Used excal 1000 advice/help?

Kapi

Forum Supporter
What do you guys think of the used excal 1000 for sale at Kellyco? I'm thinking of getting it. Any suggestions advice? Wait for an 8 inch coil? Will the 10 be too heavy to swing in the ocean?

I hunt primarily only ocean hunting in St. Augustine Florida and want a water machine.

opinion

I like the 8 in the water, the 10 in the wet , and dry, more coverage, the 8 has less drag in the water, if that blue is still available , I would snatch it up, Earl

...but if you want to build Popeye forearms the 10" is much better! ;)

Attachments

• popeyehead.jpg
    popeyehead.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 221
Found another forums spec sheet that says...
22.3 oz - 8" BBS Excal coil
29.0 oz - 10" BBS Excal coil

Switching to a carbon fiber shaft and/or relocating the control box is going to more than make up for the 6-1/2 ounce weight difference as well as reduce the drag resultant from removing the mass (footprint) of the control box pushing through the water.

Eh....when I used the Sea hunter I had (2) coils....an 8 and 10x14. There was almost no difference when swinging the coils in the water, but a huge difference when I tried to use either with a coil cover. THe cover acted like a sail that created a great amount of resistance and/or caught in the current.

Using a shaft with the controls behind the elbow gets the controls out of the water unless you are chest deep so no drag from the controls. Carbon fiber shaft of the same length will reduce your weight by approximately .6 pounds (Plugger alumionum travel shaft and Plugger Telescopic Carbon Fiber Shaft weight comparison done today)
Putting the controls on the waist lowers the weight of the unit on the arm but puts all the weight on the end of the shaft (not balanced).
The 8" will go through the water easier than the 10"
Each way has its pros and cons but no matter what you do, you will have the coil in the water creating drag IF you try to swing it like on the wet sand..... IF you go with the flow and slow, you can hunt all day with the 10", you just won't be able to keep up with the speed hunters that just have to get there first.......
You can always change coils later but the blue won't be for sale later cause if you don't get it someone else will.

Cliff

Thanks Cliff! Does Minelab still repair them if needed?

Excal repairs are actually done at Kellyco. Not sure if that is the only Excal repair facility in the states but it is the one I have used for warranty work and I know others have had "out of warranty" work done there too.

Cliff

Get it ! even the 10 in coil :) Carbon fiber shaft will reduce the weight enough to
make it comfortable.

Barb I can give you pointers on how to use one. Bear in mind there is nothing wrong with the Excalibur ll if you can find a good used one. I hunt behind several blue 1000's here. Excal ll keeps up with them. The ones I know with the 12x10" SEF mod actually struggle in the water. Our waves make it impossible to dig as deep as most do anyways.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!! you're complicating things! :) :) :)

You use a DFX. Waterproof DFX is a Beachhunter ID. CZ21 is sort of like using an upgraded Beachhunter id without lights. I can teach you how to use a CZ21 in 15 minutes. It only has 3 tones. Excalibur has a bunch of tones. CZ has iron, low gold/foil tone, and high coin/silver tone. Pinpoint button on a CZ all you do is touch it. Excalibur you click it and hope the pot doesn't strip out:shock:

You could bring it to Mary Street ramp by Butler park tomorrow between 11 and 1 and help on a wedding ring recovery attempt :)

At the bottom of the Kellyco ad it says a new 10" coil and headset are included which more than likely are a Slimline coil and yellow Koss headphones.

Back
Top Bottom