Anyone had 3030 problems?

Spectra1

Elite Member
Mine has been in shop 5 times and every time I get to beach it has to go back to service within 20 mins if hunting?

I know how to use it... I demoed it... Mine has not worked correctly since bought.
Has anyone else had issues?
Please list your issues here:

My wireless keeps disconnecting
Says USB connected after start up and can't detect although no USB is connected.
We all know about leak issues.
Screws have been replaced 3 times even though I wash immediately and disconnect all connections after use.
Backlight want out.
Startup screen would not go away but could still detect....blindly...

Those are all issues I have sent in for.... Started 3 months out of the box and everytime I go out have to send back.

Any clue why they won't just replace the machine?

To give the rest of us a chance, I started an anti-CTX regime and overthrew ML's service department. Bwha-ha-haaaaaaaa :laughing:

Sorry to hear though......did u still hunt today?

Yeah found great area started nailing older deep coins..... Then it took a !!!! again.... Like you saw in Jax with headphones and screen saying " USB connected" only problem... No USB connected and won't let me detect ... Then the wireless headphone thing AGAIN. And they said " they're fine" we tested them.... Well I video taped it all today so they can't keep calling me " crazy"...
Idk why they just don't give me a new machine it's been having problems since 3 months old and 8 months in shop.

I'm working on a YouTube channel " Ctx 3030" best machine in the world when it works.... Every other 15 minutes."

Those who don't have problems god bless you... Those that do god help you!!!!
$2500 washed to sea... With1800$ in useless accessories !!!! That where I am.

Hate to say it but when all else fails, u might want to slip a c-note inside the RMA for the tech guy asking him to swap all the guts. :takethat:

I emails every Minelab address and finally the Australians are forwarding issue to senior management at Minelab Americas .... Let's see what Gary does...not gonna help when I spent 3k to come to this ace for a week though... I will keep ya posted, David!

Sorry to hear your troubles, hope they resolve your problems and send you a trouble free machine.

I've owned 3 CTX 3030's and every one worked flawlessly.

I guess I've been blessed. In near 40 years of detecting and having owned many detectors I've only ever sent one in for repairs. That was a White's Eagle Spectrum I had used very hard for 5 years before the screen started loosing pixels.

I've owned 3 CTX 3030's and every one worked flawlessly.

I guess I've been blessed. In near 40 years of detecting and having owned many detectors I've only ever sent one in for repairs. That was a White's Eagle Spectrum I had used very hard for 5 years before the screen started loosing pixels.

I'm curious as to why you've owned 3 in such a short time, being the CTX hasn't been around all that long ?

I have had mine for over 2 years. Mine just got back from being repaired, but was only in for minor issues. Loose handle from bushing wearing out, lower rod plastic coil holder slid off the carbon fiber, water getting into coil connector,and arm cuff wouldn't stay in place.
They fixed everything except the arm cuff, in fact I think it's worse now. Also all the screws were replaced.
Mike

I'm working on a YouTube channel " Ctx 3030" best machine in the world when it works.... Every other 15 minutes."

Those who don't have problems god bless you... Those that do god help you!!!!
$2500 washed to sea... With1800$ in useless accessories !!!! That where I am.

Youtube scares the s***! out of people. Best thing is if its going down that often and should be replaced. First you demand a replacement. If they say "Hell no!" make you a nice little vid with a good title and post it on youtube. President of the company will try and reach you after that. :lol:

Maybe its time to get rid of the pig and buy a detector made for water hunting... the Excalibur.

This is how I have to charge mine. POS plug adapter doesn't make a good connection you have an arc welder at your wall outlet. I never leave mine plugged in when I'm not home. I also have 5 fire extinguishers 10 feet from this plug with a smoke detector over it. Chinese trying to kill us all:no:

Attachments

• SAM_1553.jpg
    SAM_1553.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 773
  • SAM_1552.jpg
    SAM_1552.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 798
I noticed those that havent had a problem .....dont live near salt water. There is NO machine used in salt water that isnt going to need some repairs guys... NONE. You need to figure that into your budget for some of that gold. Im telling you..... wait until you are paying for those repairs out of pocket. Now how many of us have said the very same thing about the Xcal II.... best machine out there.... when its working correctly. Pay more for a machine.... pay more for repairs.

Dew

I noticed those that havent had a problem .....dont live near salt water. Dew
Perhaps....but Joe (Spectra1) has probably used his CTX for a (max) 30 hours near salt water hunting areas. He lives & works inland, where the little time he has to hunt is usually spent on relic hunting. Let me add, he is quite meticulous when it comes to keeping the unit clean and using it as delicate instrument instead of a walking cane.

Minelab's neglect to appropriately address customer care and support on their flagship machine has been the reason I have delayed my order. :roll:

I noticed those that havent had a problem .....dont live near salt water. There is NO machine used in salt water that isnt going to need some repairs guys... NONE. You need to figure that into your budget for some of that gold. Im telling you..... wait until you are paying for those repairs out of pocket. Now how many of us have said the very same thing about the Xcal II.... best machine out there.... when its working correctly. Pay more for a machine.... pay more for repairs.

Dew

I will probably jinx myself here but none of my saltwater machines ever needed a repair except the Dual Field when I had a coil failure.. my first Excalibur didn't need anything my GT hasn't needed anything, my DF electronics have been fine, you cannot make a blanket statement like that...

These detectors are not built to be leaned on when digging, one needs to baby the detector.. After every hunt my machines are cleaned with high pressure soap and water... they are stored in the house not in the garage where there can be temperature fluctuations..

The CTX is an over priced detector... I don't see it out hunting any other water machine out there... its no deeper than the Excalibur in fact the Excal may be deeper especially in PP mode... the Excal was made for the water.

What is ML going to charge for its second generation CTX that doesn't need to be repaired all the time? $4000? They will get it because guys are willing to pay big bucks to find the yellow...

Buy a pulse and a Excal or CZ21 for the price one pays for a machine that can't be taken in the water any deeper than a ATPRO :roll: Good job ML.

Spectra, your 3030 sounds like a lemon to me and I agree that it should be replaced or at least totally rebuilt just using your existing lower and upper shaft....:yes:
As Dew stated, no machine used in saltwater will continue to work without the need of repairs sooner or later. Every machine I have or had has needed to be repaired they include an Excal II, CTX, CZ-21, ATX and a Sand Shark, this is in four years....the CZ has been back 5 times now (different owner now) the Sand Shark twice, the 3030 twice but really needs to go back again, the Excal II once and my Garrett ATX is at Garrett right now for repairs. I take care of my equipment but I do not baby it..... I use the machines as a crutch when I dig in the water and I hunt a minimum of 5 days a week....
The 3030 is a good to great machine for using in the saltwater but has flaws in its design for the seals (USB and Battery) along with a shared problem that both Garrett and Minelab have with the shafts on both the ATX and CTX. The idea of a compact detector is great but doesn't work well when salt and sand are added. A one piece shaft is better than any collapsible shaft, parts stick and/or wear out.
The CTX has been my main detector for the past 11 months roughly 1700 hours on the machine during that time and easily 3/4 of that time is with the battery submerged.... electronics never failed, seals never leaked during that time span, you have a lemon and Minelab should step up on that machine.
Good luck
Cliff

Back
Top Bottom