My Wireless Setup!

The more I learn about this whole process the more I realize how little I actually know, that is except one thing; if I spend much more on this stuff I'm going to be using a metal detector to find the fillings from my teeth after my wife knocks them out of me.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

That is always an issue..

For me at least the whole object of a wireless set-up is to eliminate the wires altogether. With a small radio in your pocket and then wired to your phones you are not wireless.

OK. Search over, for me at least. I bought a low latency transmitter and eat buds, also low latency from Amazon. The signal is clean, the sound accurate, and the lag or delay is zero or near enough that it's irrelevant in real world practice. To test the set up, I simply plugged it into my computer and I could test for any latency with mouse click and corresponding sound. I may try to write a routine that actually measures the difference, but if you can't hear the difference, I'm not sure how much it matters. My quest is over.

Amazon links
http://www.amazon.com/Coredy-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Transform-Non-Bluetooth/dp/B00TB3ULOW
http://www.amazon.com/Acode-Bluetoo...=UTF8&qid=1444524933&sr=1-1&keywords=acode+s1

OK. Search over, for me at least. I bought a low latency transmitter and eat buds, also low latency from Amazon. The signal is clean, the sound accurate, and the lag or delay is zero or near enough that it's irrelevant in real world practice. To test the set up, I simply plugged it into my computer and I could test for any latency with mouse click and corresponding sound. I may try to write a routine that actually measures the difference, but if you can't hear the difference, I'm not sure how much it matters. My quest is over.

Amazon links
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZEZ5RAO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TB3ULOW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

I'm really glad it all worked out for you. The real secret is the APT-X low latency, of which both the transmitter and headphones must be. Originally I picked them out from this site. I think they own the technology.

http://www.aptx.com/products-low-latency/browse/categories

I'm really glad <snip> I think they own the technology.

http://www.aptx.com/products-low-latency/browse/categories

I saw that too, but I still did more research since the technology has been out for a little while now. I was kind of thinking that there may be some newer or 2nd gen version out there. There isn't yet. I did see a BT 4.0 option, but still still same APTX integration. I only wished I had the budget for some different headphones with longer battery life, but the s#it works.
:woot:

I've been meaning to post this for a while about wireless solutions. Back in July I did a lot of research and ended up with this:

Indigo BTR9L Bluetooth Low Latency. I got 2 actually, one to transmit, and one to receive. Tried them watching a movie and there was no noticeable lip sync lag. Tried measuring the lag using a timing video on my pc and best I could estimate was approximately 50ms--definitely way less than 100ms.

Weight 0.3 oz. Size 2.0" x 1.4" x 0.3". Internal Li-ion battery lasts 11 hours on TX side, 6 hours on RX side. I haven't run it that long but I have gone 4 hours on both.

I velcroed the TX unit to my F75 armcuff. It came with a short "mp3" cable which goes to a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter (already had) which plugs into the F75 headphone output. Volume set to minimum works great. That weight is not a typo - zero point three ounces. The mp3 cable bundled up probably weighs as much -- so added weight is totally unnoticeable.

The RX unit goes in my back pocket, with 1/8" headphones plugged in, wire behind my back.

Sound quality is excellent, lag is effectively non-existent. I forget I'm wireless.

This was exactly what I wanted in that there is no wire between me and the detector, no noticeable lag, and I can use ANY HEADPHONES I WANT. I could use a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter on the RX unit if I wanted to use big over the ear headphones. I'm happy with old school walkman style on-the ear headphones - block out much, but not all, outside noise.

Downside is built-in battery. Probably impossible to replace without majorly defacing the things. I'd choose more battery life in exchange for a little bigger, heavier unit, but usually 6 hours is enough for me. IF THEY DO RUN OUT OF JUICE, I CAN STILL PLUG THE HEADPHONES DIRECTLY INTO THE DETECTOR, and keep on keeping on. :)

I think I paid about $60 for the pair of them. Here's an amazon link:

http://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Tra...p/B00OQUV1QM/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

There is another one that looks exactly the same, but is black (BTR9) but it is NOT low latency, so I can't recommend it. Look for the BTR9L.

Happy Hunting.

Attachments

• indigo9L.jpg
    indigo9L.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 314
Great write-up TorqueMaster. What with the very limited amount of low latency headphones available your set-up makes sense. As far as battery life on the units, how often would anyone actually detect for 8 hrs. straight in a day. Not me at least. Some may question why go the bluetooth route when there are other options. Believe me, I threw a bunch of money at the FM and 2.4GHZ ways to go and the sound quality was just not there although they would work fine for a single tone machine. HH

I went with BlueTooth over 4 years ago. Been hearing about the horrible lag, every time I ever mentioned the option. I'm really glad to seen more people giving it a try. At worst, from what people have been say, is the lag is maybe a couple of 10ths of a second. Really don't see that as significant, never noticed enough a problem, to hook it up to the TV, and see how far out of sync the audio was. I swing normal, until I get a beep, then slow way down, as I pinpoint and study the target. One or two tenths of a second, makes no difference at that point. Maybe some of competitive-type hunters, where every second counts, need to shave those tenths, to qualify for the nationals, or Olympics try outs. I'm just out to have fun, not get rich, or impress. Probably would annoy the fast pace hunters, I take my time, relax, enjoy the moment.

Think BlueTooth will continue to improve. Tablets and smart phones are video oriented, so the audio needs to keep up. Wired headphones or external speakers are a pain. It's a strong market, every reason to continue improving the technology.

Any wireless, digital audio, is going to have some latency. Sound is an analog signal, which needs to be convert, encode, into a digital signal to be transmitted, then converted back to analog, so you can hear it. Anyone saying their digital wireless setup is better than Bluetooth, because there is no lag, is full of it. Is just that a slight lag, really doesn't matter with metal detectors. Even the worst case lag in the specs papers is going to be what we see, it's not a continuous sound stream, just a brief tone, as we pass over a target.

Regardless, I value not being on a leash, and would make a trade off in sound, to be cord free. Fortunately, sound is good, pinpoint fine. Some places, I wish I could crank up the volume a little more, but it's still good enough to get by.

Great write-up TorqueMaster. What with the very limited amount of low latency headphones available your set-up makes sense. As far as battery life on the units, how often would anyone actually detect for 8 hrs. straight in a day. Not me at least.

Thanks. Yeah, I found very few low latency bluetooth headphones, and didn't want to be stuck with the styles I found. In the future, I may try one of those one-ear bluetooth cellphone Borg implant deals if I can find one light enough and runs long enough and stays put well enough. One ear to the ground, as it were. ;)

I've said this before -- someday the electronics industry will standardize on a low latency, high fidelity bluetooth (or whatever supersedes) wireless audio solution, so we won't have to work so hard to find a pair that does what we need/want. It's available now, though -- it's time for manufactures to start including low latency bluetooth in their detectors. An add-on would be ok, but kludgey. I'd like to see it on all models, but expect it will show on "flagship" models first. And probably overpriced wireless headphones as an option, but any off the shelf low-latency headphones being compatible.

Biggest problem I see is "Joe Sixpack" pairing it with their laggy old-tech cellphone headset, and condemning the whole wireless concept because it's too laggy. Or they could probably make it so it will not pair with non-low-latency headsets...creating a slew of "why won't this thing pair with my headset" service calls. Maybe I just answered my own question why they haven't implemented it yet.

And just like that...I'm WIRELESS! I already had the headphones.

Attachments

• IMG_20160609_142200b.jpg
    IMG_20160609_142200b.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 344
Back
Top Bottom