Help me date this Flat button

eculuke

I'm hoping to get a accurate date on this flat button. I'm hoping somebody has info on the brand...I know it's the run of the mill flat button. But haven't seen one with only the word gilt. Thanks
d23423ccf0134ac301cf7a45de3caa2d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that is a British. If it is, it would likely have been made between 1790 to 1820. If it is made in the USA, it would be more like up to the 1840s.

They were made by the million and generally with no maker's back marks. Gilt refers to the coating on the button and can imagine it said Treble or Best also.

Double or tripple guild (is what it say's).

I would more date it at 1850-1900.

The technology to make that type button came to the US around 1820. By the 1840s new technology made that button somewhat obsolete. Buttons were now being made from Mother of Pearl and other items, bone, etc.

I can say with pretty high certainty there are no other words on this button

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The technology to make that type button came to the US around 1820. By the 1840s new technology made that button somewhat obsolete. Buttons were now being made from Mother of Pearl and other items, bone, etc.

Technology of mechanical production came at about 1820 but was scarce in the beginning. At first it was mostly experimental and the 'xtimes guilded' wasn't there yet. Mechanical production became more common about 1850.
That's why i dated it 1850-1900, were these 'xtimes guilded' buttons normally are dated at.
For more information search the internet for "double tripple guilded button"

I'm not familiar with the timeline of button manufacturing in the Netherlands, however, respectfully, England began mass-producing these in the 1790's, and had exported Millions of them to the U.S. before our manufacturing could keep up with demand, in the 1820's as duggap mentioned. By the 1840's the 2-piece button could be produced inexpensively and largely reduced the production of these in both England and the U.S.
This was made in either the U.S. or England, where Double / Treble Gilt was the terminology used. Or in this case just Gilt indicating only one layer of gold mixture was applied.

Almost every flat button I hit up here in New York State says GILT on it, it's quite common.

A fun find nonetheless; flat buttons never get dull to find, I love them! It's even better when you find ones with a design on the top, but rare.

Back
Top Bottom