Cabin Fever - 15X17 NEL BIG for the AT-PRO - Air testing data

troynh

Just received a 15X17" NEL BIG for my AT-PRO from Ron at http://golddiggermetaldetectors.com/nelcoils.php and decided to do an air test between the 5x8, 8.5x11 and the 15x17 coils. I had hopes of doing a video but after the first round of editing I realized it was like watching paint dry. So, I went with a spread sheet of data instead.

Keep in mind that these results are on the outer limits of depth. I based the results on a consistent target sound. Not necessarily a telltale coin sound or target ID number but a consistent beep indicating that there is a target down there. The bell curve, IMO, would be to subtract 1” on every result if you solely relied on the target ID and sound for digging an object up. That said though millage may vary when actually pulling targets out of real soil rather than thin air... If anything, This exercise has reaffirmed to me the importance of digging everything!

Overall, I'm impressed with the NEL. It seems to ground balance well and sound as it should in my driveway but the proof is in the pudding. I can't wait to get the NEL out into open fields and yards that I have slammed over the years when the snow melts and the ground softens.

I tried to upload two PDF's but apparently you can only upload a file that is less than 20kb big... So, here are two links to the PDF's of my results.

2 clicks to the left on sensitivity: https://app.box.com/s/5rrfo7ixm7l852lb9idc
Full sensitivity: https://app.box.com/s/beoany2euxm1vol5bgxs

-Tim

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 2,967
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 1,592
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 1,605
  • BigFoot2.jpg
    BigFoot2.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 1,722
Great work troynh I'm looking at as many tests on these big NEL coils I can find and it looks like they are getting a steady 4 inches average more depth than the stock coils.

This is a big deal for me because I water hunt the big lakes where sand moving in and out makes all the difference in finding targets or hearing nothing.

Thanks and thanks for the link!

The 8.5x11 was the coil I did the most damage with I can't wait to hear how you do with that monster coil!!!!!

I have the Nel Tornado. 12"x13" for my AT-Pro.
I have found that it definitely goes deeper than the stock coils.
I bought it to cover more area while at the salt water beaches by me.
I did not like it for the beaches I hunt.
On the dry beach Sand I had to turn the sensitivity down a bit compared to the stock coil due to falsing. In the wet sand and water I had even more problems.
Probably due to the mineralization on our beaches.
I also noticed a definite difference in weight the longer I swung the coil as compared to the stock coil.

I had good depth and positive results with it inland.
I do suggest getting one of those bungee swingy thingies to save your arm.

I obviously assume that separation went down and that would have been also interesting to test...

I agree. Hopefully I'll have some real world testing complete in the next month or so when the ground softens. Can't beat the 5x8 for separating though!

This BIG coil is just another tool in my bag of tricks...

-Tim

Great job Troy - Well, I will never own one of those big NEL coils due to bad wrists, but your data was helpful just looking at the difference in depths between the 11 vs the 5x8 and it is very consistent with my results as well. With the 5x8 hitting an Indian at 9" at full sensitivity (which I did this past year in soil and measured) you gotta say that in most situations the 5x8 is gonna get it done - you are going to cover less ground, but if you are hitting small coins that deep it is a very productive coil for its size! Love mine. Thanks for putting this data together... :yes:

thanks for doing the legwork and posting your research, I just got an AT Pro, looking forward to getting"educated" on it when the snow melts...........you're gonna have a sore arm after a few hours with that thing on :p.

Is it hard to pinpoint with it?

It acts just like the standard double D on the ATP. However, as norbyx pointed out above, I'm sure there will be a separation issue if you have nails and a coin inches apart in the same hole. (It won't perform like the 5x8.)

Time will tell. Keep in mind that I haven't taken this out yet in the real world due to snow and hard ground.....

-Tim

A friend of mine just recently got the 'BIG' Nel coil for his at pro. He has used it for about a month now (weekend only), an so far he's not very happy with it. Not getting any more depth with it compared to the 8.5x11dd coil.Going to keep using it for awhile longer to try an get use to it. Of course hes not using it on a beach , he's a relic hunter an uses it primarily in the open woods or fields.

Well I bit the bullet, sold off some MD stuff I wasn't using and got the 15' NEL Attack coil from Colonial. Great folks to deal with BTW Thank you!

I went with the attack because the DD sweet spot is the same size as the NEL big but it weighs a a lot less. Matter of fact it's only a few oz heavier than the stock AT coil.

Fit and finish is excellent, coil cover came with it and it snaps on nice and tight although I won't be using it.
I hope to get some extra coverage and depth water hunting the big lake with this coil I have no intention of using it on land.

I can't do much with it right now because the house if full of WIFI and metal and outside it looks like freaking Antarctica.

Think spring, Pictures because it did happen!!!!! :D

NEL- (1)RS.jpg

NEL- (2)RS.jpg

NEL- (3)RS.jpg

NEL- (7)RS.jpg

Something tells me you'll be finding a bunch of Chinese coins with that... If you know what I'm saying;)

Heh heh, I hope you're right! I spent some time reading forums from Australia and the UK where folks have been using these coils since last April-May.

Sounded like the first units were a bit rocky and a few folks had to mail theirs back to NEL, but by late June all the bugs were out and the reviews were consistently favorable.

Sounds like 4 inches of added depth was average with some conditions allowing much more than that. Even just an added 3 inches is a huge advantage in water hunting.

I can't wait to get it wet! :D

Back
Top Bottom