Strange design silver ring today

cdv

Elite Member
and I have NO idea what it is supposed to be, anyone have any ideas?

Part of a two ring set and this part is an American Indian headdress???

Cliff

Attachments

• 2014-08-21 17.45.10.jpg
    2014-08-21 17.45.10.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 389
  • 2014-08-21 17.45.23.jpg
    2014-08-21 17.45.23.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 368
seeing the first pic i was going to say it looks like a giant clam shell, but the second pic makes me think again. :?:
whatever it is, it doesn't look to be very comfortable to the persons finger. :no:

That is an ancient early american warrior feather ring!. It was made to represent (oddly enough) how many scalps a warrior had collected. Each warrior would receive just one ring after his first turkey kill with bow and arrow. They'd get the ring the way you see it, molded carefully of molten nearly tarnish proof sterling silver and each feather would be hollow.

If the warrior scalped an invading soldier the head of the tribe would take the ring and exchange the scalp for the rarely ever seen liquid ruby. To melt the rubies they'd have to get to extreme heats and it could take a year of hides to get the fire hot enough. Once the ruby was melted they'd pour it into one of the feathers and then ironically fan it with Turkey feathers tied together to cool it.

If a warrior ever filled all the feathers on his ring he'd become the new head of the tribe and his first duty would be to learn the ancient art of ruby melting.

It is rumored that he who possesses the ring especially if it's worn, will have great luck though they almost always develop an allergy to feathers.

It us customary for anyone that finds such a ring to give a water detector to anyone most familiar with said ring. This is said to break the curse of the feather allergy.

:yes:

Ok this is a great sign that I'm too tired to still be up :) Good night! Congrats on the ring find!

That is an ancient early american warrior feather ring!. It was made to represent (oddly enough) how many scalps a warrior had collected. Each warrior would receive just one ring after his first turkey kill with bow and arrow. They'd get the ring the way you see it, molded carefully of molten nearly tarnish proof sterling silver and each feather would be hollow.

If the warrior scalped an invading soldier the head of the tribe would take the ring and exchange the scalp for the rarely ever seen liquid ruby. To melt the rubies they'd have to get to extreme heats and it could take a year of hides to get the fire hot enough. Once the ruby was melted they'd pour it into one of the feathers and then ironically fan it with Turkey feathers tied together to cool it.

If a warrior ever filled all the feathers on his ring he'd become the new head of the tribe and his first duty would be to learn the ancient art of ruby melting.

It is rumored that he who possesses the ring especially if it's worn, will have great luck though they almost always develop an allergy to feathers.

It us customary for anyone that finds such a ring to give a water detector to anyone most familiar with said ring. This is said to break the curse of the feather allergy.

Ok this is a great sign that I'm too tired to still be up :) Good night! Congrats on the ring find!

Ok What she said,how she said it,,,, dang She's good!! lol

Wow that is very strange.... But a good target..

Skeptical Sam checking in... Liquid rubies? Ruby melts at over 2000*, and Indians didn't even uses metals other than silver, and that was only recently... and burning hides? :?: source please?

Ok, I have to ask, did this just flow out of your fingers in rapid succession? Because if it did, you need to put down the metal detector and start writing for a living! Darn thing is, I just woke up and was believing it until I got near the part that said "anyone that finds such a ring to give a water detector to anyone most familiar with said ring" I'm not stupid, I know they didn't have water detectors back then......Oh wait, willow branches for divining rods.....hmmm maybe your reply is factual......

:laughing:

Cliff

That's some imagination Kapidr!!
Doesn't look like it was lost that long ago.
I would think if it was in the water a long time that their was some other material that filled those indentations at one time, like enamel or a stone like turquois??!! Is that a makers mark? I would call it a fan design, if you google it you'll see like images. DL

Haha I was so involved with the idea of melting ruby that I missed the humor at the end! You got me! :laughing:

I am still nauseous from the thought of the smell of burning animal hides! :(

:) I used to love to write but have no idea what to write now or how to make a living at it :)

Haha I was so involved with the idea of melting ruby that I missed the humor at the end! You got me! :laughing:

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the mineral or gem. For other uses, see Ruby (disambiguation).
Ruby
Ruby - Winza, Tanzania.jpg
Natural ruby crystals from Winza, Tanzania
General
Category Mineral variety
Formula
(repeating unit) aluminium oxide with chromium, Al2O3:Cr
Identification
Color Red, may be brownish, purplish, or pinkish
Crystal habit Varies with locality. Terminated tabular hexagonal prisms.
Crystal system Trigonal (Hexagonal Scalenohedral), symbol (−3 2/m), space group R3c
Cleavage No true cleavage
Fracture Uneven or conchoidal
Mohs scale hardness 9.0
Luster Vitreous
Streak white
Diaphaneity transparent
Specific gravity 4.0
Refractive index nω=1.768–1.772
nε=1.760–1.763
Birefringence 0.008
Pleochroism Orangey red, purplish red
Ultraviolet fluorescence red under longwave
Melting point 2044 °C (about 3000 average size animal hides)
Solubility none
Major varieties
Sapphire Any color except shades of red
Corundum various colors
Emery Granular
A ruby is a pink to blood-red colored gemstone, a variety of the mineral corundum (aluminium oxide). The red color is caused mainly by the presence of the element chromium. Its name comes from ruber, Latin for red. Other varieties of gem-quality corundum are called sapphires. The ruby is considered one of the four precious stones, together with the sapphire, the emerald and the diamond.[1]

Rubies were sometimes used by ancient Indian tribes in what is known as achievement rings, particularly to show the amount of scalps a warrior had obtained. This was done by melting a ruby to be poured into an Indian feather ring. See Ancient ruby melting. [2]

Prices of rubies are primarily determined by color. The brightest and most valuable "red" called blood-red, commands a large premium over other rubies of similar quality. After color follows clarity: similar to diamonds, a clear stone will command a premium, but a ruby without any needle-like rutile inclusions may indicate that the stone has been treated. Cut and carat (weight) are also an important factor in determining the price. Ruby is the traditional birthstone for July and is always lighter red or pink than garnet.

Sorry I have too much time on my hands and a vivid imagination :) I couldn't resist!

Bet you are thinking about a banana split though. Just eat it and stay in the air conditioning. They melt below 98.6 degrees. Trust me!:laughing:

Funny how we each come to conclusions based on what we eat. I thought it looked like a row of avocado halves!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You got to be kidding me. Did you make all this up? I LIKE YOU. We could get drunk together!! Nice story. :laughing:

that is an ancient early american warrior feather ring!. It was made to represent (oddly enough) how many scalps a warrior had collected. Each warrior would receive just one ring after his first turkey kill with bow and arrow. They'd get the ring the way you see it, molded carefully of molten nearly tarnish proof sterling silver and each feather would be hollow.

If the warrior scalped an invading soldier the head of the tribe would take the ring and exchange the scalp for the rarely ever seen liquid ruby. To melt the rubies they'd have to get to extreme heats and it could take a year of hides to get the fire hot enough. Once the ruby was melted they'd pour it into one of the feathers and then ironically fan it with turkey feathers tied together to cool it.

Ok this is a great sign that i'm too tired to still be up :) good night! Congrats on the ring find!

funny !!

Back
Top Bottom