Coil questions, detector questions

TheFrood

Forum Supporter
What do the different coils do… For example on the DEUS II What is the difference between the 9 and 11 inch coils? Just surface area that is detected in each pass? How deep the detector can penetrate the ground? Frequencies/Hertz? What about some of these weird shaped coils that are long and thin? With the frequencies on the Deus should it be able to find small gold nuggets as well as the gold monster 1000? Would it be better to get 2 detectors like the legend and a gold monster, or to get an overall apparently higher end detector like the Deus II?

I’m fairly seriously considering upgrading from my old White’s MXT but really don’t understand what I would be getting into it with the newer detectors… I would like to be able to go detect smallish gold nuggets in the desert, but I also would like to be able to do relic/coin shooting as well… Any idea how much better a dedicated nugget detector will do than the legend/Deus? I’m not necessarily looking for advice, just want to hear a variety of different opinions since two of the detectors I mentioned are still very very new.

Thanks!

Scott

Calabash found a 10k earring back. It was a screaming signal with the D2. I've only seen one other video of the D2 on small gold nuggets and it was in Russian.

Smaller coils are typically used to get in between trash or iron to pick out items that are interfered with by other objects nearby. Small coils are also better on small gold.

So I was looking at the specifications and the gold monster 1000 uses 45kHz... so if the Deus II also uses 45kHz then should it theoretically be as good at finding small gold as the GM1k? Or should it do a BETTER job because it can use other frequencies along WITH the 45kHz? Or the Legend is up to 40kHz, so should it be almost as good or equal to the D2 when it comes to small gold?

So based on the above post coils size only influences the coverage area and not the depth or sensitivity, at least in regards to finding smaller gold nuggets at depth? Or will D2 and Legend not be good at smaller gold nuggets in comparison to the GM1k because the GM1k has a smaller coil option?

Sorry. I'm really trying to understand all of this so that I can fully take advantage of the new/best technology.

Thanks!

For the uses you stated (gold nuggets, relics, & coins), your best bet is a multi-frequency machine. Don't get too hung up on the marketing hype, there's much more than frequencies as to how well a detector will perform.

Without going down the technical rabbit holes, things to consider in a new machine are it's track record.

The Minelab Equinox checks all the boxes you asked for and has a proven record of doing very well in the gold fields, parks, and ghost towns.

The Deus II has shown very good performance at beaches and relic grounds, but has not been shown used in the highly mineralized gold fields yet, so it's performance is unknown there.

The Legend has not been released yet and only a few limited test videos were posted before it was recalled for upgrades. So it's performance in the goldfields and relic sites is a complete unkown at this time.

The Minelab Vanquish 440 & 540 will also handle coins and relics well, but not as hot on small gold nuggets.

The Garret Apex will do well on coins and reilcs but is not as good in the gold fields.

As far as coil sizes are concerned, smaller coils are better for increased separation, smaller targets, and for use more mineralized or trashy ground. Larger coils will give give more ground coverage and better depth in cleaner ground but that is reduced in highly mineralized or trashy ground.

Hope that helps.

I think part of the answer to your question is here:

https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/17852-frequency-more-about-target-size-than-type-of-metal/

The Deus II and Legend are still not in enough hands to have a consistent track record. From a "proven technology" standpoint, the Nox800 checks all the boxes you mention. With the small coil, it's very sensitive to small targets like tiny gold, and with larger coils, general detecting and beach as well. I have a Deus II on order, but that's because it's winter and I'm bored. I like to play with new tech, but if it was detecting season around here, I'd more likely be out detecting than surfing the forums.

JP

I think part of the answer to your question is here:

https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/17852-frequency-more-about-target-size-than-type-of-metal/

The Deus II and Legend are still not in enough hands to have a consistent track record. From a "proven technology" standpoint, the Nox800 checks all the boxes you mention. With the small coil, it's very sensitive to small targets like tiny gold, and with larger coils, general detecting and beach as well. I have a Deus II on order, but that's because it's winter and I'm bored. I like to play with new tech, but if it was detecting season around here, I'd more likely be out detecting than surfing the forums.

JP

+1 I would go with a proven machine, unless you can wait for some more in field test results with the new releases. Not much out there yet...

Back
Top Bottom