Jewelry Magnifier

DiggerDug

I recently watched a video on detecting where the guy used a jewelry magnifier to check his finds. His was attached to a lanyard around his neck.
Pretty smart I thought. Question though, what would be a good power to use? 10x, 20x, or more?

I have one that has two, one 10X-18MM and one 20X-12MM. Good for reading those marks on jewelery. I don't take it with me though, slows down my detecting. I just wait til I get home where it is cleaner. They are really cheap to buy.

I have one that has two, one 10X-18MM and one 20X-12MM. Good for reading those marks on jewelery. I don't take it with me though, slows down my detecting. I just wait til I get home where it is cleaner. They are really cheap to buy.

Actually, if you look them up, the 10x can be pretty expensive. I have a 20x that I bought for less than four bucks. I've seen good 10x for up to and including two hundred.

I keep this in my truck. It's a 4x slide viewer, and the magnification power lets me see the smallest stamps and hallmarks. Even the ones on the posts of earrings. Plus it's perfect for coins. I think a 10x or 20x would be overkill and maybe even a hinderance. I think those are for jewelers and actually examining the quality of gems and minerals. But I could be wrong.

Attachments

• IMG_0024.jpg
    IMG_0024.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 124
I recently watched a video on detecting where the guy used a jewelry magnifier to check his finds. His was attached to a lanyard around his neck.
Pretty smart I thought. Question though, what would be a good power to use? 10x, 20x, or more?

I have carried in my profession as a geologist a 14 X magnifier on a key ring also with an attached nail clipper for the past 40 years. If you get a 20X you will have to have very bright sunlight to see anything with it. Also it has a much shorter focal length.

Some of the new Chinese 10X handlens have pretty decent optics, but my regular lens is a Bauch & Lomb 14X Triplet...Unfortunately those are now around $40 each. An 8 buck Chinese magnifier will do you just about as good!

"I keep this in my truck. It's a 4x slide viewer, and the magnification power lets me see the smallest stamps and hallmarks. Even the ones on the posts of earrings. Plus it's perfect for coins. I think a 10x or 20x would be overkill and maybe even a hinderance. I think those are for jewelers and actually examining the quality of gems and minerals. But I could be wrong."

It really depends on what you first buy and are trained to use. Whatever you get, just learn to use it and soon you will find that from 4X to 14X is in the range of usability.

HA HA if you plan on only using it at home, then get an Opti-Visor with 4X lens and the fold over accessory which gives you 8X for one eye! It is a bit dorky looking but is great at 4X if you want to see something stereo!

Back
Top Bottom