You know that this does not please me. But after studying all the Pin Pointers out there I think you are right. Back to Minelab. UGH!

Back
Top Bottom