TOOTSIETOY Roadster

Wildcat1750 (nyjrbethelct)

Forum Supporter
My first hunt of 2009 (Jan.4), thanks to a small patch of lawn that opened up in my snowy yard! Darkness had already fallen and temps were back in the upper 20s. Due to the cold and semi frozen crust I only dug strong targets on discrimination.

I found one pull tab, a short thin strip of aluminum siding, and a sharp little TOOTSIETOY USA Roadster. I’m not certain of the vintage but the color is red and has a 3 on the bottom of it.

Nick

Attachments

• 100_6393_email.jpg
    100_6393_email.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 3,609
  • 100_6395_email.jpg
    100_6395_email.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 4,227
Thats a very cool little find. I like finding coin/jewelry, but I also love finding little toys like that! Good job braving the cold temps!

neat little find

i remember those in the red and a sky blue color it sure brings back the days . fun find Nick

Dan

Nice car! I have an old tootsie, its blue, not sure of the exact car, but it sure looks nice for being in the ground all that long!:yes:

That's a nice find!
It's funny, I never thought I would be collecting toy cars again at this point in my life! They are fun to find for sure!

HH,
Rick

Must have been a popular toy back when!

The left one is a model 2, the right a model 3. They were found on two different hunts, and they look identical to me!

Attachments

• 100_4854.jpg
    100_4854.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 2,780
I didn't realize these were so popular :) Found this one last week,its a # 4 ?!?!

Attachments

• tootsiecar.JPG
    tootsiecar.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 2,921
  • 1001100004.JPG
    1001100004.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 2,668
Can the numbers be tied to chronological dates?

I didn't realize these were so popular :) Found this one last week,its a # 4 ?!?!

I didn't realize these were so popular either, emdees and mepot! What do the different numbers mean? Are the lower numbers the older ones in the series?
Nick

what do the numbers mean?

just a guess, i think its the die number
for the mold, like mold #1 has say 20
forms, mold #2 X # of forms, and so on
a sorta tracking system, for inspection
purpose
if you notice 1, 2 look very much alike
3 dif than 2 and 4, and 4 really dif.
just little difs like the piston positons
some rise higher, same with windshild
and carb on engine. guessing whoever
made molds was a dif person, for each mold
and he/she thought the windsheild should
be higher ect.

Those tootsie toys are pretty cool! I dig plenty of old toy guns but none of these cars yet. They look like they have help up pretty well for being in the ground for so long!

just a guess, i think its the die number
for the mold, like mold #1 has say 20
forms, mold #2 X # of forms, and so on
a sorta tracking system, for inspection
purpose
if you notice 1, 2 look very much alike
3 dif than 2 and 4, and 4 really dif.
just little difs like the piston positons
some rise higher, same with windshild
and carb on engine. guessing whoever
made molds was a dif person, for each mold
and he/she thought the windsheild should
be higher ect.

Seems to make sense to me. I haven't found any other explanations so far on-line. There are a couple of books out there for serious collectors of TootsieToys that might cover the subject.

Nick

i have the same car found the other day at a old house, anyone have a date of when this model was made?

Back
Top Bottom