• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

my thoughts on the equinox 600

I'm about 2 years into using my equinox. 2 years 2 months detecting. I'm just now starting to feel a difference on hunting with it. I can pick out coins and have been doing that fairly easy since I got it. Now I'm starting to find stuff I would have passed over 6 months ago.

I don't know how others learn a detector but for me I will dig junk like I did today just to see if I can call it. Not all junk but the more questionable signals that many will pass over. Many people would have passed on the 16 I got today that turned out to be a gold ring. But the tone was different than other 16's I have had in the past. To me at this point THAT is where the magic of the Equinox is. I can't say for sure because I haven't had it long but that's how it feels. Every bit of it is a learning experience. No one can tell all the time what they are digging. Today I learned and got a gold ring for the effort.

I've been out several times with my Equinox 800 and I too am finding it loves the bottlecaps and garbage. I'm going to keep going at it though I have to admit, the E-trac seemed easier for me and I really understood the tones better. I liked having low tone nickels and I could "hear" the ridges of the bottlecap with the E-trac.. I'll eventually get the same love for the EQ800.. I've got a way to go to get there though..

I had the Equinox 800 for 2 years and 10 months and run it lots of hours. It found lots of nickels for me, but to get the nickels I dug lots of trash, with a ratio of 20 trash to 1 nickel. I like other detectors better than the Equinox for finding silver and older copper.

People always claim the Equinox is faster and better in trash then other detectors, I disagree with their claims.

I had the Equinox 800 for 2 years and 10 months and run it lots of hours. It found lots of nickels for me, but to get the nickels I dug lots of trash, with a ratio of 20 trash to 1 nickel. I like other detectors better than the Equinox for finding silver and older copper.

People always claim the Equinox is faster and better in trash then other detectors, I disagree with their claims.

Not going to find many silver coins in the nickel range other than silver nickels

Nox has 2 modes that anyone really ever used,park 1 or 2. The rest are imo useless.to a dirt hunter.Iron bias and recovery speed are pretty much set and forget for the most part.
I know what your saying about nuances and understanding deep dimes,,with fbs you don't need to really learn the nuances as much, my experience is when the nox starts getting iffy around 7 inches in dimes the fbs is still slamming them hard and no mistaking what it is. So that's what I'm saying about field time, when the nox starts giving out and the user hasto start using experience to determine if it's good or bad,,well at that point and beyond the fbs is still slamming that coin and pretty much a no brainer what it is....Not saying the nox isn't good,I have one too. But for me it gives out before a fbs

Wood I agree with a lot of what you say about different subjects. That said, either beach mode will crush field or park mode in depth. I use it exclusively now for all terrains. It gets signals the other two can't touch while in multi.

I've been out several times with my Equinox 800 and I too am finding it loves the bottlecaps and garbage. I'm going to keep going at it though I have to admit, the E-trac seemed easier for me and I really understood the tones better. I liked having low tone nickels and I could "hear" the ridges of the bottlecap with the E-trac.. I'll eventually get the same love for the EQ800.. I've got a way to go to get there though..

If the bottle cap has any rust at all the nox will let you know it's a bottle cap with a grunt as you back the coil off the target.

The nox isn't the be all end all of detectors. I still rather relic hunt with my 75.

I don't know how others learn a detector but for me I will dig junk like I did today just to see if I can call it. Not all junk but the more questionable signals that many will pass over. Many people would have passed on the 16 I got today that turned out to be a gold ring. But the tone was different than other 16's I have had in the past. To me at this point THAT is where the magic of the Equinox is. I can't say for sure because I haven't had it long but that's how it feels. Every bit of it is a learning experience. No one can tell all the time what they are digging. Today I learned and got a gold ring for the effort.

Tabs and bottle caps have a flatter tone than gold rings with the same numbers.

Wood I agree with a lot of what you say about different subjects. That said, either beach mode will crush field or park mode in depth. I use it exclusively now for all terrains. It gets signals the other two can't touch while in multi.

I have moved to using Beach 2 for dirt too. I'm not sure the reason, but it is much more stable and hits better on deeper targets for me.

I'll hafto give beach more a run then. Which do you think is better for coins? And what are your settings? Thanks

I'll hafto give beach more a run then. Which do you think is better for coins? And what are your settings? Thanks

I use Beach too.

Noise cancel
Auto tracking Ground Balance
Recovery 3-5
Iron Bias 4-6
Sensitivity 22-24
50 Tones
Notch out less than 9

Less than 4 Iron bias, and it falses on iron too much. If it's a clean site, I lower it.

Close to what Stiffwrist runs, just a bit different.

Noise cancel
Auto tracking Ground Balance
Recovery 3-5
Iron Bias 2-4
Sensitivity 24-25 unless emi is too much
5 Tones
I don't notch out anything

Yes and I got rid of it when I saw I was always hitting targets the Etrac could, but it couldn't hit targets the Equinox could, and way to often not to be a thing.
;;

The Nox may hit most targets the Etrac will but it won't hit them all. I know that for a fact. And it doesn't give nearly as good target I.D as FBS. While my Nox buddies are digging trash, I'm sniping silver. To each his own.

Back
Top Bottom