CTX 3030 Lower shaft

Jeff in Georgia

Elite Member
I've been considering buying a second shaft to keep mounted on a second coil for easy coil change over. But just couldn't pull the trigger on a Minelab or an after market version at the price of them and how they were made.

Decided to make my own. Made a little "twist" to this version, how the cable goes into the yoke / shaft. Was trying to reduce the bending stress on the coil cable and also where the cable goes into the coil. Came up with this.

Attachments

• DSCN2366.jpg
    DSCN2366.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 460
  • DSCN2365.jpg
    DSCN2365.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 324
  • DSCN2364.jpg
    DSCN2364.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 334
Last edited:
That looks great Jeff! Is it sturdy? Any play in the coil? Nice job!

Very strong, no flex.
Yoke was made on a lathe and using an end mill from a single piece of round plastic stock. Machined and designed for a precision tight fit with rubber washers. Carbon fiber shaft. The two are epoxied together.

That there SIR is PURDY!!!

I've been considering buying a second shaft to keep mounted on a second coil for easy coil change over. But just couldn't pull the trigger on a Minelab or an after market version at the price of them and how they were made.

Decided to make my own. Made a little "twist" to this version, how the cable goes into the yoke / shaft. Was trying to reduce the bending stress on the coil cable and also where the cable goes into the coil. Came up with this.

Looks good. What kind of plastic ? Do you now think the after market shaft is worth the $ after all the work you put into it?

Looks good. What kind of plastic ? Do you now think the after market shaft is worth the $ after all the work you put into it?

The bar stock was Delrin.
Machining it took a while but I really like how it came out.
Made 2, this one and one closer to the stock injection molded Minelab version I plan to use for a split / 2 piece carry-on flight version.
I may check into having some of the "twisted" yokes 3-D printed.

Worst part was finding the carbon fiber tubing in the right OD & ID at a reasonable price. I've got 4 pieces of the tubing to work with.

Like most mod. projects, it was more of a labor of love than a money making opportunity. And you get what you want, not what someone else would like you to buy.

Buying parts in larger volume and mass produced, I could see them being a profitable product to make.

The bar stock was Delrin.
Machining it took a while but I really like how it came out.
Made 2, this one and one closer to the stock injection molded Minelab version I plan to use for a split / 2 piece carry-on flight version.
I may check into having some of the "twisted" yokes 3-D printed.

Worst part was finding the carbon fiber tubing in the right OD & ID at a reasonable price. I've got 4 pieces of the tubing to work with.

Like most mod. projects, it was more of a labor of love than a money making opportunity. And you get what you want, not what someone else would like you to buy.

Buying parts in larger volume and mass produced, I could see them being a profitable product to make.
I think it's a lot of work... to profit $25 or so. And that's assuming nothing goes wrong with delivery or something else.
Delrin is a good choice. A bit heavy, and prone to uv damage/cracking if proper steps aren't taken to protect it. Nylon, pom, perhaps even pc with glass are all ok. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom